Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update and Starter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update and Starter?
    Posted: 21 Feb. 2016 at 3:28pm
Ok, yesterday I got to work the Willys again.  I adjusted on the carb a little and got it to start and run really smooth!  So, the next step was to replace the ignition switch wiring, since I've been using a remote starter up to this point.  Got the wires replaced and gave it a try.  I started right up, so I decided to put the rear end on jack stands to see if the clutch and transmission would do anything.  With the engine running i tried to put in gear without using the clutch and wouldn't go in, so i pushed the clutch in and it seemed to go in.  I slowly let out on the clutch without pressing the accelerator and it stalled.  I restarted and tried again giving it some gas and it made a grinding noise and stalled.  Tried it again and the same thing.  It almost sounded like the transfer case, so I was going to try again while moving the transfer case lever around, but when I hit the starter button - nothing.  I checked my wiring and everything seemed to check out, so I checked the starter and it seems dead.  It has ground, so I jumped it directly to the battery and got nothing.  Am I missing something or do these starters just go dead like that?  Is this because of a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system?  Should I try to have it rebuilt or just by a new one?
Thanks,
Steve
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2016 at 3:51pm

First, try whacking the starter near the brush end with a piece of wood or a dead blow hammer, and try turning the crankshaft with a wrench in case the starter drive is hung up.

If that doesn't work, you should examine the starter on the bench to determine the problem.
Are the brushes stuck, armature shorted/burnt, field shorted, etc.
BOULDER 48 2A
SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2016 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

First, try whacking the starter near the brush end with a piece of wood or a dead blow hammer, and try turning the crankshaft with a wrench in case the starter drive is hung up.

If that doesn't work, you should examine the starter on the bench to determine the problem.

Thanks Terry, I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Steve
SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2016 at 12:57am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

No luck on turning the crankshaft or the dead blow hammer.  I'll pull the starter tomorrow.

SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 8:19pm
"With the engine running i tried to put in gear without using the clutch and wouldn't go in, so i pushed the clutch in and it seemed to go in.  I slowly let out on the clutch without pressing the accelerator and it stalled.  I restarted and tried again giving it some gas and it made a grinding noise and stalled.  Tried it again and the same thing.  It almost sounded like the transfer case, so I was going to try again while moving the transfer case lever around, but when I hit the starter button - nothing."  I checked my wiring and everything seemed to check out, so I checked the starter and it seems dead.  It has ground, so I jumped it directly to the battery and got nothing.  Am I missing something or do these starters just go dead like that?  Is this because of a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system?  Should I try to have it rebuilt or just by a new one?
Thanks,
Steve
[/QUOTE]

Update, Starter was bad (bushings and spacers worn).  With the starter rebuilt, it starts and runs great.  Now back to the issue of the transmission.  I've got the jeep on stands to allow the wheels to turn and checked to make sure the drive shafts turn freely.  When I put it in gear and let out on the clutch it stalls.  It feels like it's got a load/binding, almost like it's in gear or brakes on?  Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by SJ21XDC - 29 Feb. 2016 at 11:05pm
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 12:20pm
Tranny could be stuck in gear and when you shift it its putting it in two gears at once, check and see if the transfer case is in neutral. If it is I would guess that's the case, otherwise it would try to take off when you start it and that wouldn't be it.
Only other thing I can think, how cold was it when you were working on it? Could be water is froze in the gear boxes and keeping it from moving.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

Tranny could be stuck in gear and when you shift it its putting it in two gears at once, check and see if the transfer case is in neutral. If it is I would guess that's the case, otherwise it would try to take off when you start it and that wouldn't be it.
Only other thing I can think, how cold was it when you were working on it? Could be water is froze in the gear boxes and keeping it from moving.

Thanks for the reply!

It was around 60 degrees.  I guess it's time to pull the transmission and see what's going on in there.

Thanks,
Steve
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 4:03pm
I wouldn't pull it just yet, put it neutral and take the shifter top off, take a look and maybe snap a pic to post here. It could just be the shifter cap needs some work and you can avoid pulling the tranny for now.
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 7:00pm

I wouldn't pull it just yet, put it neutral and take the shifter top off, take a look and maybe snap a pic to post here. It could just be the shifter cap needs some work and you can avoid pulling the tranny for now.

Sounds good.  It will probably be this weekend, but I will take some pictures.

Thanks again,
Steve
SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by SJ21XDC SJ21XDC wrote:

Sounds good.  It will probably be this weekend, but I will take some pictures.

Thanks again,
Steve

The transmission was full of greasy water and the shifter was full of greasy crap.  I drained it and sprayed it with brake cleaner.  I tried moving the gears around and can only get the top shaft to move about a quarter of a turn.  Seams like something is binding but I don't know if this is normal.  Here are a couple of pictures.  Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Steve

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 7:23pm
The "top" shaft won't spin free unless the TC is in neutral.
You could fill it with diesel fuel and move everything around to get a good flush, but I don't know how to tell if it should have a rebuild.
In the photos, the trans appears to be in neutral. Be sure the sliding gear is not engaged with 1st or reverse.
BOULDER 48 2A
SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 8:13pm
I believe the TC is in neutral.  I'll double check that tonight.
Here are a few videos.  Please let me know your thoughts.

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 8:26pm
Only thing I can think is the bearing is locked up in the rear of the transmission. If the drive shafts are turning freely, the bottom half of the transfer case is free and I doubt the intermediate gear would lock that bad . Maybe pull the gear off in the transfer case behind the PTO cover and see if the transmission turns then.
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 8:30pm
You're missing at least one synchronizer plate that I can see.  Unfortunately, you're going to need to pull it.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 8:33pm

Only thing I can think is the bearing is locked up in the rear of the transmission. If the drive shafts are turning freely, the bottom half of the transfer case is free and I doubt the intermediate gear would lock that bad . Maybe pull the gear off in the transfer case behind the PTO cover and see if the transmission turns then.

Thank you - I will try that!  I'm thinking it might be time to pull the tub and start the restoration.  I was hoping to get it drivable and play with it before going there, but not sure that's going to happenErmm
SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

You're missing at least one synchronizer plate that I can see.  Unfortunately, you're going to need to pull it.

Tim

A couple of questions.  Would you drop the transmission/TC or just take the tub off?  I've never messed with a transmission before.  How difficult are these to rebuild?
Thanks,
Steve
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 8:46pm

A couple of questions.  Would you drop the transmission/TC or just take the tub off?  I've never messed with a transmission before.  How difficult are these to rebuild?
Thanks,
Steve

The transmission is pretty easy to fix up.   

How to get at it?  Well, that's going to open up a can of worms.

For me...If I'm going to mess with the transmission, I would drop just the transfer case and transmission out the bottom.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
SJ21XDC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJ21XDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2016 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Thanks,
Steve

The transmission is pretty easy to fix up.   

How to get at it?  Well, that's going to open up a can of worms.

For me...If I'm going to mess with the transmission, I would drop just the transfer case and transmission out the bottom.  

Ok - thanks.  I'll climb under there and see what's involved.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>