Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'42/'47 Rebuild Project in Tsawwassen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 53>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 2:59pm
Just like a pro it’s looking good.Hard work pays off. 👍🏻

Giles

1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 7:18pm
Thanks....

It’s out baking in the sun now. 4 good days of weather ahead.

15 Field RCA
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 7:44pm
That's almost a Hi-Viz color! For those of us who follow your excellent work, let's call it "Envy Green."
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 7:46pm
LR47,

You may be overstating that a bit but thanks. 
It definitely passes the 20’ test however.

15 Field RCA
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2020 at 6:36am
It's....bright, that's for sure!  But it looks pretty good from here.  Thumbs Up  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 2:04am
I’m getting some more projects done while the paint cures for a week.

Today is fuel tank restoration day.

I sealed all the holes. 
Used the wash formula twice through. 
Gave it a good rinse and a dry.

Here I have the etching formula soaking. Each surface gets 30 minutes then rotate to soak a new surface.

Then another rinse and dry.

Finally slosh around the coating. Drain excess. Clean threaded holes. And let it dry.

Hopefully good as new.

I’ll try get a photo of the finished inside of the tank once it cures.
15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 2:17am
I went a little overkill with the temporary patch over the sending unit hole. But it did the job. I watched a few how to video before sealing the tank and a common issue is the duct tape covering the holes coming off.

I also bought a fuel line plug to avoid the hassle of dealing with duct tape and spilled chemicals. $1 well invested.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2020 at 8:01pm
I think the tank lining went well.

Here are some pictures of the inside:

After chemical etching the metal and rinsing it thoroughly...

Here it is after drying with the heat gun...

And this is after applying the coating and draining off the excess..

I took my time and got good even coverage.
I finished up by removing all the plugs and cleaning all the threads.

I’ll post again tomorrow when it dries.
15 Field RCA
oops1215 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oops1215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 12:37am
Looking Good! What size is the fuel tank plug? 
Thank you!
Brian
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 4:03am
What kit did you use for the tank?   Thanks
Mike in AZ
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 5:06am
The fuel tank plug is a 1/4” Fuel fitting. Not sure of the TPI. I took the cut off fuel line and threaded fuel line fitting in to the auto parts store and they matched it up.

The tank rehab kit is from POR15.
I read the instructions about 4 times and watched some YouTube videos. I followed the instructions meticulously. If I made a mistake maybe I did not slosh the final coating around long enough. I did roll it around thoroughly for a 1/2 hour but some areas look to have a thinner coating than others. Granted it is hard to see in there. The instructions did not specify a time for the final coat. Also it would be nice to know when it’s going to start to thicken. I thought I had 30 min to an hour but in reality it was about 2 1/2 hours before the final coating started to thicken. Had I known that I would have kept rolling it around in there for a full hour or so before draining off the excess.

However, I am happy with the product and I’m sure it will work out ok.

15 Field RCA
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2020 at 5:30pm
I used the por15 kit maybe 8 years ago and haven't had a problem with it. I did 4 jerry cans at the same time and still had some left over.
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2020 at 6:05am
I had a go at getting the rubber in the outside of the window frame. You can’t do it dry that’s for sure. So I lubed it up with dish soap and started from the centre. 

When I laid the rubber out it was about an inch short on each end of the window frame. After I pressed it all in starting at the center the rubber hung past the ends by about 3/4 inch. Obviously the rubber pulled a wee bit with each press into the channel.

So I pulled it apart and started again. This time I pressed in the centre first then each end. Then I pressed in the rubber every 4 inches or so. Then I went back and pressed in the rest of the rubber.

Success!

I’ll get it in to the windshield shop soon for new glass.
15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 12:57am
The glass is in.
Local shop. They did a great job.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2020 at 5:47am
So it was a long weird jeep day today. Ken my good friend and co-builder came by today. Our intention was to get the body mounted to the frame today. However first we had to add a T to the brake line to accept a brake pressure sensor. Then we had to bleed the brake lines again to get any air out. Ken looks at the wheels and says, I think your brake mounting plates are on backwards. So we take the wheels off, pull the brake drums to have a look. Turns out I have installed all 4 brakes incorrectly. We had to remove the hubs, axles everything to get the brake plates off and swap them left for right then reinstall the brakes properly.

In my defence I took pictures when I dismantled them and put it back together the same way. Which just means the previous owner was as useless as me.

A whole day of work but it’s good we caught it and fixed it and it’s back on all 4 wheels with properly functioning brakes.

It’s good to have smart friends.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2020 at 10:53pm
I finally got around to assembling my WARN locking hubs with the brass selectors and swapped out the ones on there with the plastic parts. I think all the brake and hub work yesterday motivated to finish this part of the project.

This is the style that I removed. I’ll keep them as spares.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2020 at 12:13am

I also cleaned up the light switch. It seems to test ok with the multimeter.

15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2020 at 12:16am
And I got some plywood seat pans cut and installed.

15 Field RCA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 53>