Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally
    Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 5:01pm
Hello All - I finally got off the rump and found one of my dream vehicles. I have loved the WWII era Jeeps for as long as I can remember - I remember liking the one that the dad drove on the old tv show "Gentle Ben" when I was a kid. I got really serious about it over the last several months, and have looked at many $5000 rust buckets that I passed on. But, last week I located what I had hoped was a real deal clean barn find. I picked it up Saturday after a 7-hour round trip, and couldn't be more happy. 

I started reading these forums after I bought an old Spen trailer a couple years ago, and just sorta looked around waiting on a CJ to fall on me. You guys have tons of great information and advice on here, THANK YOU!

Anyway - the story on this Jeep is that it was originally purchased by a small town in CO as a city vehicle. The gentleman that worked for the town, drove this as part of his job (not sure what that was), when the town was selling it ten years later, this gentleman purchased it from the town and kept it until his death in the early 2000s. He apparently had it painted when he bought it so it no longer looked like a city vehicle and it has been a very light silvery-blue since 1956. He kept it barn stored on his farm since that time only using it to putter around the property. Following his passing, his son was never able to get it running - so the family sold it in 2009 to a gentleman in Louisiana.

The owner in LA was able to get it running and also used it to putter around his 100 acres and never really got it on the road but once. He put 125 miles on it for the seven years he owned it, and it now has a (supposedly) original 9,135 miles on it. And now.....its mine. The seller told me he thought he had a series of registrations over the years from CO, that shows the milage progression and will get it to me if he can find it.

So - here is my new-to-me, very rust free 1946 CJ2A:

Ready to go...

Weird thing is that the title doesn't have this number and I didn't catch it until i got home. This has me a bit worried.

Never seen a bench seat before, but it looks like it has been in the vehicle for many years.

More of the bench. Horse hair stuffing mostly intact.

And my favorite part - ALL the hat channels look like this. In fact, I didn't find any cancerous rust at all.

1946 CJ2A #75375
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 5:07pm
That's a beauty!! Congrats.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 5:11pm
Oh! It also came with an original white canvas top in very good condition and a weird-backward facing rear seat. I will have to figure out how to install the top, because it looks great. 

I was able to drive it around a little yesterday, but didn't get on the streets much, because I popped a brake line when loading it. The brakes were very good until that point. I drove around in the industrial area where I rent some warehouse space for my tinkering and found some guys who had gotten their crew cab Chevy, in street tires, stuck. Me and the little Willys pulled that mammoth truck free of the mud hole they had gotten in....gotta love that. 
1946 CJ2A #75375
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 5:18pm
Very nice find.  Congratulations!  And welcome aboard.  :)
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 5:27pm
Looks like that was maybe a bus seat at some point in its life. Nice jeep.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 6:06pm
Which tag are you referring to?  The title will have the number matched up to the top tag.  The lower body tag number will not be on the title.

I see you are in Arkansas,  im in Russellville.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 6:13pm
That looks like it was worth the wait Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 6:14pm
Well, if its a bus seat - maybe I'll call this thing the Short Bus.  :)

Ryan - the two tags match, but the number on the title is a little different. I guess I will figure something out. I'm in Little Rock btw.
1946 CJ2A #75375
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 6:17pm
is it titled with the engine serial number?

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 7:20pm
I did a little reading last night - and found that that could be a possibility. So I will scour the engine this evening to see if I can find a number that matches. Thanks.
1946 CJ2A #75375
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 7:21pm
You wouldn't happen to know the name of the town in Colorado, would you? BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 9:31pm
The jeep looks like a nice survivor.  Lots of forest service roads north of Russellville with good scenery.  Im hoping to have mine done by this summer and start taking advantage of them!  Maybe we could get several of us together for a ride.
gbenoit View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbenoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2016 at 11:54pm
What a great find! It certainly looks like it has been cared for. Best of luck with it.
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 12:38am
Thanks for letting me play in ya'lls sandbox, really looking forward to tinkering on this thing.
@ Bruce, trying to find out what town it came from.
@ Ryan, absolutely would love to get together with others and do some drives.
1946 CJ2A #75375
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 1:18am
Bruce - it came from Eckhert,CO.
1946 CJ2A #75375
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Batjac65 Batjac65 wrote:

Thanks for letting me play in ya'lls sandbox, ... 

don't look now, but you're in your sandbox now Thumbs UpLOL
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 12:37pm
Nice jeep, engine number should be stamped on the flat just above the water pump. I lot of jeeps were titled with the engine number. May take some cleaning to read it.

Again, nice find, enjoy

Mike
Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 3:29pm
Thanks for the input everyone. Found the engine number and that is the number used as the VIN on the title - what happens if you change the engine out at some point?

Anyway, I noticed something odd when I was uploading photos yesterday and went back to look at it last night. The bench seat that was put into this vehicle was completely customized by either the city of Eckhert or a very nice backyard custom. I think it may have been for a pretty tall person or something, because they modified the rear wheel wells to fit it in there. It sits very comfortably, so I don't guess I will complain. See photos.

Edited by Batjac65 - 01 Mar. 2016 at 3:31pm
1946 CJ2A #75375
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>