Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photo Scavenger Hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2016 at 4:12pm
 Nope, no desert tan around here, Uncle Lynden is Harvest Tan, used to be Luzon Red, soon to be some other color Wink

I've been itchin' for this chance - How about a jeep in front of a grain elevator or a feed mill?   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2016 at 5:53pm
It would be easy for a picture as I have two grain elevators within a few block drive from my house but I am trying to figure out what this new thing I have sitting here on my desk has. I got it Sunday. Nope, no slot for a camera card. But it has a CD drive that pops out?

Some day all of us in this area need to meet up and stand around with a foot on a bumper. Perhaps with a adult libation.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 4:56am
 Big smile  " How about a jeep in front of a grain elevator or a feed mill? " Whatsa matter? Too tough for you guys? Do I have to do this myself, and set an easier goal? WinkLOLClap   BW

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 10:58am
I'm just waitin' for the farmers to bring the "Farm Hand" over to mix some grain! Of course, someone may beat me to it!Sleepy
Rick Estes
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 1:32pm

My jeep is still in the mountains, and the wind this week moved the silo.

Edited by russnj - 21 Oct. 2016 at 2:37pm
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 2:25pm
YIKES!!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 3:50pm
 I'm not surprised, the way it was blowing!  Shocked   BW

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 6:42pm
It was an interesting wind here in town too. Trashcans and urban tumbleweeds going everywhere.
uncamonkey
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 7:54pm
And I was griping about having to clean out the gutters! Hope everyone's ok.
Rick Estes
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 8:01pm

Brigham Young supervised construction by the Mormon pioneers of Winter Quarters in 1846. The Florence Mill is the only surviving building to have been built by the Mormon.  The settlers needed a mill to grind corn, wheat, and rye to create cornmeal and flour products. Constructed next to Turkey Creek, later called Mill Creek, which flowed into the Missouri River, the original structure was deserted in 1846. A new mill was built in 1847 at the cost of $3000. Brigham Young sold this mill to John Neff, who deserted it when he moved to Salt Lake City. The Mill sets on the Nebraska side of the Missouri River in Florence (north Omaha)  The Mill is 101 years older than my Jeep.
I don't know who gets to pick the next photo Katie or me?

Edited by Rick Cline - 21 Oct. 2016 at 10:52pm
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 9:05pm
Jeep is looking good parked out front. very cool !!!
Phil
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 9:07pm
Interesting history on the building.
Phil
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 9:16pm
Rick that is so cool!  Thanks for the history.  My pic was just to whine and moan a little, I'm sure you got it.

It obviously totaled the silo, and didn't do the old sheds any good.  The new (read: not yet paid for) skidsteer was less than 1 foot away from having the door glass broken out.  We made out okay I guess.

Edited by Katiedid - 21 Oct. 2016 at 9:22pm
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 9:33pm
 Great pic, Rick, and thanks for the bit of history! I'd say that'll do, your turn, Rick!   BW

Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 11:44pm

How about this a challenge round. There is a lot of history in this great country of ours. Get those Jeeps out of the shed this weekend and find the oldest significant piece of history in your area. Then, add a brief history.  Something like my photo. Let’s see how many we can get.  The first one that post gets the next topic.  

Kate, you didn’t have to go to that extreme to get a new carriage house. Thank God no one was hurt.  

Rick

Edited by Rick Cline - 21 Oct. 2016 at 11:51pm
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2016 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Rick Cline Rick Cline wrote:

Brigham Young supervised construction by the Mormon pioneers of Winter Quarters in 1846. The Florence Mill is the only surviving building to have been built by the Mormon.  The settlers needed a mill to grind corn, wheat, and rye to create cornmeal and flour products. Constructed next to Turkey Creek, later called Mill Creek, which flowed into the Missouri River, the original structure was deserted in 1846. A new mill was built in 1847 at the cost of $3000. Brigham Young sold this mill to John Neff, who deserted it when he moved to Salt Lake City. The Mill sets on the Nebraska side of the Missouri River in Florence (north Omaha)  The Mill is 101 years older than my Jeep.
I don't know who gets to pick the next photo Katie or me?

Rick, I know exactly where your picture was taken. I was stationed at the U.S. Coast Guard moorings in the Corps of Engineers compound on Pershing Drive just a few blocks from there. I looks like they have done some restoration to it since I was there in 2006. They did the old building proud, I think. Thanks for the photo. Not very many people know that a Coast Guard cutter is stationed at Omaha, let alone why it is there.

I like your suggestion of flattys at historical sites and a bit of historical narrative to go along with it.

Nice looking 2A, BTW...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2016 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Rick Cline Rick Cline wrote:

Kate, you didn’t have to go to that extreme to get a new carriage house. Thank God no one was hurt.  

Rick

Mike'll tell you I'm full of hot air (among other things) but this was a cold northwest wind.  Coming from Muley's direction.  It flattened the dog kennel between the sheds, and was heading for the house.  My Volvo has had a metal shed roll over it on another breezy day.  All the kids asked if the silo took out the Volvo.  Hah! 

Your challenge is a great one -- wish I had my jeep ...Cry
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2016 at 12:32am
Blame it on OL' Muley.. See how ya are Miss Kate??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>