Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'42/'47 Rebuild Project in Tsawwassen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 53>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 4:57pm
Toolbox installation complete. 
I also got the rear seat latch parts primed. And I picked up a piece of SS rod to make new rollers so I’ll be able to assemble 2 or 3 good rear seat latches next week. I’m still looking for replacement spring steel.

15 Field RCA
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:59pm
Nice work. Will you be using seam sealer around the tool box flange?

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:22pm
I was considering seam sealer but not sure if it will do any good. 
There are 3 good access points for water just by the design of the thing. I’ll never get it watertight so I thought it was better to not trap water in the joints but rather just let it flow by.

15 Field RCA
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:39pm
Nice job on your build Jon.For the spring steel you’re looking for would the pull cord recoil spring in small engine work if you cut the recoil spring the length you need it might work.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:04am
Giles,

I may be able to use the springs that were in there but they were pretty corroded so I would prefer to replace them. First I tried some metal banding from the lumber yard dumpster but is not strong enough. Then it occurred to me that the bug screens on our windows are held in with a metal band spring but again not strong enough. So I called my buddies dad, (who is the same age as the jeep). He’s been fixing small engines for decades. I asked him for some recoil spring but he says again too thin and weak for this application. Then he sent me here...

I have an email in to Dendoff Springs so I anticipate a trip out there this week. It’s not far.

If they have the appropriate material I was thinking of buying a bunch and cutting up some more rollers and possibly selling them as a rebuild kit. It might be a better option for people then spending $60 on a whole new latch. It’s an easy rebuild. I could type up some instructions with pictures. Just a thought.

Edited by 92889 - 04 May 2020 at 1:07am
15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 7:10am
I got my spring material. They had the .035 material but it only came in 1” wide bands. So I got 2’ of that and 2’ of .045”. I cut some up and so far so good. I still need to cut up some spring strips from the .045” and try that too.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:35pm
I got my daughter to help me place the tub on the frame.
It’s not perfect but it just needs a few tweaks later next week.

15 Field RCA
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:47pm
Looking good. A second set of hands is invaluable.
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:48pm
Congratulations on that milestone! It must be very satisfying to compare where you started from! Especially that last picture! What a difference! I continue to accumulate inspiration from your project!

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 7:22am
Thanks for the encouragement, it does feel like a milestone for sure. But still a long way to go yet.

I messed around with body alignment this evening. 13 of the 14 body mounts line up. That’s not too bad. I can adjust the frame bracket hole for the one that’s off. It’s the one under the drivers seat and fuel tank that threads up from below. Considering how much of the floor was replaced I’m happy with 13/14. I’d have to go back to check but I think the tub was held to the frame with 3 or 4 bolts total when I got it.

If you’ve been following along you may recall how much trouble I’ve had with the dual master cylinder “upgrade”. I thought I had it sorted but with the tub on I have new positioning issues with it. I think it needs to go forward and outboard to the left. I need to figure out how much travel of the brake pedal lever is normal and adjust from there. Not an insurmountable problem but definitely a pain in my ass!😡

And the third issue I have is at the back with the “Willys lean”. It’s making it difficult to couple up the rear tub mounts to the rear cross member. I jacked up the frame and that helped. I just hope it does not put a twist stress on the body when I get it all bolted up and release the jack. We’ll see.

Despite all that I am happy with the progress so far.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Edited by 92889 - 10 May 2020 at 5:10pm
15 Field RCA
Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 3:13pm
Congrats, you are almost there. 
Max
CJ2A 110861
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 1:19am
I took some measurements and made some adjustments.
I shortened the ram for the brake and shimmed the MC forward a bit. In theory ever should fit and operate properly now. I just need to weld up and reposition a couple holes and I’ll place the body back on the frame.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 12:33am
Well happy day!!
I made a few more tweaks and got the tub mounted to the frame. All 14 body mount bolts are in and I used my home made rubber mounting pads that I cut out at a tire with a hole saw. Clutch and brake both operate properly. I took it for a very small spin around a very small back yard today. I’m very happy. I still need to use a small amount body filler to smooth out the exterior but first I’ll get the fenders, grill, hood and windshield repaired and mounted to the frame. 

15 Field RCA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 12:16pm
Jon, well done as always with your work! Did you happen to take any close-up shots of the temporary 'gauge cluster' and fuel bottle you created for your test drives?
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 3:03pm
The only gauge I have on there right now is oil pressure and that’s just hanging out in the breeze.

The ‘panel’ I made was to organize the electrical components when I wired the engine. I’ll have to reconfigure that so I have room for the fenders. 

And the fuel bottle is just a juice jug wired to the front of the frame.

15 Field RCA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 3:13pm
Excellent, thanks Jon. It's useful to see how other restorers prep for the initial shake-down run. And just enough gas in the "lemonade" bottle...
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by 92889 92889 wrote:

I started working on my hitch receiver today.
It’s going well. I’ll have it welded in next time I get to it.
Not my idea, I’m just copying what I saw others do on the internet. I’ll be able to insert and remove a modern hitch receiver or bike rack. I also have a plan to make a kayak/surfboard rack that will fit in there too when required.

I reallyyyy like this hitch idea. Was planning on bolting harbor freight universal receiver onto bottom of factory hitch bar, but I like this much better. Probably going to go the same route.  Are you worried about the height at all? I guess there's always a drop hitch option as well. And did you just butt the square tubing up against the crossmember above the axle or did you cut a hole in it as well?
1947 CJ2a
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 3:46pm
There is no hole cut in the crossmember above the axle. I just butt it up against there and welded it together.

A guy commented on a Facebook post that the ball would interfere with the tailgate opening. I’m not worried about it. I’ll just arrange the tailgate chains so the tailgate only opens to a flat position. And your correct a drop down hitch would solve that as well. I do need to attach loops to receive chains. But this setup wasn’t really for towing anything. My intention was for a bicycle rack or kayak rack to go in there. But I will attach loops at some point to take the safety chains.

During installation I held the receiver bar in place by clamping a piece of material laterally between the V brace to make sure I did not end up too high and interfere with where the bottom of the tub rests.

I hope that helps you. Send pictures when you’re done.

Edited by 92889 - 19 May 2020 at 3:49pm
15 Field RCA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 53>