Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 51>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 12:28am
I haven't seen any pictures on the 5 for awhile. I was wondering how it was coming along. Looking pretty good. That 5 will be a nice driver when done.  
Mark
1946 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2021 at 12:01pm
getting down to the wire.....pun intended. 

Yesterday we fabbed the battery and ground cables. The winch is also wired up. 

Grounding is a pain. So I made this grounding block under the hood. the big cable is to the battery. The smaller grounds the motor to the chassis. There is also a cable (not shown) going into the passenger compartment. Under the dash I'll made another grounding block for the smaller things. 

The final steering fab is started. A plate was created to reinforce the pedal area. It was a bit hacked up. After making the plate, i was ready to cut the hole for the column. It was then I realized the column was wrong - too short. I don't know if this was a shipping error or my error. But either way, It's not going to work. So, minor delay. We have plenty to keep busy with until the correct one arrives

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2021 at 3:06pm
Where did you get those batttery terminals? I like those.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

Where did you get those batttery terminals? I like those.

Summit Racing - 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 12:47pm
How to vent the various gear boxes......

I found these K+N deals with the mounting stud that were just what the doctor ordered. These reside, well protected, between the RotoPaks and the tub. One is the vent for the fuel tank. The other will be for the rear axle and t-case. There is another mounted on the firewall for the front axle and transmission vent. 

I've got the fuel lines from the tank to the bulk head fittings. I'm not thrilled with the way the bulkheads landed. The tub floor is thicker than expected. So the bulkhead nuts couldn't be used. Instead the fitting themselves hold the bulkhead to the floor. Probably will be just fine forever. But I'm going to see if there is a possible better option. We'll see. But for now you can see how the lines will route. The one facing rear is the vent. There is a rollover valve in the tank. But i added a second rollover valve at the fitting for an extra margin of safety. The forward facing, of course heads to the fuel pump. 

Next is wiring. I initially salvaged the harness that came with the Jeep. But I'm considering abandoning that plan. I may have stripped too many circuits out. Don't know if it's worth the trouble to add some back in. More to come on that......
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 3:43pm
More good ideas. I like those vent filters, too. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2021 at 1:19pm
And just like that, all the chassis fab is finally done. The last hurdle was the steering. Three columns (don't ask) later, the steering wheel is finally connected to the front wheels! I can't exactly explain why this one was such a challenge. I've done this plenty of times in the past with 1/4 of the drama. I think with the 5, every angle was just a bit different, cause the challenges. I'm happy with the set up now and think it's going to work out great. 

So seeing as that is done, I blew the whole Jeep back apart. I need to repaint some parts of the chassis. I also want to plumb the air system while the body is all. 

Then finally I can prep and paint the tub! 

Here's how we ended the day. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2021 at 5:26pm
A work of art!  Nicely done!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2021 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Barry S Barry S wrote:

A work of art!  Nicely done!

-Barry

Thank you sir! 

I made a dolly for the tub on Sunday. So this weekend we can start some bodywork. Lots of holes drilled in this tub that I need to repair/fill. Hope to be in paint in a week or two! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2021 at 1:21am
That 5 is going to look good when done. I like all the fabrication that went into this Jeep!  What color are you going to be painting it? 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2021 at 10:36am
Originally posted by sparky13 sparky13 wrote:

That 5 is going to look good when done. I like all the fabrication that went into this Jeep!  What color are you going to be painting it? 

Thanks! It's taken much longer than I would have liked. But that is entirely my own fault! Big smile

Color - you'll have to wait and see. And no it's not terribly exciting! LOL I'm a pretty boring guy. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 11:07am
So paint prep is nearing completion.....at least on the tub. 

Turns out this tub was in worse shape than I thought. I know....shocking. Tongue I would guess this glass tub is 25ish years old. So imagine how many configurations it's seen. I couldn't believe how many holes where drilled in this poor thing. I stopped counting at 128. yeah......128! 

I filled each hole with epoxy. The larger holes i mixed epoxy with some glass fibers. It was a very messy process. But I wanted to give it back some strength, even if only a little. I could have easily filled many with body filler. But that didn't seem like a good idea. 

What's left is to wrap up the repair on the driver side. A large hole was hacked into the side for the filler neck. I'm not using an underseat tank. Initially I was going to leave the hole and fill it with one of those stainless bezels they sell for the tank opening. But, at the last minute I decided to repair it. So I bonded a shaped piece of 1/2 inch plywood to the original wood brace that's buried in the fiberglass. Then I layered my glass/epoxy mix over that. I ran out of abrasives to finish it up. So I'll post up a pic when that section is done. 

In the meantime.....here's a few shots to give you an idea. While the tub is off, I'm wrapping up plumbing chores. Just a little more work and I can call the chassis done and ready for the tub! 

And a little plumbing bling....

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 11:14am
Gotta' do what you Gotta' do. I caught crap from my brother after weeks of repair on my 3B.
john
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 8:45pm
Looking good man. Won't be long now. Paint will be on and then we will see what color it is going to be. 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 11:16am
Okay - a little but yet big progress. 

Work on the tub continues. I feel the body work is at an acceptable level. I waited a good part of the day yesterday for the wind to die down so I could shoot. Shooting primer is a little trickier than I thought. But, I managed to lay down two heavy coats on the tub. 

Prior to the primer, I painted the interior and firewall. The underside is ruberized undercoating. 

I cranked up the heat and let it cure overnight. Today I will do the final sand. If the weather cooperates - I'm going to lay down some color! 

This is the gas filler repair. I'm pretty pleased with this. 

And the rear. This area was pretty hacked up with multiple holes for lights and other nonsense. So this is an improvement! Big smile

Edited by nofender - 02 May 2021 at 11:17am
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 11:24am
That looks like you should just put it on the frame and get on with it LOLThumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 12:01am
Okay....here it is! 

looks good right! Well truthfully this day has been a bit of a disaster. I spent the AM final sanding the primer. Got everything nice and smooth. Well.......I sanded through the primer in a few spots. Didn't think much of it as I've done the same many times. 

Well yellow is essentially translucent. It will not cover a darker color. So......I have spots on the tub that are showing the darker layers of paint below. 

I can't blame the paint. It laid down nicely. It flowed well and produced a nice finish. This is a rookie mistake. 

Oh and did I mention the dozen bugs that flew into the paint? Yeah, it's been that kind of day. 

So what do I do? Wife says leave it alone. It almost has a faux-tina look. I suppose I could recreate that on the nose. My only option to correct it would be to sand it down, re-primer it, and re-shoot. I am not at all interested in doing that. But I also don't want it looking like a bucket full of butt holes. 

So what say you? Create a "patina" or redo? 

Edited by nofender - 03 May 2021 at 12:03am
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 12:21am
Well, it won't be any easier than now to re-do if it bugs you. 

Solid yellow shouldn't be that translucent that it won't cover. What paint did you use? How many coats were applied?

A sealer would have been nice to spray on before applying color, it would have uniformly covered the dark spots. Bugs and dirt are just part of the joys of garage painting.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 51>