Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

im excited on the first ride when i realize the sound of metal bouncing down the road behind me is a wrench or ratchet i left on the frame rail or somewhere, and not a PART of the Jeep Smile

It's amazing how totally immersed and focused on every noise, smell and vibration a first road ride is LOL

(and on several occasions I've driven around for months while simultaneously not being able to find a socket in my garage, only to serendipitously find it right on the nut or bolt I left it on Embarrassed )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:36pm
im excited on the first ride when i realize the sound of metal bouncing down the road behind me is a wrench or ratchet i left on the frame rail or somewhere, and not a PART of the Jeep Smile
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

excellent...must feel good!!

You would know LOL Wink... it was chilly late yesterday, we bombed around about a half hour, me in my short sleeve tee shirt.  I had no clue how cold I actually was 'til well after we got back Tongue.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 3:28pm
excellent...must feel good!!

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 3:16pm
Congrats, Super sharp lookin Jeep all around! Been following along on your project since I joined, good sense of humor too. J W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Looks really great out in the sun!...

It's a pretty good twenty footer with my 53yo eyes LOL... better at 50ft Wink.

This exercise to this point has been making it solid mechanically so I can get a couple good years driving and tinkering.  Once I get my last through the next three years of tuition the plan is to try and pick up another driver and take this one frame off for body work ... (lotsa plastic... and pop rivets Confused)

That sounds like a good plan! I've got about 18 more years to go until I can do the same Wink
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Looks really great out in the sun!...

It's a pretty good twenty footer with my 53yo eyes LOL... better at 50ft Wink.

This exercise to this point has been making it solid mechanically so I can get a couple good years driving and tinkering.  Once I get my last through the next three years of tuition the plan is to try and pick up another driver and take this one frame off for body work ... (lotsa plastic... and pop rivets Confused)
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 1:49pm
Looks really great out in the sun! Awesome work Thumbs UpThumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 12:36pm
Maybe my impatience wasn't coming through, lol.  Thank you for the continued motivation.  My punchlist is getting smaller, but right now focus has to shift over to the boring rigs in my fleet LOL   PA this coming weekend, NH the next so not so worried about getting the 2A through state inspection, but I have three other vehicles with over 100k on the clock to get inspected between now and august... and they all need sumpin' Confused
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 11:22am
Looks and sounds great! You are correct, wrenching is OK, but driving is a hell of a lot better, and the point of the the whole wrenching exercise!

Plowshare, I believe, is the closest serial number to Ol' Red that regularly posts on here and I have followed your thread for it seems like forever while you patiently "got it together". Nothing like that first ride...congratulations and keep on jeepin'!

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:59am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Congratulations my friend!! 

Thanks, A Tongue ... first time the sun has been on it in over a year Embarrassed
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 12:36am

ya gotta love swap meets...
O yes you gotta love the swap meets, wow nice find
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 12:22am
Congratulations my friend!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 11:46pm
So the last week or so have been mundane progress... I mean, who wants to read posts on me changing a tire tube, or adding a missing lug nut Smile

So today was roll out in the sun - day...clean out and cleanup.  ...and the 2A sat in the driveway while other duties called.  As the afternoon waned, it came time to consider rolling back in the garage.

The hell with it.  Dan (my eldest's boyfriend)...lets go for a rip Cool

It was cool out, my freshy throwout bearing chirped for a short while, wore in just enough and stopped complaining in the first half mile, and the genset engine really tugged.... all the effort worth the effort. No pop out of second on decel... life is good Thumbs Up

The audio is awful, the engine purrs compared to the video... random future son in law cameo in the middle, lol.

A quarter way round we passed a TJ and got the wave... a half way round we passed a mid thirties sedan of some sort, and exchanged thumbs up LOL... good to be back on the road... i DO enjoy wrenching, but if I couldn't drive it there'd be no point Wink

Edited by mbullism - 04 June 2018 at 3:18pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

...So some where between 1942 and 1948 they changed...

That which is not illegal is legal LOL

Thanks for the feedback, Stev, much appreciated.  Full disclosure, my 69750 SN puts it end of October early November 46.  I removed what looked like "ordinary" heavy staples in remnants of what looked like horsehair... but I have zero history for my 2a beyond it looks like the tub has been off at least once, there is bodywork and 3 repaints since the factory (no idea if grill is original, but is assumed as the back looks like factory paint).  

I liked the looped staple look when I saw the pic that you "refound" for me and ran with it, mostly because it doesn't look like what they would do today Thumbs Up

Mike
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 1:35pm
mbullism,

Awesome work on your Jeep. I wanted to revisit the grill staples - I don't know when they changed the new style staples.  At the 26 Mid West Willys Reunion there was a gentleman from Illinois with a very correct 1948 barn find CJ2A (26,000 mile on the odometer).  The 1948 had the newer style staples on what looked to be the remains of original hair.  My guess based on the serial number is this was made mid year in 1948.  My 1942 MB had the earlier style staples with the loops.  So some where between 1942 and 1948 they changed.  I still think the loop style look awesome.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:03pm
The original gasket between the two halves of the housing was paper... the 12v guts were a hair too fat leaving about 3/16 to make up.  I didn't spend any time looking for original fasteners since they would be too short anyway, and I already left the "stock" station.

Honestly, I considered using a voltage drop and running the other "original" horn, but I own this, and it looks enough the part Thumbs Up

Edited by mbullism - 22 May 2018 at 12:16pm
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:41am

So headed for paint to disguise the bright fasteners.  I'll never admit to what I used for gasket material Tongue
      When I first read this I thought gasket? what gasket? Do you think it's needed, I used the original slotless threaded screws (they really are the hardware from hell!) Want to avoid taking apart if I have to. Thanks Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>