Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 51>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 8:14am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Cleaning up all this original hardware might seem tedious - but it's very satisfying! 

It's good to see you applying your superpowers (OCD and attention to detail) to good instead of "wicked" LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2022 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

It's good to see you applying your superpowers (OCD and attention to detail) to good instead of "wicked" LOL

I thought about you and NoFenda as I flew through Baltimore and took the bus from Boston to Hyannis this past Sunday.

PM me if you have any interest in getting involved in new projects...
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 8:19am
Little catch up......but no pictures......

The transfer case is buttoned up. While I was at it, the e-brake system was refurbished. All the gear lube that was flinging about really preserved the inner workings! I now have a functioning e-brake. 

Also at this time the Ramsey dual output single stick PTO was added. Everything fit like a glove......except the exhaust. I had to remove it to fit the PTO. I did some research here on the page and my options seem a bit limited. I absolutely do not want the exhaust hanging below the crossmember/skid. So either the MB style exhaust (more than I care to spend) or something custom (which i don't really want either) In the meantime, I'll ponder it and move on to other things.

Today's tasks are to mount the correct MC and brace. Then I need to correct my error on the front brakes. My goal is to end today with a functioning brake system! 

Wish me luck. Pictures later. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 8:58am
Good luck!
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 10:33am
I have an OEM M/C brace if you need it. Let me know if yours doesn't work.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 7:46pm
Thanks gents!

As is typical lately - I stink at pictures. 

But brake system is complete. I found a couple issues with my prior assembly of the front end. Minor stuff - but corrected. I suppose it was a good thing I had to address the front brakes! 

MC is in. I found some hackery I had to correct. Seems someone put a later MC into this chassis. It was not done well. So…..had to do some fixing. That said it was minor in nature. Now the system is complete. 

I’d be done if I had an extra set of hands (or feet) to bleed the system. Mrs Nofender promises a foot tomorrow. 

It was a good Jeep day. Back to my early days of Jeeping. Big smile all day! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 8:50pm
 I found a simple way to bleed brakes without the help of another person.  I bought a small plastic bottle that come with a plastic tube to use with a pump to bleed brakes with available at parts stores, Walmart has them also.  Instead of using a pump I put about an ounce of brake fluid in the bottle, enough that the the tube inside or the bottle is in fluid. Then loosen the the bleeder and slip the tube coming out of the top of the bottle onto the bleeder. Now just pump the brake peddle a few times, tighten the bleeder, dump the fluid that you pumped into the bottle back into the master cylinder and go to the next wheel to repeat.   Worked great for me.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 10:33pm
Speed Bleeders!

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2022 at 10:42pm
My brake bleeder is a 1 gallon pressure sprayer from Lowes, and a military surplus bleeder cap for the MC, yes I still have the single reservoir MC. I hook a hose for the sprayer to the hose barb on the bleeder cap and pump the sprayer just enough for a little pressure, then I start at right rear wheel, just put a hose on the bleeder valve going into a mason jar, loosen the valve and wait until there are no bubbles, then move around to the other three. 

Takes just a few minutes, and done, with no worry about running out of fluid in the MC. 

A buddy of mine rigged up something similar for a dual reservoir MC, but he had to get a special cap for the MC. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2022 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

My brake bleeder is a 1 gallon pressure sprayer from Lowes, and a military surplus bleeder cap for the MC, yes I still have the single reservoir MC. I hook a hose for the sprayer to the hose barb on the bleeder cap and pump the sprayer just enough for a little pressure, then I start at right rear wheel, just put a hose on the bleeder valve going into a mason jar, loosen the valve and wait until there are no bubbles, then move around to the other three. 

Takes just a few minutes, and done, with no worry about running out of fluid in the MC. 

A buddy of mine rigged up something similar for a dual reservoir MC, but he had to get a special cap for the MC. 

Funny - last night I collected all the bit I need to make a set up like this. 

Today looks like brake bleed, then replace front output seal and transmission mounts. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2022 at 7:18pm
Okay....well today was the day. 

Thus far this jeep has been a pleasure to work on. Very few broken bolts and things in overall good serviceable condition. 

That changed today with the front output seal on the t-case. I fought for almost two hours to get it out carefully without damaging the case. At one point, I debating the labor savings in actually removing the case. Then....The yoke that came off the t-case wouldn't go back on. That befuddled me. But it appears to have mating with the out put shaft in one unique spot. Once i figured out the spot, it went right on. 

One broken bolt ended up with me punching myself in the face while holding a 1/2 drive ratchet. I'm sure I'll be rewarded with a nice shiner come morning. For now it just looks like I ran into a fist on my right cheek. Damn thing. 

So those were my challenges today. But there were positives!! 

The brakes are bled! For the first time this Jeep has working brakes. I was pleasantly surprised to see the brake lights light up as well! had no idea if they were functioning until today. I was about to take her off the skates and test drive, when I remembered I have no exhaust......again.....

So, new mounts are in. The crossmember was relieved of literally pounds of crud and what seemed to be concrete. I resisted the urge to paint everything as i normally would do. Instead, I just cleaned and "preserved" what's there. 

Driveshaft is rebuilt. Still need to do the front. But it's in good shape. Just needs new joints. I just ran out of gas today. Next weekend perhaps. 

I did have to add new hardware to the crossmember mounts. The hardware was too far gone. So note above about my face. LOL

The old gal fought me hard today. I shut the lights off in the shop and gave her a nod - as if to say - "okay, we have some mutual respect now. You aren't a push over. But you realize I'm stubborn as f***"  She nodded back as if to say, "you've earned the right to take care of me now. Now get out of my shop sonny"

Meanwhile a few poser shots. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2022 at 8:06pm
Good for you for persevering, it looks like you're making forward progress.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2022 at 9:14pm
You need to get one of Joe Deyoung's seal pullers, #28 on the list below.
Makes it a snap to get those seals out!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 5:13am
I learned early on to put a pair of mating marks on both the yoke and shaft before pulling the yoke on anything that’s not brand new.
I use a set of 1/8” letter punches so I can keep the yokes sorted out if I have more than one on the bench
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 5:27am
Good call on the seal tool. and likewise good call on marking the yoke. I've never run into this until now. But I also believe this yoke has never been off. So marking it would have been a great idea. 

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been playing with Jeeps for 40 years now. Doing something stock, preserving has been fun. I've already learned a great deal from this little Jeep and all of you! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 7:49am
Boy, you gotta dirty up that pto knob LOL... and if that biatch gives you any more lip, leave her outside for a night-

She'll get the message Wink

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 11:43am
+1 on Joe’s puller. I’ve accumulated a variety of pullers over the years, and I can Attest that Joe’s puller is way ahead of the others for pinion seals.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2022 at 5:31am
okay....let's see here. Some small updating to do.

I finally got the boot and ring for the PTO shifter. Got that installed. Probably silly - but I've bagged and tagged any pieces and hardware I remove from the Jeep. The original plate and PTO cover off the t-case are stowed away. 

Next up was body mounts/bolts. I knew i had some issues there. I could see some of the pads were missing. Bolts were loose. But it was worse than I thought. Only one body mount bolt was really doing anything. All the rest were loose and or rusted. 

So I ended up unbolting the body (resisting the urge to remove it entirely) and replaced the pads and all the hardware. The rear most mounts - 3 of 4 were broken or missing. I welded in a new tab on the driver side. There are two functioning now. At some point I'll do something about the two inner mounts. End result - the body is solidly mounted now. 

I then got the Jeep fired up. It's been months since I have run it. She was a little stubborn. But once running, she purred like usual. Sadly I think this motor is toast though. It smokes something awful. We'll see what happens after I drive it around a bit. But my gut tells me it's coming out. 

Lastly we cleaned up the rear seat frame and brushed some POR15 on it. I have the new covers. I just need lower springs. 

So question for the gurus here - how do I tighten up the column shifter? I can't seem to find and parts kits. I did some research here on the page and found some tidbits. Seems the threads are older and the picture hosts no longer exist. If anyone has some pics or a link with a good how too - please share. Thanks! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 51>