Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 51>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Originally posted by Boomer Boomer wrote:

What shade of Yellow is that? Im thinking of going a bright yellow when I get to that stage.... looks good

Careful what you wish for, yellow attracts lots of 🐝 

Sunset yellow from TCP Global. 

Thanks for the compliments gents! 

I couldn't help myself. It was a little tense doing this alone and trying not to damage the fresh paint. But i managed with no scars! 

Now I'm going to relax and celebrate with an adult beverage....

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 7:40pm
Been a little slow. We away for a few days. But I did manage to make some progress. 

Fuel system is complete. And yes....I did polish the tank. Stop laughing! 

I mocked the roll bar and seats in place so I could get an idea of where to mount the shoulder straps. I have a pretty simple plan to add a bar to the lower section of the roll bar. It should be just about right. I will tie the cage to the frame while I'm at it. 

I did in the end decide to scrap the old wiring harness. I have a new Painless deal going in. I'm thinking the holiday weekend is when I will get it all wired up. 

That's it for now. Really hope the extra day this weekend will bring good results! 

Edited by nofender - 24 May 2021 at 7:42pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:31pm
Hey Andy,  Looks like the Jeep is coming along pretty good.  Like the yellow. 
I have a 1969 Camaro "SS" 396 that is Daytona yellow with the black hockey stripe down the side. 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2021 at 5:53am
Originally posted by sparky13 sparky13 wrote:

Hey Andy,  Looks like the Jeep is coming along pretty good.  Like the yellow. 
I have a 1969 Camaro "SS" 396 that is Daytona yellow with the black hockey stripe down the side. 

Thanks Mark. It's getting there. 

The wiring has slowed me down quite a bit. But, taking my time and doing it the right way will be worth it. I'm about 80% done. Quite by accident, I ended up hiding most of the wiring. Other than battery cables, you can see very little wiring under the hood. It's got a clean look that I like. 

The last big challenge is the dash. I could just slap it all back together and it would be just fine. But, the switch layout was all wonky. Holes were randomly spaced. So the time was invested in filling all the holes and starting fresh. The gauge layout was fine. So I let that be. I want the dash to be easily removable. So I'll be adding some quick disconnects to the gauges and so on. 

I don't think I'll make my deadline of July 18. But that's okay. It allows me to slow down a bit and add a bit more detail. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2021 at 7:31am
Wiring, done correctly, can almost be an art form Smile... with your obsessive attention to detail, it doesn't stand a chance LOL

(and I have to keep reminding myself how lousy fiberglass is to ground to Wink )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Wiring, done correctly, can almost be an art form Smile... with your obsessive attention to detail, it doesn't stand a chance LOL

(and I have to keep reminding myself how lousy fiberglass is to ground to Wink )

Thank you sir! And yes grounding has been a challenge. But I came up with some solutions to make it not maddening! 

So we have power! 

The rear of the Jeep is complete. I settled on lights that were supposedly destined for a 1941 Ford. Instead of horizontal, I mounted them vertical. It worked out well with my shovel mount. The light shines through the handle! Trailer wiring is done. Plate light is lighting things. And for the first time in I don't know how long, a reverse light actually comes on when I hit reverse. Go figure. 

It's slow. It's progress. But like is said....it's slow. It is what it is. I'm happy with the results. Just wish i had more available time to spend these days. 

Also mocked up the dash layout. Now I can body work the dash and wrap that up. Ignore the mismatched speedo and tach. That will be rectified in final assembly. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Ignore the mismatched speedo and tach. That will be rectified in final assembly. 

Curious to see which goes away,  the 120mph speedometer or the 8000 rpm tach.  LOL

Seriously though . .  what a great build!     I am so in awe,   every time you post!
Long_Range View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long_Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 8:06am
I mocked the roll bar and seats in place so I could get an idea of where to mount the shoulder straps. I have a pretty simple plan to add a bar to the lower section of the roll bar. It should be just about right. I will tie the cage to the frame while I'm at it. 

I used to own a '60 CJ5 and I added the cross bar to my roll bar like you are planning to do to give attachment points for my shoulder harnesses. I had the welder add angle iron behind the seat (with the flat against the seat back) to support the seat too. Made me feel better about less stress on seat base and frame when driving over rough stuff.
Nice jeep you are building.

Bill

Edited by Long_Range - 11 June 2021 at 8:09am
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 5:42am
So catch up time.....

Well I'm not going to make my deadline of the 18th. It's a bit disappointing as I really wanted to have this Jeep on the beach with us. 

The good news is that I only missed the mark by a week or two. If i had a couple of more solid weekends, I just might have made it. So instead of rushing it, I decided to slow down a bit and spend some more time on details. 

Here's what the dash ended up looking like - 

behind the scenes....

I refurbished the factory roll bar. I added a spreader to hang the shoulder belts. 

These backing plates were built for the roll bar. Eventually I'll add spreaders down to frame so it will actually offer some protection if things go bad! 

And finally.....the most important accessory was added. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 10:32am
nice work, sir.

funny, this opener earned your former project "best of show" by a car show attendee:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2021 at 9:12pm
Well we are nearing the end of this build. Now came the part I was dreading the most.....

But first - I spent some time body working the hood and fenders. After sand blasting, it was clear the fenders were pretty mucked up. I considered just buying new ones. But in the end decided to invest a few hours and fix this junk. 

Here's how we landed after a weekend of welding, body work and sanding. 

Then started my nightmare.....painting this stuff. I really thought my troubles with this paint was user error. But truth be told I don't think I'm that inept! This yellow is so damn thin, I just can't spray it without runs. I've tried everything, but it's still been a struggle to get this crap to cover. Put it this way - I'm nearly out of material. I've laid nearly a gallon of paint on this project. As a comparison I did the 2a top bottom, and a trailer top bottom and still had 1/3 of a gallon left. 

If you ever desire a yellow jeep - DON'T! 

Anyway, I did manage to get paint laid down that I guess I can live with. I keep telling myself, this was meant to be a beater beach Jeep. So I'm forgiving my own sins.

Tomorrow, we will flip things over, sand some runs and pray we have enough paint to wrap this up. I'm whining.....but this is exciting! Once the paint cures, we can actually start the final assembly! Long road!! 

Edited by nofender - 20 Aug. 2021 at 9:19pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2021 at 9:11am
Hey Andy,   What are your plans for this Jeep? 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2021 at 9:31am
My 2a was yellow once... thank god it isn't anymore LOL

(KIDDING!  So close now Thumbs Up )

ETA: and the shop looks better with elbow room Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2021 at 10:06am

Hey Andy,   What are your plans for this Jeep? 

Beach. Mild trails. It's locked front and rear. So it should be plenty capable. Just general good weather fun. Maybe some day drag it out to Colorado and do some trails out there. Who knows. Just looking forward to having a street legal Jeep back. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2021 at 10:10am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

My 2a was yellow once... thank god it isn't anymore LOL

(KIDDING!  So close now Thumbs Up )

ETA: and the shop looks better with elbow room Smile

The shop has an echo now! It's very odd! 

In case ya'll were wondering - I sold both wagons and my plow truck all in a two week span. Stars aligned and the deals were right. So off they went. I'm having a hell of a time resisting the urge to go acquire more junk. But it's sure nice having room to work again! So I'm staying strong. LOL
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2021 at 1:40pm
That Jeep is going to be pretty nice when it is done. So you sold both wagons and the truck?  I guess to that the shop has an echo.   
Mark
1946 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 4:59am

That Jeep is going to be pretty nice when it is done. So you sold both wagons and the truck?  I guess to that the shop has an echo.   

Thanks. While I'm not happy with the paint job, the Jeep overall is turning out to be what I envisioned! So that's a good thing. 

Yep - I decided I needed to be realistic about my line up of projects. So I sold off the wagons. Sold off the plow truck. I'll likely just put a plow on my 1500 and call it a day. We'll see. 

In the meantime - a few glamour shots for you. LOL

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 8:33pm
Milestone today - wiring is 100% done! Also knocked off the list - rear brakes, t-case shifters, engine compartment. 

Left to do - 

Windshield. Fluids. Belts. Reinstalled spark plug wires. Bleed brakes. I think that's about it! I hope to be driving it by teh end of the holiday weekend. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 51>