Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:05pm
I would check your other case and see how it looks, if you already have a better case on hand there's no point in useing a case that's questionable.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 4:06am
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

I would check your other case and see how it looks, if you already have a better case on hand there's no point in useing a case that's questionable.

Thanks, should have known that would be the answer, but part of me didn't want to tear a 3rd transfer case apart in as many days, but got it done. 

Bearing surfaces on this one look much better though. 

Intermediate shaft, not so much. 
1947 CJ2a
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Jerkzack Jerkzack wrote:

Intermediate shaft, not so much. 

Wow.  That shaft is definitely not optimal.  Ouch
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 3:16am
Slowly plugging away, got the transfer case prepped and ready for rebuild. 

POR 15 Rust converter applied

And got my patch panel from Mike in Oregon. I've never cut and welded a new panel in, but this is so well made, it just looks simple. Thanks Mike! 

Unfortunately his patch panel never came with the welding skills to make it look pretty. But it's in, and not warped. Hopefully the ugly can be ground off. I need gas. 

1947 CJ2a
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:11am
"Unfortunately his patch panel never came with the welding skills to make it look pretty."

They usually ship in a separate envelope,  and it may have gotten lost (and around these parts the strongest part of my welding game continues to be my grinding skills LOL)

Looking good!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 3:41pm
My welding skills improved exponentially when I got a new helmet with a big window and cheater lens. Now that I can actually see what I am trying to weld, I'm starting to figure out what it takes to get a decent bead. I'm still not any good, but I can at least get the new metal in the gap now. Your's looks great to me. All the welds are actually on both pieces of metal and not walking off in a different direction.

I'm definitely in the school of welding that has the motto "grinders and paint make welders that ain't."
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 12:31pm
Adam for your first patch that is not bad,little grinding and your all ready for auto body filler well done.

Adam thanks for stopping by last Friday with your family  on your way home from your vacation from PEI.Cool
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:52am
I'm a beginner welder as well. Dabbled for about 2 years with a couple of classes. The last six months I've been doing it regularly, finding odd projects to test my skills.

I'm using a simple 120 volt MIG. I had a small tank and exchanged it for a much larger version and it is well worth the money.  I also keep a backup spool of flux core just in case.

My advice, and others please correct me if I'm wrong, is it is better to be hot and fast to get good bead . Also don't be afraid of turning the gas up. I was seeing cheap and kept it at 15-20psi.  Bumping to 25, sometimes 30, and things are much cleaner.

Hope that helps. Keep posting pictures!

Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 3:07pm
Small update. I decided to pick up a used intermediate shaft out of a Dana 20 from ebay. Looked to be in decent shape, much better than mine anyway. All for the large sum of $15. 
It looks rough, but I could not feel any discernible wear with fingernail test, so good enough for this rig.

Got the TC assembled. No pictures of it going together I guess. 

Was having trouble getting the trans to mate to the TC, so came up with these high tech alignment pins

And the whole thing together

1947 CJ2a
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Adam for your first patch that is not bad,little grinding and your all ready for auto body filler well done.

Adam thanks for stopping by last Friday with your family  on your way home from your vacation from PEI.Cool

Just seeing this now, sorry! Nice seeing you again too Gil, and finally seeing that jeep of yours. Amazing work!
1947 CJ2a
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 9:47pm
Just keep at it. I did some of my first welds on our MB with a gas rig. They were ugly. I took more classes and I ended up in a college welding class.
We were doing overhead welds. By then I had made up some leather chaps to save my pants. Big machines and they still made us weld with a stick. I got done and dropped the piece on the table and chipped the slag off.
cooled it down and went to hand it to the instructor. He looked at the nice straight bead and looked at the back for penetration. He handed it back and asked me what sort of a weld it was, Ummmm, vertical down. His only comment was that I did it better than he could have done. With practice, you can do some great welds. Flap wheels are also a great thing to have.
uncamonkey
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 2:39am
Small update. Got the engine painted and mated to the trans/tc and now slid into the corner of my shed. 

My little helper

Question time, are there any turbos available that are a direct bolt on to this manifold?

Something like this? Or is this too small for this application?

Also cleaned out the local salvage and surplus store of this. Saved me buying POR15, and about $150-200 cheaper. Pretty much a lifetime supply! 

Edited by Jerkzack - 07 Sep. 2018 at 2:41am
1947 CJ2a
Lated View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 4:25am
A bit pricey, but overlanddiesel has a turbo kit for kubotas.

Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Jerkzack Jerkzack wrote:

My plan is to box in the frame from the cross tube to the transmission crossmember as one piece to further brace the area where the new rail was welded in. Are there any access points or anything that attaches to the front frame rail around this area that I'm going to screw up if I box it all in? I don't remember there being anything, but it's been a long time since I disassembled this. 

Edited by Jerkzack - 14 Sep. 2018 at 5:32pm
1947 CJ2a
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 5:37am
You've still got the original frame sections; just make a note of whatever might be there.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2019 at 6:13pm

Spring is here, done maple syrup season, so I'm starting to get excited to work on this again. Andddd now come more questions haha. Is there supposed to be this much play in the rear diff? Before I spend hours stripping and prepping this one, should I be looking at one of my spares?

1947 CJ2a
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 1:15am
After researching this via multiple youtube videos, I'm thinking the spider gears are worn, specifically the spider gear spacer. Is it possible for the centre of this to wallow out and allow the play seen in the second video?
1947 CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123