Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsaia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator wiring
    Posted: 04 Mar. 2016 at 4:37pm
Hey guys, hopefully one of you will know the correct way to wire up an alternator. The 2A has been converted to 12 volt but I don't think the alternator was wired correctly. I have included a picture of the alternator and a diagram of how it is wired. The Ammeter does not register anything (most likely it is not wired correctly either, plus I heard the Ammeter should be changed to a Voltmeter if using the alternator.
As you can see there is the blue wire coming off of the BAT terminal on the alternator that goes to the starter switch terminal (battery side) and a red wire that loops from a clip to the BAT terminal, then a brown wire from the clip to the ignition switch (starter post, as the ignition switch has a starter terminal that is not used since there is a starter switch on the floor). I am sure this is incorrect...just looking for some help.

Thanks

Edited by gsaia - 04 Mar. 2016 at 4:41pm
46 CJ2A 63512
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2016 at 4:43pm
Well obviously the Amp meter is not hooked up correctly as there is only a lead going to one side of it. And yes it should be a volt meter to work best with an Alternator.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2016 at 5:05pm
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/alternator-wiring-help-please_topic14211.html
buzzshipman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzshipman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2016 at 7:32pm
Here is a website that I always refer to when wiring up a new engine. I think the business is out of business but the web site still works and has a lot of great info under the Electrical Tech section. It is a lot to read but very informative.

Hope this helps.
1946 CJ2A column shift
1961 CJ3B
1963 CJ5
1947 Empire Model 90
1982 CJ8
squidtone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squidtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2016 at 2:40am
Hi,
I've been haunting the CJ2A pages for years. I thought I'd join to post a chicken scratch schematic of a minimum Willys charging system with a Delco 10si or 12si alternator.
It looks like you've got a "3 wire" alternator. Many consider that the best because they start charging at lower RPMs compared to the single wire type delco alternators.

The big thing I notice is that your alternator "field" wire seems to be live all the time. that should be terminal "1" on your alternator. That will drain your battery that way. I believe you want to have that field wire switched by your ignition switch. Check out the attached schematic. In addition, a nice addition is to put a little 12V "radio shack" type minibulb in series with that field wire on your dash someplace. this will function as a classic "idiot" light; but it's very useful to tell you if your alternator is charging or not: if it's lit, you're not charging....when you start your engine and the rpm's go up, the light goes out and indicates you are charging.

For terminal "2" wire on the alt, (otherwise known as the sense terminal) my schematic shows how to wire your alternator either by looping the "sense" wire right to the "bat" terminal as in your picture (which is okay), or you can make a longer wire from the "sense" terminal all the way to where all the power is, basically at the starter stud (or in your case your starter solenoid). This might be better in some cases, although since these Willys Jeeps have almost no electrical load, there's no compelling reason to change what you've got already for your "sense" wire.

Also, consider using a fusible link at the output of the "bat" terminal on the alternator, then splice it to your 10 gauge power wire that goes to your starter solenoid (or starter stud for us CJ3a guys). You can buy those at any autoparts joints.

The voltmeter can simply also be wired to the ignition switch so it also does not draw power when the Willys is not running.
Good luck!
Dave
Willynilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willynilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2021 at 10:36am
Hi is there no selonoid in this diagram thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply