Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 51>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 12:21pm
It's been a little bit....

Although I haven't done a whole bunch to the Jeep, other than drive it around, I have been "Jeep" busy. 

After the trip to Rausch Creek, the crawler needed some repairs. But I won't bore you with that. 

What I'm more excited about is this what we think is a Sterling trailer. I picked this up back in December. I really haven't done anything with it. So I dragged it into the shop and started fiddling with it. Since I made the Bantam-ish trailer too nice for real work, I decided this one will be the work horse. 

First the tongue needed repairs. I cut out the rust and plated the infected area. I used some rusty plate i had kicking around - yes for looks. After a few days rain, you can't even tell it was repaired. I added proper safety chains to what I think is the stock location. 

I added some LED tail lights I had kicking around. We repacked the bearings, aired up the tires and made our fist scrap run! 

Then a week or two later, I enlisted my son's carpentry skills to add some sides to the old gal. He did a great job! It's now completely full of brush and leaves i have to get rid of. 

I'm really falling in love with this little trailer. So in love that I'm working to buy a 3A with a similar look to haul it around with. It needs it, don't you think! 

And my little decorative piece.....

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

... Since I made the Bantam-ish trailer too nice for real work...

Cry

Gimme that thing for a weekend, You"ll use it for work after LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 2:27pm
Good thing your son was there that day. HE did a great job, while you stood around and talked to me and the other son. Hey, I think I know what 3a you speak of. When are we leaving to pick it up ? Tongue

Just resumed working on my M416 yesterday. I'm heading towards a overlander trailer, but the 416 was not perfect anyways. I don't have that far to go to rid myself of leaves and brush. I live in the leaves and brush. Wink

We need to go for a summer jaunt. Now I know what you guys went through getting out here last summer.  It must have been very painful.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

Good thing your son was there that day. HE did a great job, while you stood around and talked to me and the other son. Hey, I think I know what 3a you speak of. When are we leaving to pick it up ? Tongue

Just resumed working on my M416 yesterday. I'm heading towards a overlander trailer, but the 416 was not perfect anyways. I don't have that far to go to rid myself of leaves and brush. I live in the leaves and brush. Wink

We need to go for a summer jaunt. Now I know what you guys went through getting out here last summer.  It must have been very painful.

I almost went today! 

Probably a couple more weeks - after our family vacation. I’ll keep you posted!
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2019 at 2:20pm
Big smile I'm ready. I will have to check my schedule...............I'm open anytime this year. Thumbs Up
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2019 at 5:15pm
Nofender !!

Well, I think I just spent the last 3-hours going through the first 10 pages of threads. What an "hour-eater" going through all that body work.
This reminds me of the refurb of the only other '46 I have owned prior to the one I currently own, (which I purchased in Dec. 2017).   You were well into your refurb by Dec. 2017.   Nice work.
   It was the necessity of the bodywork in '84, which required me to purchase a wire machine, and wound up with a Linde 225 Mig-Master, and ran .030 wire through the .035 liner.   It worked, but I had lots of feed-roll ball-ups. Argh !
   Anyway ha, I got a chuckle of the Fat-boy-bending to straighten parts.
Yep, and the propane dilemma in the cold months, because I always freeze my cachucus (butt) off and my pinkies. Have to always dash for the house to stand in front of the fireplace insert to get warmed back up, and often !

Let's see, back in 1984, when I restored that first 2A, I acquired the Mig machine which I still have today. For any of you guys wondering what good used wire machine to buy used, the light-green colored Linde 225 Mig-Master is one of the best older machines according to my local welding shop. I bought it because that was what the local shop sold, AND, it was on sale. right !
   Yep, it was $1,500 new in '84 with argon bottle.
So, today, hmm, I am ALOT older, and dumber ( I told the young guys at work that when I retire (2017) that I hope to dumb-down ).    hahahaha, its working.

I am going to have to go through the same that you did with your body. Most all of the fender-well spot welds are broke loose and the rear needs hours of dolly work and patience to then melt it all back together again. Humpty-dumpty will hopefully climb the wall once again.   chortle !
   I wish I had taken photos of the power-steering I installed but did stumble across the box of left-over parts from that build a few weeks back, and there was a left-over steering u-joint that I had used from a VW for that build. They are very nice units, being small diameter and tuck nicely between things.
(just a tip for anyone considering going to Power Steering. With the mig we can safely weld steering shafts if we properly V-groove the ends to be joined.

I like your box trailer. It looks to be pretty old-school.

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 11:28am
thank you sir. Appreciate you reading my build. Glad you enjoyed! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2019 at 10:25pm
Soooo......to update.....

We've been driving this thing quite a lot! We had it out in Ohio. We did some local car shows. We did the Mason Dixon run through Gettysburg, which was amazing. Anyway - lots of enjoyable miles! 

In the middle of all that we relocated from Massachusetts to Maryland. The area we live is full of some beautiful farm country, rolling hills and in general scenic driving. One thing I realized on these hills however, is that the 60hp is, shall we say......underwhelming. I'm used to some high horsepower rigs. From daily drivers, tow rigs and the crawler there is nothing under 300hp in the stable. One in the fleet is pushing 400+. For example - my prior tow rig was pushing 450HP and 850 ft/lbs of torque. Yes, admittedly, I have issues. 

So....and some of you may cringe, I've decided to do a V6 swap. I know. I know. The flathead is so cool and it's so right for this Jeep. How could I hack this build up? Well after careful consideration, I decided I couldn't do it! 

So my idea of a V6 swap is........well, build another Jeep!!! So I'm going to just document this is the same thread using the excuse that this is really just an elaborate V6 swap into my my original Jeep. If the mods would like to move this thread somewhere else, that okay too. 

A couple of years ago I was visiting a good friend out in Freetown Ma. He's a bit of a Jeep hoarder. He had an very 70's/80's CJ5 that I was just enamored with. He had just picked it up for his wife. I loved it. It had the right stance, the right parts (mostly) and just reminded me of my 5 from another time. Needless to say I offered to buy it. I offered to build his deck in trade. I offered to design the suspension on his crawler in trade. None of this interested him. 

Fast forward to August of 19. Randomly, he reached out and offered me the Jeep. The price (which I can't reveal) was so reasonable, I couldn't believe what I heard. So.....two weeks before we moved, I struck a deal and picked up this Jeep. I picked it up on a Friday and trailered it to Maryland on that following Sunday. There we tucked it away in the new shop.

The specs are as follows: 
  • early 60's (we think) CJ5
  • fiberglass body with one piece nose
  • fresh 3.8 even fire Buick
  • SM465 truck transmission
  • Dana 300 with stock gearing
  • Dana 30 front with a locker
  • Dana 44, 30 spline flanged rear
  • power steering conversion
The plan:
  • straighten out some prior build errors on the chassis
  • refurbish the suspension
  • disc brake front conversion 
  • proper fuel cell
  • tilt column
  • winch
  • maybe a plow set up too
Here's the pictures of when we brought her home. 

And here's the shots of her recent deconstruction......

I've taken a few liberties posting this on the 2A page. I hope folks don't mind. But in my head this is just a continuation of my original build. So I hope I'm allowed a bit of leeway......Thanks!!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2019 at 10:40pm
Looking forward to this build and wheeling with you again!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2019 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Looking forward to this build and wheeling with you again!

With a little luck, the next time we wheel, I'll bring this CJ5! Look forward to it my friend! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2019 at 12:39am
Nice 5 and where did you land in MD?
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2019 at 3:05am

In today's episode of solutions to problems no one has........we tackle weight distribution! 

So for the last 15 years I owned a one ton Diesel Ram to haul my junk around. Actually it was a 3/4 ton quite modified to do one ton plus things. The abuse and weight I threw at that thing are a felony in12 states. 

Anyway fast forward. Around Christmas, I made the tough choice to sell the old gal and the JK. I'm traveling more and more and needed some comfort for those long days. So, I picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 with all sorts of fancy gizmos in it. It's easily the most complex vehicle I have ever owned. I love it. But it really is more of an SUV than a pick up. Coil spring rear is wonderful.....until you put some weight on it. 

Hauling a Jeep - no problem. The thing is spec'd to pull 11,000 lbs plus. It's no Diesel. But it's pretty bad ass in the power department. But boy you need to get the weight in just the right spot. I have a couple events I want to go to this year, one being the reunion. I've toyed with every configuration to get the Jeep and the trailer up onto my 18 foot deck trailer. They will fit fine. But the tongue weight is crazy. Also the rear overhangs a bit more than I would like. See pic....

You can see the weight bars hooked up. It wasn't bad. But, when i crawled under the truck i saw the bumps were an inch away from bottoming. And I wasn't all too comfortable with the bulge in the not 10 ply anymore street tires this truck has. 

So I built this. 

Picture the trailer tongue forward up to the front of the trailer. The landing foot drops into the box. We cinch down the lunette and secure the axle. Now the Jeep can be driven behind the trailer and also cinched down. This lands the Jeeps weight perfectly centered over the trailers dual axles! WIN!! 

Yes it will take some maneuvering at the final destination. But I think this will be much safer set up for the long hauls with both pieces. 

We'll test fit it all in the AM. I'm pretty confident this will balance out great. A little tension on the bars and we'll be good! 

I was faced with the same dilemna coming back from FCT this year. I went up with the Jeep and came back with a Jeep and a trailer-

For some reason it wouldn't fit with the back of the trailer toward the front and I don't remember why...

FWIW,
Mike
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Rich M. Rich M. wrote:

Nice 5 and where did you land in MD?

Carroll County - New Windsor.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2019 at 3:12pm
I knew that 5 was coming apart the first time I laid eyes on it LOL ... it never really stood a chance Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2019 at 10:48am
Nivrat, here's how my towing set up worked out. I got the Bantam way up front. It balanced very nicely and went down the road very well! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2019 at 2:33pm
A smart, beautifully rendered solution! I've always admired your Pasture Green jeep/trailer combo and enjoyed seeing it/them at the 2019 Spring Willys rally in Ohio. Your comments about the rear coil springs on current generation Ram pickups is interesting. When FCA made the switch from leaf-sprung rear to coils, the company engineers assured those of us in the media that there'd be no issues with payload-related vehicle dynamics.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2019 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

A smart, beautifully rendered solution! I've always admired your Pasture Green jeep/trailer combo and enjoyed seeing it/them at the 2019 Spring Willys rally in Ohio. Your comments about the rear coil springs on current generation Ram pickups is interesting. When FCA made the switch from leaf-sprung rear to coils, the company engineers assured those of us in the media that there'd be no issues with payload-related vehicle dynamics.

Thank you sir! 

I think for most users the FCA coil design is just fine. But me, coming from a 3/4 ton+ truck, it didn't feel safe with what I pull. Adding the bags was the trick. It doesn't take much air to get where I like - 15-30 lbs, depending on load. So I think FCA got close......just not close enough. 

That said - she tows like a dream with a little air in the bags. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2019 at 10:33pm

I think for most users the FCA coil design is just fine. But me, coming from a 3/4 ton+ truck, it didn't feel safe with what I pull. Adding the bags was the trick. It doesn't take much air to get where I like - 15-30 lbs, depending on load. So I think FCA got close......just not close enough. 

That said - she tows like a dream with a little air in the bags. 

That doesn't sound like a coil spring issue.  It sounds like the same issue I had when I tried to use my leaf-sprung '95 F-150 like a 3/4 ton truck!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 51>