Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3-C Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickcoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3-C Project
    Posted: 09 June 2016 at 1:15pm
New to the forum.  Bought a Bantam T3-C last fall and just in the process of restoring it.  Body is in excellent shape with some modifications by previous owners.  Help in dating it would be appreciated.

I haven't been able to find the AM number yet (in middle of sand blasting ... so maybe it will show up once the old paint is off).  There was a number on the frame by the up the coupler/hitch: DR607429T ... I'm not sure what that is.

Some before sandblasting pictures:

Nick Coleman
LtCol, USAF (Retired)
Park City, Utah
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 2:29pm

Nick,

Congrats on your trailer project!  These trailers are a bit difficult to date as manufacture records haven't been found.  There are some clues to help narrow down the year.  You will find some stickys posted at the top of the General Discussion section to help identify early, middle or late.

There's also a sticky identifying Art's T3-C website that has a bunch of info on it. 

You'll have a good time researching here and on Art's website on what path to take on your modifications.

One thing you'll read about is these trailers were a modification of the military trailer for the civilian market and as the early civilian trailers hit the market, they had military configurations mixed in until the surplus parts were used up.  The ACM number is one of those early distinctions that disappeared as production continued. 

Perhaps someone else may know what that stamped number means.  Is your Serial Number plate missing?

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
nickcoleman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickcoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 3:06pm
Yea ... the number plate is missing.

When I cut off the old trailer jack...the DR607429T was underneath where it was mounted.  If I can figure out the proper SN, I'll get one of the plates made up for it.  Perhaps the last 4 digits (7429) are the original SN number ... that would align with what I've seen on bantamt3c.com (especially the configuration of the tail lights) around that number.

I'm picking the trailer up this morning from being sand blasted ... so maybe I'll see something then.  I'll post some photos of the trailer before I start painting (going to try to get the primer on today ... hand rolling it).

Edited by nickcoleman - 09 June 2016 at 3:27pm
Nick Coleman
LtCol, USAF (Retired)
Park City, Utah
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 4:00pm
Based on the front frame angled corner gussets left over from the blackout light switch production change, I would make an educated guess of 1946 and your last four serial number theory is a good range to fall in.

Going up to the high 9XXX range before I have a good picture showing a production change again in this gusset to the squared off rectangle gusset.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickcoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 3:30am
Rus/Art ... thanks for the info ... really helpful.  

Got the trailer back from the sandblasting...unfortunately forgot to take pictures before starting to prime it. There was no rust rot ... I was a bit worried about the tailgate.   But, the metal throughout the trailer, while a bit deformed in places, is otherwise absolutely solid.  I'm blow away that after 70 years it would be in such good condition.

I did look for the ACM number before starting the priming ... doesn't seem to be one. So, guess I'll stick with the 7429 SN theory.  And, Art's 1946 production year.

Nick Coleman
LtCol, USAF (Retired)
Park City, Utah
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2016 at 4:11am
How many leaves in the springs? I think I read somewhere that the earlier ones had 10 leaves vs the newer ones thicker but only like 3 or 4 or something. Also didn't the earlier ones use the jeep U shackle instead of the solids?
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2016 at 11:48am
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

How many leaves in the springs? I think I read somewhere that the earlier ones had 10 leaves vs the newer ones thicker but only like 3 or 4 or something. Also didn't the earlier ones use the jeep U shackle instead of the solids?

Many of these types of questions can be answered by going to the http://bantamt3c.com web site.

Springs appear to have changed at the same time the shackles did and yes the early shackles are the same as those found on the Willys Jeeps.

http://bantamt3c.com/bantamshackles.htm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2016 at 3:45pm
Art, I have looked but I'm still trying to date mine based on what appears to be people convinced of their date.  Mine has the 10 leaf, jeep shackles, 3 gen hitch attachment, solid taillight area and angled front frame.  So I'm trying to place if his SN is that but has fewer leafs, V frame and solid shackles and still 46, then mine must be that or earlier?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickcoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2016 at 4:21pm
Mickey, It's has 10 leafs and the U shackle.  Shackle also has different thread direction on each side (i.e. LH on one side, RH on the other). Lug nuts are also LH/RH.  Shackles also have grease fittings.  It does not have the shock mounts (I'm going to think about how I might add those).

Edited by nickcoleman - 27 June 2016 at 4:24pm
Nick Coleman
LtCol, USAF (Retired)
Park City, Utah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2016 at 5:31pm
If you come up with a good way, post it here as I too am looking to add shocks.  Trying to date mine as no data tag and have not seen any stamped numbers as of yet.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickcoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2016 at 6:39pm
Art ... You're awesome ... thanks for the shock mount advice.
Nick Coleman
LtCol, USAF (Retired)
Park City, Utah
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2016 at 11:31pm
Have not seen anything for quite a while...this might be another alternative with a universal shock bolt if you are wanting exact copy of the original mount.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330975_200330975

I moved all the shock mounting dialog to a new post in the Bantam Trailer - Technical Discussion so we can take all the conversation out of your personal trailer post:

Edited by 48cj2a - 30 Sep. 2016 at 6:58pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
 Post Reply Post Reply