Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 12:46pm
I wonder if tire size can increase the chance of those shafts breaking?     
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 1:30pm
I'm sure that would be the loophole they would hold to in any litigation proceedings.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 1:58pm
People do it to pickups all the time, they will put 40's on a stock truck steering linkage and wonder why their drag link and tie rods wear out every year.  I'm not saying that is the reason here though.
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 4:55pm
Glen, can you please post some pictures of your Crown shaft?
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 6:28pm
Glen
49 CJ3A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 6:40pm
I just sold one on the parts for sale thread that is the twin brother of Red Willy's. I bought it in haste without opening my streering box and then discovered that I didn't need it. Trying to meet a parade deadline...found a couple of different issues with the clutch and brakes so I probably won't be meeting the deadline anyway...

The Crown part appears to be a one piece forging and not a "Omix special". Had I found that I had needed the Crown sector, I would not have hesitated to install it.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 11:00pm
One more request for you if you would. A picture of the left end as it sits in the gear box. So we can see what it would look like if it was installed and we just pulled the cover off. Thanks!
Lew Ladwig
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 11:15pm
Lew, hopefully this will do. If I zoom in the picture is too large to download. Also per a PM I posted the Crown part number as well.

Glen

Edited by Red Willy - 06 Oct. 2016 at 11:20pm
Glen
49 CJ3A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 11:22pm
Awsome! Thanks!
Lew Ladwig
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2016 at 3:14pm
For those who were asking, it is possible to change the shaft and bushings with the gear box in place. I was able to drive the bushings out the bottom, towards the block. I was able to drive the bushings back in from the top. I used threaded rod, washers and nuts to pull the seal into place. It took a little over an hour start to finish. The hardest part was getting the seal squared up and started.
Glen
49 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2016 at 4:49pm
Thumbs Up  Good to know! Thanks, Glenn.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2016 at 5:04pm
You're gonna feel much better driving "Red Willy" down off'a tin cup next year wont'cha Glen!!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2016 at 6:30pm
You betcha Rick. That was definitely the last thing I expected to happen. Well I now have the donated Sector Shaft to keep in my trail kit, just in case. 🤔
Glen
49 CJ3A
Omix-ADA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omix-ADA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 2:07pm
To those having issues please check you PMs

Omix-ADA takes seriously both product quality and customer satisfaction.  We are reaching out to both of these posters in hopes of getting some detail on their incidents and rigs. As you know this part is a replacement for what is generally considered a weak component in the original Ross steering box. Given how customers build and run their rigs these days we are hesitant to speculate without further investigation what contributed to these problems.  We have confirmed this SKU is a very low volume part. If any other customers have experienced off road impacts or have concerns we ask them to contact Omix-ADA Customer Service directly via www.OmixSupport.com Attn Blake
Omix-ADA
www.omix-ada.com
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Omix-ADA Omix-ADA wrote:

To those having issues please check you PMs

Omix-ADA takes seriously both product quality and
customer satisfaction.  We are reaching out to both of these posters in
hopes of getting some detail on their incidents and rigs. As you know this part
is a replacement for what is generally considered a weak component in the
original Ross steering box. Given how customers build and run their rigs these
days we are hesitant to speculate without further investigation what
contributed to these problems.  We have confirmed this SKU is a very low
volume part. If any other customers have experienced off road impacts or have
concerns we ask them to contact Omix-ADA Customer Service directly via
www.OmixSupport.com Attn Blake

Well, we got their attention...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 3:19pm
Positive, very positive. Our voice was heard.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 3:31pm
Hey Glen - I was curious.  While under tow, did you start your jeep and drive it up Cottonwood Pass like a "pusher" locomotive, behind the towing jeep?  I was pretty far back in the pack and couldn't see if you were doing that or not.

Alan
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 3:43pm
If Omix sold 3 different sectors in the same part numbered box, they have a huge problem. There is no confusion, the two piece welded sectors are bad. How many original sectors are breaking this way?
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>