Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer Cable Routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hcpcjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedometer Cable Routing
    Posted: 28 Mar. 2016 at 9:34pm
I've searched everything I can think of, but no luck.  I've found where the speedo cable attaches to the firewall, but how does it route and attach from there?  Some pictures I've found of the M38's have the cable routed inside the frame.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2016 at 10:19pm
Not all bell housings are created equal, but after penetrating the firewall, mine has a threaded hole and a clip holding it to the side of my bell housing...passenger side. Nothing else.

If there is more than this, I would like to know also.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 2:46pm
The parking brake cable is the one that fastens to the side of the bell housing. The speedo cable loops down along the right frame rail. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

hcpcjj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hcpcjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 4:01pm
But does it run inside the frame like some of the photos that I've seen?
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 5:53pm
Yes, that's the way I've always seen it run.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 6:46pm
You're right Joe.  Got my cables mixed up under there.  My speedo cable is just flopping in the wind once it leaves the firewall.  It does end up sitting inside the frame, but nothing secures it in place.  I always wondered about this. 

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

You're right Joe.  Got my cables mixed up under there.  My speedo cable is just flopping in the wind once it leaves the firewall.  It does end up sitting inside the frame, but nothing secures it in place.  I always wondered about this. 

Tim

I used a non-period correct blue zip tie to secure my cable from flapping around.
Maybe some bailing wire or twine would be more period correct.

edited to add bailing wire and twine.

Edited by smfulle - 29 Mar. 2016 at 6:53pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Maybe some bailing wire or twine would be more period correct.

I like it!
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
hcpcjj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hcpcjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2016 at 7:25pm
I found this picture in another thread that shows it clipped to the firewall.  It looks like mine has a threaded hole in the same place.

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2016 at 4:42am
Yes, it should be attached to the firewall at that location.
BOULDER 48 2A
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2016 at 6:11am
I used some heavy duty zip ties and tied that baby right inside the frame rail
Retired1! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retired1! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 4:04pm
Hi folks, 
Can I ask someone to post a pic or tell where exactly does the under carriage Speedometer Cable go into?  1948 Willys, CJ2A  Civilian Jeep, all stock. Sorry if it’s a completely dumb question, I have a bad time going under and looking up her skirt. So the  more details  on the exact spot the better for me. I want to be quick and effective when I hit the right spot! Thanks for any assistance! 
Thanks!!
Retired1
hrspwrranch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrspwrranch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 11:33am
It is on the right hand side, just in front of the transfer case mounted park Brake. 
Mark
48 CJ2a
56 Ford F-100
24 Essex RPU
86 Olds 442
Retired1! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retired1! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 2:15pm
Thanks Much!! I’ll check it out! 
Retired 1
 Post Reply Post Reply