Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 5:39pm
   mbullism

Hey, I was just for the first-time this morning watching the Rick Stiver's videos and guess what !   _ _ _ he uses a sealed-bearing on the input shaft.

The work never ends right !

Len
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 6:13pm
I used Novak's T90 rebuild kit on the transmission I just finished. The kit came with a sealed bearing. It seems fine to me.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 7:09pm
Oh, I'm all about the sealed bearing Thumbs Up... (at the obvious risk of jinxing everything LOL) The T90/D18 I rebuilt and am currently running have not leaked, seeped, weeped, dripped or discharged a drop.  Both were rebuilt pre Stivers vids, and possibly metalshapers (though I so love his method of assembling the syncro hub, lol)...

The one thing I cannot figure out is why Rick reinstalled the oil slinger at the front with the sealed bearing.  Seems like delivering oil to the back of the sealed bearing is daring it to leak between the inner race and main gear/shaft, or the outer race and the case, all without any benefit to the bearing...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 4:23pm
The casting and assembly dates fit with my estimated build date of 10/31/46...
(I love this part, lol)

Edited by mbullism - 14 Jan. 2019 at 2:07pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 11:00am
Looking good! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 11:56am
So this got sidelined a little bit... lotta wood stove days lately Smile.  My work space is just a wee bit uncomfortable most days.
I'm guessing the paint is cured out LOL

Finally got a warm enough day to justify no stove, and my assembly lube wasn't a liquid LOL... but roadblocked again.  My reverse idler gear bushing was just a little loose, I had a spare bushing, so I swapped it out.  Now I sit waiting on a reamer Ermm
...and on to the next victim
always, always, always open an inspect used parts to the fullest extent possible, lesson learned.  This pto operated smoothly on the bench.  Opening it revealed stuck roller bearings with the inner races acting as bushings as the shafts spun in them, the chain stretched to borderline (just starting to chew into the case) and the seals rock hard...
spent a couple hours sourcing new bearings and seals, going to strip paint and finish cleaning it up today, then wait for parts Ermm...

Time to take the winch apart Thumbs Up
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 2:52pm
Great progress. 

I have the same PTO controller with a stretched chain that is eating into the case. I have been meaning to look into replacing the chain but got sidetracked with other things. Do you know what type of chain it is for replacement? No reason not to piggy back off of someone else's research.  LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 3:18pm
I believe it's standard #50 roller chain... I know it's a #50 chain, some of the links say "50" on them and the dimensions fit, I just have to verify it's not heavy duty "50H" with the thicker side plates (and twice the capacity).  I haven't found a dimension for the side plate thicknesses yet, and plan to swing by tractor supply to verify it. FWIW, TS is the cheapest plf I've found for #50... trouble is I have to buy a ten foot piece Wacko... by the time I go through Mcmaster Carr or similar to buy 2-3 feet and pay shipping they're close enough that the convenience of TS is worth an extra couple bucks and 7-8 feet I don't need, lol.  In short, if I go that route I'll send you a piece ;)

ETA:  for folks that may come along after, The #50 Roller chain at TS is a match for what came out of my PT1-J Smile  (It does say "CHINA" on it, you'll make your own call on that Pinch)

Edited by mbullism - 19 Feb. 2019 at 12:39pm
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 11:21pm
I've always marveled at what these little machines could accomplish via a small hunk of chain.....

Very cool! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I've always marveled at what these little machines could accomplish via a small hunk of chain.....

Very cool! 

I wasn't expecting printed circuits inside, but the simplicity of this pto is only a step or two above a stick with a string wrapped around it ... K.I.S.S. LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2019 at 9:55pm
The reamer showed up for my reverse idler, the ORIGINAL T90 for my 69750 is "in the can" as they say. Seals, bearings and chain for the pto showed up,the large parts are cleaned, squared and threads chased.  Tomorrow some small parts to clean up, the lever to paint, and we're on to the winch...or the heater...or the front axle, or the- LOL
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2019 at 10:01pm
Looks great. Did you get a full face front gasket for the T90? 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Looks great. Did you get a full face front gasket for the T90? 
I'm a LOOOoooong way away from that gasket  Embarrassed 

(the significance of this T90 is that it is the first piece of my 69750 parallel rebuild Smile )
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 2:13pm
Well then, you are off to a great start!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2019 at 10:42pm
Oof... tough weekend Confused

First i find the spring has popped off one of the seals for the pto... and fortunately it's in behind a pressed in bearing Thumbs Down  Best part?  Access from either side only 5/8" dia... 45 minutes playing "Operation" with dental tools to get that fool spring back on the seal... but a success is a success... you can't always pick'em LOL

The seal corrected I turn back to assembling the pto.  Once dry fit everything, then reassemble with gasket shellac, bearing mount, grease etc.  I get maybe five minutes in and realize the main shaft is bent Angry...really bent.  Didn't notice it before because I was pissed to find the bearings frozen, and the seals gone...the chain stretched.  All in the past.

Work the problem.

Can't run it between centers, so I set  a bearing  and center the gear... the bearing surface at the gear is running good, the face of the gear is 90*... the shaft at the next bearing surface runs out 2 thousandths.  I'll take that.  The end of the shaft where the sprocket fits the spline runs out 70+... Wacko

No way this works with a tight chain without rumbling itself.  Two hours of setting it up in the press, estimating how far to go to get a little yield without going too far, take it back downstairs set it back up in the lathe, measure, mark high spots, back out in the garage, press, measure, press.... success is taken at it running 6-8 out...  I'm adding new shaft to my want list, but this will run for now.
I spent most of the morning straightening my shaft, and finished up by polishing my knob LOL

Don't tell my wife Thumbs Up

Edited by mbullism - 05 Mar. 2019 at 11:32am
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2019 at 11:48pm
Certain things should be kept private young man. LOLLOL

Nice work! PTO looks great! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 7:05pm
Thanks, NF 😉

Next!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 8:56pm
Heaters stripped and off to soak... looks like the black one is 40’s, the green one ‘55.  Not sure either core is salvageable, but the older looks better than the newer...

Next!

Edited by mbullism - 04 Mar. 2019 at 9:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 25>