Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2016 at 10:44pm
Always welcome a second set of eyes... keeps me from cheatin', lol... the stud issue resolved, going to chase threads for the remaining studs and then clean gasket surfaces in prep for a quick valve lap.  
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2016 at 3:59pm
your valves look really good, for me it must be the wet coast air as my exuast valves were so badly pitted if i tried to lap or grind they would have fallen throughLOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2016 at 12:12pm
So Saturday was valve lap day... Won't bore ya to tears with before and after pics of all 8, just the prime offender should cover it Smile

Exhaust on number 3, which was the valve that was stuck open when I got the engine... The before is as far as atf/acetone and a brass wire brush will go, it was much worse LOL... they all cleaned up decent.  It's not a mirror finish, but I expect it'll wear in fine.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2016 at 12:14pm
So with the valves tightened up, I had thoughts of pulling pistons, running a hone and re-ringing...but I can still see cross hatching in every bore.  I decided to measure the bores and let that be my guide on what to do next.  I think I'm done, lol.  To the extent I can repeat measurements using a telescoping bore gage and a digital caliper, the bores are spec... the only minor hiccup is the 3.1265 transverse at the top of number one.  Not for being over the 3.127 max, just it's a bit over it's longitudinal partner at 3.125... I'm gonna run with it.  I think the only risk is not finding a broken ring that may be lurking, but the bores look so good I'll risk that-
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2016 at 12:16pm
Flipped over, and went through the rods and mains... well, two of three mains as I didn't take the rear main seal cap off...  everything looks decent, and meets spec.

The front main was 0.0017ish, the middle a hair under 0.002, both under the 0.0025 max, the rods are 0.0014/0.0017/0.0015/0.0015, again with a max of 0.0025"...

Time to start putting things back together instead of taking things apart  Cool

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2016 at 3:17pm
Its nice when you are into a motor and you dont have a oh s*#! moment and its aSmile i have a good motor
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 12:44pm
Last couple weekends cluttered with other "stuff", the best I could manage was using the 2A for errands, runs to the (beer) store... long weekend now, so gotta get things moving forward instead of back... chasing some threads with taps, some with brushes, some with both... W-T-H is that?  what starts out looking like a bit of something at the bottom of a water jacket port becomes "this" with a little judicious use of needle nose pliers:
and then this.... like pulling a thread on a sweater
Confused
It was quite a tug... whilst I was pulling this out the back I kept looking up the front to see if the water pump pulley was spinning-

Edited by mbullism - 10 Oct. 2016 at 12:48pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 12:55pm
few more threads...
The rough work done, time to clean everything and get moving forward (finally)
valves going in...
A proper valve adjust (three times around)
Hide them away Smile ... it feels good not seeing them anymore, lol
Studs "R" us...
So the last of the day, Pat's game on in the background, cleaned up the oil pan mating surface, re-installed the sump float... hadn't planned on painting the oil pan, but it had been OD'd without primer and the paint was falling off... stripped to bright and a coat of self etching primer.

Haven't really decided on what to do with the overall paint... want to get it buttoned back up before crossing that bridge.  All the little decal type touches are damaged in one way or another.  Part of me wants to keep as much of the original paint as possible, but it's so spotty.  I've got an 800376 head coming, I may just install it and give everything a shot of black to seal it up...  TBD

Oil pan going on this morning-

Edited by mbullism - 10 Oct. 2016 at 1:10pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 4:55pm
 When the sand core was set-up for the block casting process, it was common for a wire(s) to be inserted in the sand to help hold it together. When the sand was washed out of the newly-cast block, the wire remained. We used to find them in Flathead V8 cylinder heads all the time.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 11:27pm
Thanks, Bruce W... I had no idea-

Who breaks a lock washer at 5 lb-ft? Confused
to add insult to injury, when I removed the bolt, half the washer fell in the gd hole... "chapter 53" Sleepy
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 12:08am
...sounds just like something that would happen to me...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 12:40pm
So not directly project related, I've been the last year waiting for a fitting name for my rig to present itself... sort of know it when you hear it kinda thing- I've wrestled with various monikers, and none have fit, or stuck.

Given the 2A's direct lineage to it's military bretheren, and the VEC the forging transition to what would become the '46 et al, "Plowshare" seems fitting

((With apologies to anyone else flying this flag...a search here revealed none)

Edited by mbullism - 11 Oct. 2016 at 12:43pm
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 1:56pm
I have problems coming up with names as well. The white 3B is the B. The camo Commando is the C. My motorhome has been called a lot of things by people. I just call it the Runamucca.
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2016 at 7:22pm
so after several weeks of room renovations, deer season,college campus visits and applications yada yada Confused I finally squirreled away enough credits to be able to say "not today, Hon"... I'm playing jeep today Tongue

My 800376 civy head gets "militarized" with a bypass hose nipple installation.  Absolutely nothing like taking a perfectly good part you searched out and paid fair money for...and drilling a hole in it-

Edited by mbullism - 25 Nov. 2016 at 7:26pm
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2016 at 9:33pm
Looking good.nice job
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 9:08pm
weekend time coming at a premium, trying to drag things forward... Aprils comin', baby Smile
Two coats of high heat... the plan will be to get everything assembled, scuff em up and give everything one last coat.  

While I've gone out of my way to keep the 2A running on the chance of an indian summer afternoon, we've reached the point where I'm going to start "scavenging" bolt-ons from the Henry J engine (carb/manifolds/fuel pump/dizzy/etc to assemble as much of the RMC as possible on the stand before the swap...

did I mention April is coming?  Confused
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2016 at 9:42pm
...and my vinyl showed up
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2017 at 3:57pm
UGH... happy freekin new year to me, lol... after dutifully soaking manifold nuts/studs/mating surfaces/etc. over a period of two weeks, and a new years wedding commitment in the rear view, 6:30am found me pulling pieces.

You know that sinking feeling you get when things go too well?  Pinch   Every nut/stud/gasket/whatever gave it up too easy...walk in the park easy...
and in the end it almost didn't matter a tinkers damn...
That extra little piece laying there was broken when I got to it...hell, likely made the trip back from MI broken like that a year ago October, lol.  Ya kinda know I was counting on reusing it on the RMC set up.  Ah well, it's only money...and time... and grrrrrrrrrr.  (I think I may have sourced a replacment, you know who you are, lol... brazing this is not entirely off the table yet)

In other news, the lump(s) on the engine stand(s) continue to get heavier, and I have all the parts to marry them together
...and it's not like I don't have anything to do, lol
I truly HATE the cleaning and painting part, lol, but MAN, I love pulling off that masking tape, lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>