Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2019 at 12:39pm
So not so much "project" as maintenance, but the weekend found me deglazing brakes.  They haven't been happy since NH.  Much happier Approve
In project mode, picked up this over the weekend... been looking for a match for the Ramsey 200 lever winch for the front, but with the short drum "Y" option.  Having had ZERO luck, when this DCY popped up I had to grab it up.
Currently set up for a 2" receiver, the mount, 12v motor and solenoid are going away, I'll source an input shaft bearing cap, and "wa-la!", instant Ramsey 200Y lever Thumbs Up.  The 6" long drum will allow this to fit in the rear of the frame up in the "vee" with little help, and I'll have pto winches front and rear.

Last little tid bit is a little confession as part of what I envision will become 12 steps Embarrassed.  I promised myself I'd focus on one jeep instead of having 2 or 3 or (?) all vying for limited time and funds.  I find I can't pass up a good deal on decent L heads.  I haven't fully reconcilled if I'm stock piling, or hoarding, and I assume I'll know how many is enough when I get there Wink.  Don't be a hater...some people collect stamps.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2019 at 7:33am
Do you buy a new engine stand every time you buy another Go-Devil?  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Is that wrong? Confused

(No LOL... most are on movers dollys, and one is on engine mounts Wink )

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2019 at 2:07am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Is that wrong? Confused

Of course not!  You can always take two of the stands and make a tub rotisserie, too, for the dual-purpose factor.  Thumbs Up
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2020 at 6:51pm
So found myself with a little "me" time LOL

Finally got around to putting my winter whites on (spokes)... 
not personally a fan, but the task ahead is breaking down the KH's for paint.  These five, plus a second set of five, plus two from the bantam Wacko
Finally got around to giving the first Ramsey some love.  Now I remember why I don't pay big bucks for this kind of stuff. A little bit of water got in this one and I spent HOURS hand fitting everything back together properly.  Good to go now-
still have to get the vent and the tag back on, but it's come a ways- to include bearings and seals.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 1:10am
Just once I want to open something up (that the seller said was working perfectly) and not find something bent, broken, rust pudding or missing pieces...
Just once-
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 1:36am
I found this old Ramsey for $75 at the GreatWoods/Tweeters swapmeet a long while ago. This one had a partially open vent and the gears are way worse than yours. It still works. The teeth are now thinner due to severe rusting.

I priced the smallest gear at the motor, which was the worst, and it was beyond stupid expensive. I know a simple spur gear from Boston gear was cheap, and it would just need face width reduction on the lathe.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 2:24am

Just once I want to open something up (that the seller said was working perfectly) and not find something bent, broken, rust pudding or missing pieces...

I think your best bet is going to be to assume the worst from now on, sadly.  Confused
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 4:04am

I think your best bet is going to be to assume the worst from now on, sadly.  Confused

Yeah, I've already moved on to there awhile back I'm afraid... won't offer more than I'm willing to walk away from, and there's a world of difference between "working", and working under real world loads.  Despite the water and rust soup the gears are actually more than  salvageable.  The caged needle roller bearings on the other hand....  Best part, I guess, is that the electric drive is being set aside and the winch will be driven by PTO.

Originally posted by CT48 CT48 wrote:

I priced the smallest gear at the motor... and it was beyond stupid expensive. 

No doubt, Ramsey parts are, ehem..."cost prohibitive".  Not sure that's better than unobtanium LOL.  $75 is a really good deal these days, and worth the risk, IMO.  Trouble is everyone seems to think old = $$$... I think my guy was asking 3-350 and I got him  down to 100-125.  Drop $100 and THEN find out you need a worm gear or shaft..or both Dead  I needed the spool friction disks for the long spool model 200 I finished above (little hockey pucks slightly bigger than a nickle), and after shipping they were right around $50 for the pair Shocked
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 2:01pm
Mike:

Confucius say "Persons who have no expectations are never disappointed".
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 2:06pm
EWW that's gross, I'm going to need to change into my dirty cloths to play with you! LOLLOL
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2020 at 6:40pm
So the winter projects are piling up... Mail call from my WI trip in January (thanks, Lee! Thumbs Up )
My current seats are 2A frames with short military style backs, which "may" be out of a CJ2...as yet to be determined.  Will know more after disassembly and closer inspection, but they need a little refurb themselves requiring the disassembly anyway, and the short backs really look odd with the tall back rear seat installed.  Already have bottom pans and springs, need the taller back spring sets.  Then I'll polish up my 7th grade home ec sewing skills and see about making some covers for the taller backs (I'll reuse the bottom covers)

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 4:25pm
Fairly certain this is the first time in at least 40 years these pockets have seen top bows (repops, but after a little tweeking they fit Smile )... On to paint!

Edited by mbullism - 20 Feb. 2020 at 4:27pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2020 at 12:40pm
Just jewelry for now until i source some canvas... love the "look" Smile
Now to get the wheels stripped, repainted and pin striped before the warm weather gets here (forecast today is for temps in the mid sixties Thumbs Up )
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2020 at 4:18pm
Cool approach to popping a bead.  Thanks for showing this.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2020 at 4:50pm
  Smile  At FCT, Fred Coldwell and I had a discussion (light-hearted) about which way the bows should lie when stored on the windshield - should they “smile” or should they “frown”?  Fred said that old pictures showed them both ways, and we agreed that we both like to see the jeep smile. Smile Someone walking by stopped and listened a bit, then said, “If you put them on with the ends down, they won’t fill with water or dust” and walked on. Embarrassed Good point. Clap  BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2020 at 8:06pm

Just once-

I have a buddy who is a very serious firearms collector. He took a rifle he bought from a guy that he was told had been shooting nickel sized groups at 100 yards to a local Gunsmith cause he couldn't get it anywhere near a Silver Dollar in group size. The Gunsmith slid his bore scope down the barrel. My friend said the bore looked like the inside of a New York Garbage can (exactly what that is you got me but it sounded bad LOL) He was pissed paid the Gunsmith to rebarrel the rifle and instead of buying another firearm the next month he bought himself a really nice bore scope. I have been with him at a Gun show when he pulls that thing out the sellers always get this depressed look on their faces cause the Bullsh*t is OVER LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2020 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Cool approach to popping a bead.  Thanks for showing this.

It actually works surprisingly well Wink  Five tires at two beads each was maybe 45 minutes without a rush.  What's hidden in that pic is the $40 home depot tool cart with the 5/8" plywood work top.... slides right under the top flange of the cross member on the press, like an extension table on a saw.  Makes universal joints in driveshafts and tires and whatever so much easier to wrangle into the press Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 25>