Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New trailer to tow the willys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New trailer to tow the willys
    Posted: 13 Mar. 2016 at 11:02pm
I'm pumped, just got a 7x16 enclosed trailer to haul the Willys. With the roll bar on I have to let some air out of the rear tires to fit in the door, but it fits, i didn't want to special order a taller one.    It didn't have any tie downs, so the dealer said they would install them for $100 each, plus another $20 for the tie down, and they were not going to weld the backing plate to the frame.   
They said, and etrailer.com confirmed that it's not needed, they are rated for 5000lbs each, i don't belive it.

Screw that, did It my self. First one took an hour, the others 45 minutes or less and they are welded to the frame.

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2016 at 4:42pm
Very high class trailer -- and room for pit crew and extra goodies. 

I am thinking for selling my Airstream and buying a beefy toy hauler to carry me, my dogs, and the Jeep.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
TowMater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TowMater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2016 at 6:50pm
Now that's a Trailer! Very Nice.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2016 at 7:35pm
Nice trailer, lots of possibilities. 
Are you planning to build in some living quarters for when the Jeep is out side the trailer and you need to be inside?  I have seen from basic to elaborate camper setups in trailers similar to yours at a couple of Jeep runs.     
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
BlueBaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2016 at 8:51pm
I like it!
-Dave
CJ-3A 1953
Grey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2016 at 9:48pm
wow, that is way nicer than my tractor supply single axle open trailer.  Congrats!  One day ill get one...for the option of storing inside for the winter
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2016 at 11:30pm
No fancy plans for inside, maybe a couple fold down bunks in the need arises.   Storing the Willys in there during the winter is a good idea. Then I can fit my truck in the garage when it snows
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2016 at 1:09am
nothing but jealousy here Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2016 at 1:58am

Very sweet

MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2016 at 8:42pm
Got the ramps and was able to test fit the Willys, perfect fit. With the tires aired down, I have an inch of clearance above the roll bar.   Just need to find the sweet spot for the jeep. Where I had it, the height at the hitch dropped 1-1.5". That left the truck nice and level.    I need to take it for a ride and test it out.

Found a sweet spot to store and secure the ramps,

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2016 at 11:32pm
Very nice, I have been looking at trailers for a coupe years but have not pulled the pin yet. Any reason you did not get a ramp door ?.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2016 at 11:40pm
When it parked in my driveway, it's in front of the garage and too close to open the ramp door.   The barn doors I can open.   Still, I was in the fence between the 2 types of doors, Sales guy said take the barn doors and I'll knock $400 off the price.   Made the decision a no brainer!
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2016 at 12:09am
And since this isn't officially a car carrier. The doors were only rated for 1000-1500lbs...which probably would have been fine, I didn't want to take a chance
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2016 at 1:43am
  "Still, I was in the fence between the 2 types of doors, Sales guy said take the barn doors and I'll knock $400 off the price.   Made the decision a no brainer!"
  Same thing here, plus since I'm using mine as a camper as well, I wanted to put a window in the back door, and with a ramp-door, sure as heck, somebody would step in the window. Also, with the barn doors, I can open one of them and let a breeze blow thru in the summer. I want to get a screen curtain made to Velcro into the opening when I do that.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SKT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2016 at 5:47am
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

Sharp looking set-up!

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2016 at 7:08pm
Nice setup. Take weight of trailer, ramps, jeep and anything stored in trailer during travel and total that up. DO NOT  exceed 15% of the gross weight on the tongue at the hitch. Also I hope you have electric brakes on both axles. If not it will be a handful going down hills.

It's also a good idea to get a torsion bar leveler hitch for it.  

These suggestions come from actual experience with my Jeep trailer and also hauling loads with a pickup and trailer for a living. A balanced load, load leveler hitch and electric brakes on both axles is needed and not just a suggestion. 
Life is only as good as you make it.
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2016 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

Nice setup. Take weight of trailer, ramps, jeep and anything stored in trailer during travel and total that up. DO NOT  exceed 15% of the gross weight on the tongue at the hitch. Also I hope you have electric brakes on both axles. If not it will be a handful going down hills.

It's also a good idea to get a torsion bar leveler hitch for it.  

These suggestions come from actual experience with my Jeep trailer and also hauling loads with a pickup and trailer for a living. A balanced load, load leveler hitch and electric brakes on both axles is needed and not just a suggestion. 

Thanks, I want to check the tongue weigh, need to borrow a scale. but I believe I am okay. And I'm not even at 75% of the trucks capacity. I have brakes on both axles, a good controller, amd no desire to go more than 60-65 while towing...I'm getting old I guess.

I just towed a new project home, 130 miles. Without a weight dist hitch. It towed good, didn't seem to need it, the ass of the truck dropped about 1.5" when all hitched up and was pretty level.   

But I agree, it would only make it better
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2016 at 8:48pm
I have a smaller enclosed trailer, not big enough for a Jeep but it will hold three motorcycles. A trailer is sort of like having a pickup. Once people know you have one you get to help them move or they will borrow it. My trailer has been across this country a few times.
 My trailer didn't come with tie downs either so I installed 8 to tie the bikes down for a trip to AZ. One trailer place wanted $16.00 each for the same thing you showed. A farm and ranch place up the road wanted $4.88 each.
Mine seems to be used for storage now. At least it's mostly Jeep parts and camping junk.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>