Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

I'm jealous of that sweet half cab. 

If I told you what I paid for it you might be mad at me LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 5:06pm
Did you get a screaming deal on it? If so, I will be mad.

Edited by TateC - 01 Oct. 2018 at 5:10pm
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

Did you get a screaming deal on it? If so, I will be mad.

Lol... PM inbound 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 6:38pm
I ain’t mad. I would like a half cab though. And a winch. There was one on CL in Wyoming a couple weeks ago Tate. To far for me though. 
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 6:56pm
Mike is that top still on Craigslist? If so can I get a link?
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 7:50pm
I looked it’s not there anymore. Surf CL they pop up now and again.
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 7:55pm
The purpose of the of the road form is to keep you registration and insurance if you don't get your car inspected on time. The insurance company can and will cancel your insurance and notify the RMV. This is not such a big deal if you register as an antique vehicle with insurance from Grundy or such as they don't seem to care how much you drive it or whether you have a current inspection. Antique insurance costs a lot less than regular and  agreed value coverage will pay a lot more than regular if anything bad happens.

DonH
1946CJ2A
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 8:26pm
Forget to add you could probably get an antique vanity plate that says the same as your current regular plate

DonH
1946CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2018 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by DonH DonH wrote:

The purpose of the of the road form is to keep you registration and insurance if you don't get your car inspected on time. The insurance company can and will cancel your insurance and notify the RMV. This is not such a big deal if you register as an antique vehicle with insurance from Grundy or such as they don't seem to care how much you drive it or whether you have a current inspection. Antique insurance costs a lot less than regular and  agreed value coverage will pay a lot more than regular if anything bad happens.

DonH

Thanks for the reply, Don.  I get it, my ignorance, I guess.  I never have bothered cuz I never heard of it til now.  This last stint uninspected was almost 18 months. The RMV didn't have any trouble taking my renewal money (passenger vanity plate, renew yearly) and you KNOW the insurance company took my money LOL... Next time Wink

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2018 at 6:28pm
Hey, the winch isn't gonna spin itself LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 5:01pm
New years eve day,and so begins the season of rebuilds downstairs by the wood stove Smile... sink or swim, actually...27*F in the garage, 94*F in the basement Confused... pick your poison LOL

First order of business is disassembly of my parts T90 to see what's good.  Quick recap, this T90 was a throw in on a different parts deal.  Was reportedly rebuilt and had problems jamming almost immediately.  Guy just handed it to me he was so disgusted with it, and he had sold the jeep.  I could see the syncro dogs were broken, but everything else looked really good...the plan is to source what's good, or at least better, than whatever is in the original T90 from 69750.

So first things first,drain what little oil is left in the bottom out... you guessed it, golden yellow (case pic out of sequence for effect) and the obvious smell of typical 90w hypoid gear oil
The dogs all have at least one end missing, one is missing both ends...I can only find 3 of the 4 pieces.  My guess is the missing piece went out with the bath water when they drained it to swap it out.  The hub springs are a shape I've not seen to date.  Round wire like the originals(?) I'm familiar with, but instead a bent drop in the middle to index the clutch hub.  Can't tell if the springs caused a problem or were a victim to the pieces.  All the brass is suspect and getting replaced anyway, but the blocking rings took some damage anyway, so bye bye
Everything else looks new... brand new.  Cluster shaft says made in usa, so that's at least good news, possibly Novack...
gotta verify needles... 14 sounds right for the input shaft... 88 for the cluster?  minor.  
This thing is a score.  Going to go the sealed front bearing route, ditch the slinger.  I have springs and dogs, need new rings and thrust washers (which I would have bought anyway) and all I really need from the original parts is the case Thumbs Up

Next up is disassembly of the original TC so I can possibly place one parts order.  I think the new to me PTO just needs a good cleaning, so just gaskets and I'll look to make all three play together.  If I can get these all happy in January, February will be refurbing a front and rear axle to swap the originals out of 69750 and go through them.  The ultimate winter plan is to get all the original running gear situated in my new to me frame by March... we'll see how life treats me LOL

Edited by mbullism - 31 Dec. 2018 at 5:06pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 9:58pm
So the original T90 was popping out of second gear, but rather than park it while removing and rebuilding I sourced another T90 to rebuild to quick swap and minimize down time... the first rebuild crept into a (extra) TC rebuild and an engine swap.  In short, the first T90 was rebuilt before I had the original out, and the condition of the original one went by the wayside in the hustle to get the engine swap done...

When you dig out the 5 gallon bucket with the original T90 in it, and find it needing only slightly more than the parts tranny you just pulled apart to fix it (a mind is a terrible thing to waste, lol)  Went out in the garage stash and found two gasket sets... the stuff you forget ;)

Tomorrow I'll be going through both with a mic and calipers, but from here it looks like two sets of rings, thrust washers, sealed front bearings and a novack cluster shaft and I'll be refurbing them both Thumbs Up
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

So the original T90 was popping out of second gear, but rather than park it while removing and rebuilding I sourced another T90 to rebuild to quick swap and minimize down time... the first rebuild crept into a (extra) TC rebuild and an engine swap.  In short, the first T90 was rebuilt before I had the original out, and the condition of the original one went by the wayside in the hustle to get the engine swap done...

When you dig out the 5 gallon bucket with the original T90 in it, and find it needing only slightly more than the parts tranny you just pulled apart to fix it (a mind is a terrible thing to waste, lol)  Went out in the garage stash and found two gasket sets... the stuff you forget ;)

Tomorrow I'll be going through both with a mic and calipers, but from here it looks like two sets of rings, thrust washers, sealed front bearings and a novack cluster shaft and I'll be refurbing them both Thumbs Up

Nice! I know a guy who would take one of your rebuilds...hint....hint.....LOL

I'll be looking to you for some guidance on a T90. Mine pops out of second now and again. I have a spare on the bench to go through. The first spare I took apart was junk. But at least I learned how to pull one apart!  
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 4:54am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

...hint....hint.....LOL

Damn!  the "double hint"...wink...wink...LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 6:18pm
Parts are all here to build one T90, sorting through each of both taking the best of each for 69750's case.  I thought hardened needle bearings were bad when they grenaded...and they are, but the little bits that crack off those syncro hub dogs are no slouch either... couple gear teeth to dress edges, meh, but the real downer was an otherwise really nice main shaft gone to hell... two of those roller bearings had chips as well Angry...
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 7:25pm
Ouch!  Fortunately NOS mainshafts are available at a reasonable price. I just used one in my T90 rebuild.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Ouch!  Fortunately NOS mainshafts are available at a reasonable price. I just used one in my T90 rebuild.

the truly fortunate thing is I have another shaft in great shape ready to step up Wink 

I can accept a part getting all worn out... I just hate an otherwise decent part getting taken out CryLOL
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2019 at 10:26pm
Nice pics and info MB!Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>