Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 3:44pm
Okay, I would like to ask some advice. When I went into this, I went in with the plans to rejuvenate one of these things and paint it in the color scheme that I really wanted, fix all the rust and just get a nice driver vehicle out of the deal. I’m not interested in museum/show quality builds – I did one of those with a street rod I just got rid of and I was so nervous taking it out, that I couldn’t enjoy it. However, with this Jeep being such a nice semi-original survivor, do I hurt its value doing any updates to it? I know the paint isn’t original, the seat is not, there are the rear-fender mods….but still, these things were done sixty years ago. Should I mess with it or leave it alone?
1946 CJ2A #75375
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Batjac65 Batjac65 wrote:

Should I mess with it or leave it alone?

BOTH!Thumbs Up
You've got a nice driver and life is short. Have fun with it.

Edited by RICKG - 01 Mar. 2016 at 4:27pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 4:34pm
X2

Drive it, use it. Get the feel of it and how you will use it.

You have a nice jeep with some nice history, the mods had purpose at the time they were made. If they fit how you use it fine if not it’s your jeep. Do what ever you want with it and don't sweat the dollars.

I tend to leave them as I found them as long as it was good work and fits me and the jeep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 5:38pm
X3! I doubt that you will do any mods that can not be undone if the next owner wants to.

You already know that this is not a profitable endeavor, so have at it. Make it yours.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 5:54pm
Before you get all tangled up "preserving" it, ask yourself who you're preserving it for... you're here now.

then drive the balls off it Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 5:56pm
I would probably leave it as is.  The mods done look like they were done well.  Im not super crazy about the bench seat but it looks right.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Batjac65 Batjac65 wrote:

Found the engine number and that is the number used as the VIN on the title - what happens if you change the engine out at some point?

Not sure how you're state works, but in MA I'm pretty sure with a registry inspection you could title it with the correct SN instead of the ESN... they'd likely title search both, and just assign the firewall number moving forward.

It would be different if your current title had no obvious connection to the vehicle...

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 10:56pm
Changing the registration would probably be OK, but as far as the rest, I'd leave it the way it is for now. Drive it for awhile and see if you would like it changed!
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12