Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New in every Way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New in every Way
    Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 1:14am
Just wanted to say "hello' . Yes, My son-in-law and I are new to the forum, new to CJs and its our first rebuild together. We picked up a CJ2A that had been sitting in the woods of Connecticut for the past 10 years as it had a family history with a good friend of mine(it was his Dads). The price was right (free) although now that we got it home, what do they say, nothing is free.  Serial number, body # and Frame # are 22786.  Tub acm#12815 Tailgate#12803.  Of course I got a CT title but for a 1946 with different serial numbers.  Engine is a question ??? since the head was in the tub for at least 10 years and everything is seized up. Its a standard on the column, transmission shifts, clutch moves, and appears to steer (at least out of the woods) Tub is not awful on the surface but we'll see once we inspect the underside. Has a PTO and something I'm not familiar with, almost looks like a hydraulic lift. Has a metal tag on the angle bracket that says "The Newgren Co BI 2609" , we found two 6 foot long steel arms with what look like universal joints on the end and various round rods.  Assume it is some attachment for the PTO?  We are just looking to get this old orphan back on the road in respectable condition, nothing fancy, but after finding this site several weeks ago I knew it was time to dump the Harley clubs and go "Willys". What a world of information you have here and while we hope to do our homework, I'm sure we'll be asking questions and giving updates as we go.  And yes, I know...... This is worth nothing without photos. I'll get them up shortly.... Respectfully, Dana
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 1:31am
Welcome to the 2A Page.
You have come to the right place, there is plenty of experience here and everyone is willing to help.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
shulls1stcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 2:14am
Welcome to the group. Everyone here is always helpful.
Vito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 2:27am
Welcome. Where in CT are you located? I am in the north east corner of the state.

Vito
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 3:05am
Welcome aboard.  Sounds like you found a good base with some interesting extras.  Pictures, pictures, pictures.  :)
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 3:18am
Hi Dana,
Welcome aboard.  It sounds like your find might have some of the more fun and hard to find farming accessories that were made for our rigs.  After the war these little jeeps were marketed as a car that could do farm jobs, or a tractor that could take your family to church on Sundays. 
There are some real experts on those accessories here (not me) that can chime in on what you have there, especially when you give us pictures to look at.

Here's a video I found of a CJ2A doing some plowing.

Edited by smfulle - 19 Apr. 2016 at 3:34am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 3:35am
Congrats on the find, guys... also looking forward to seeing whatchagot-
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 6:42am
Check the serial number on the engine and compare it to the title. Many old jeeps were titled with the engine serial number including mine
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 12:02pm
Sounds like a great find.  We use a Newgren lift over at farmjeep.com.  As mentioned above, pictures would tell us a lot more about the equipment you have and what you might be missing.

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 2:08pm
Thanks everyone for the welcome and suggestions.  I'll attempt to download photos later today
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 2:09pm
Vito, We're in Old Saybrook
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 3:50pm
My brother has a place across the river from you in Old Lyme. (Hawks nest).

You should contact Brian Hainer. He is on the East side of the river up a bit. 
He may know more about restoration of these than many of us. Also try Bruce Noyes in Old Lyme.
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 5:08pm
Lets see if this photo link works.  http://s944.photobucket.com/user/CJ2A-CT/slideshow/1946%20CJ2A
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 5:11pm
How about this one.  http://s944.photobucket.com/user/CJ2A-CT/library/1946%20CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 5:12pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 5:14pm
guess I need some instruction in transporting the link...I'll keep trying
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 5:25pm
Welcome! I'm up in Cheshire, and you should definatly get a hold of Brian and Bruce. They're close and have way more knowledge than anybody around!
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2016 at 5:26pm
Dana,
Those pictures are great. You have some pretty cool stuff there that the jeep historians here are going to love finding out about.
For me, I really like seeing the pictures of how our jeeps were "discovered." These rigs sitting out in the wild for some reason, makes me nostalgic. I especially like this picture! (PS: to put a photobucket picture in your post, just open the picture in photobucket then click on the  URL on the right hand side labeled IMG and paste in into your post. That's what I did  here with your picture.)

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>