Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 10:33pm
Very nice sir! Nice to see the tag along hitched up all proper like. They do tow nice don't they! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2019 at 12:18am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

They do tow nice don't they! 

I'm a little upset you trailer people didn't tell me LOL... happy to find out on my own, but if I knew this three years ago.....ErmmThumbs Up

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 12:38am
Painted mine last week. Just waiting for a day of not working on the B to get it assembled. Maybe tomorrow, now that I fixed the oil slick. I'm still trying to decide if I keep the pintle or not.. Yours came out mighty fine mister. Want to come over and show off your skills? šŸ˜
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 12:13pm
I've been living with a leak I could not find for a while now, slightly high idle and had to run with just a little choke.  I  sprayed around everything, and even tried propane... nothing.  The little bit of blue smoke I had was written off to valve guides.  I had to add a quart of oil a couple weeks back but thought nothing of it after all the driving I've been doing... til Saturday when I had to add another quart.

I pulled the pcv and found it "well oiled"... dripping, actually.  The valve is not being pulled closed at idle, leaving me an open "intake leak" I couldn't find by spraying, and at my slightly elevated idle rpm near high vacuum it was just sucking oil to be burned off.  This is cleaned up, but really nothing jumping out at me "wrong":

I temporarily plugged the hole in the manifold and instantly idling like a kitten down to around 500 rpm with no choke.  It's been time for a valve adjust, I'm going to strip back to the valve cover and redo everything back out.  Still a little puzzled, but thrilled to have finally found "something" Confused

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 1:40pm
Very Interesting MB, I'm thinking cleaning of the PVC (PCV Embarrassed) valve should be added to the maintenance routine. I would have not thought about that, well done Thumbs Up

Edited by ggordon49 - 05 Aug. 2019 at 2:42pm
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2019 at 1:46pm
Yay!  Valve adjust day is finally here Thumbs Up (sarcasm Ermm)
I knew this would be coming fast the day I lapped the valves, and I've been putting it off... and now I know why LOL.  First order of business was to clean up some of that NH mud splatter to get the surgical area clean...ugh.
Second order of business was this coffee table puzzle getting this cover outta here, lol, but there is a way... thank goodness
no boring pics of feeler gauges and all, but it was pretty easy with the fender off, well worth the time.  Only one of eight valves required no adjustment, and several were way off.  Test drive was much "quieter" Embarrassed  

Last order of business was redoing the pcv stuff on the way back to whole...
A little time with a vac gauge, timing light and a tach and we're happily idling around 7-800rpm without the choke.  Still needs a little tweaking and dialing in, but hopefully the oil consumption is in the past.  Next step is new (clean) plugs, rechecking points and dwell, and a final vac gauge timing session... oh, and get the rest of NH in the bucket Wink
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2019 at 2:17pm
I need to adjust my valves too. Did you remove the valve cover with the fuel pump on? I dont want to remove the exhaust or manifolds. I will remove the fender. Getting that cover off and out looks challenging. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 12:40am
I found exactly one way to slide the the loose cover rearward far enough to then clear the exhaust and remove the cover towards the front... I did, however, have to hold my tongue just right, and squint with my left eye LOL
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 5:20am
So did you ā€œfixā€ the PCV?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Spinnas Spinnas wrote:

So did you ā€œfixā€ the PCV?

I believe so, but ultimately time will tell.   ...and by fix i mean i replaced everything from the valve cover gasket to the intake taking extra care at every interface.  it no longer acts like it has a vacuum leak and idles well without the choke, i just need to watch for future oil consumption.  i put a 50 mile spin on it yesterday afternoon and can say, if nothing else, the exhaust smells better Thumbs Up
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 5:06pm
Congrats on finding your trouble.Clap  About how long did your adjustment job take?
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2019 at 6:28pm
I had the front clip off for an engine swap recently, so everything that needed to come apart didn't fight me.  I also spent a decent amount of time just cleaning to be sure I wouldn't invite grit into the work.  With that in mind, +/- :

Removing the fender 20min
Removing the PCV stuff 10min 
Removing the valve cover 15min (should have been 5min, lol)
Adjusting the valves 30min
Cleaning old gaskets and resealing new 20min
Reinstall Valve cover and PCV 30min
Reinstall fender 20min

So roughly 2-1/2 hours straight through...add about an hour cleaning and a half hour after for rechecking and adjusting timing and whatnot and it was an easy four hours...which took closer to 5 or six what with stopping for lunch and misc honeydo stuff.  Started about 9am, test driving by 3pm

TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 7:51am
I just found this thread, and I now totally understand the response you made to my post about weird cotter pin stuff.  LOL!  Bubba had to think on the fly and within budget!  In retrospect, it makes me sort of appreciate their thinking and doing.  Where would my jeep be, if they just parked it and said goodbye to the little piece of junk?  Owners were mostly depression era people, and they knew how to tinker and fix stuff with baling wire, crappy welding if they had such an animal, nails for cotter pins, etc.  Bless their little hearts!  Tongue
Teddie
CJ2A '47
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 9:25am
Originally posted by TeddieG TeddieG wrote:

...Bubba had to think on the fly and within budget!  In retrospect, it makes me sort of appreciate their thinking and doing.  Where would my jeep be, if they just parked it and said goodbye to the little piece of junk?...

You're on it, TG LOL... A lot of people hate on the Bubba, but those people fought the best the knew how (or could) to save these for us Tongue  (though that wasn't the thinking in the moment Wink )
TeddieG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeddieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2019 at 6:20pm
There are a number of things that irritate me greatly that Bubba did, but we know he had a reason.  This Jeep did not get all bent up while he was out joyriding.  He was looking for cows, feeding them during blizzards, etc. and there a plenty of bumps out in NM pasture lands.  Repairs were made like my Daddy made things:  Oil field stout!

Teddie
CJ2A '47
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2019 at 2:31pm

Dejavu all over again LOLā€¦ much like the RMC genset engine was a parallel project until it got swapped into 69750, this is also a parallel thatā€™s crossing over.  The RMC that replaced the ā€œoriginalā€ supersonic was always meant as a placeholder while the Kaiser engine got redone.  That hasnā€™t happened, lol.  The RMC is still coming out, to keep the hours/miles on it down, potentially to find a home in an M38 as yet undiscovered, to be replaced with this:

Or more specifically, this:

The welder started life in the Navy and letā€™s face it, the Navy buys stuff they donā€™t build stuff in a manufacturing sense.  The numbers on the Navy and Hobart tags agree with the ESN on the block, so Iā€™m 99% the hour meter represents the engine, supported by the factory 3.125ā€ bores.  It was eventually sold off as surplus, bought by a local college, and as parts to keep it going became less and less available it was then given to a college employee who wanted the L134 to repower his gensetā€¦ which never happened.  The genset and welder sat outside beside his house for years... waitingā€¦ ya, waiting for me to stumble by Thumbs Up.  The genset remains an uninvolved parallelā€¦for now.

This block is a dedicated industrial, manufactured around 1968 towards the end of L134 production, possibly one of the last go devils ever cast.  The plan is to break this down, clean it up and verify bearings, bores etc., run out the decent fall weather on the RMC and swap these this winter.

May the Willys gods have mercy on my soul Wacko

Edited by mbullism - 01 Sep. 2019 at 2:42pm
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 4:50am
Just reading back in your post and the Ramsey winch how were your drum brake pucks if they still existed, and what were you thinking for a replacement , the ones that came out of mine were in pieces, this is something I contemplate when I walk by my winch on the bench from time to time.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 5:34am
I had one left... I had formulated a plan to cut a plug from a matching thickness front disk brake pad, but ultimately "blinked" and bought a new pair from detroit wrecker...  I see the're on "sale" (oof)...I think a pair to my house was almost $50 at the time Stern Smile Pinch

Edited by mbullism - 25 Sep. 2019 at 5:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>