Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omix Sector Shaft Safety Warning Fellows!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 3:51pm
I contacted both Rock Auto and Summit Racing to notify them they should contact OMIX for a new picture of the part they stock. The picture shows the 2 piece design.

Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 3:52pm

I received a personal PM from Omix about my broken sector shaft this morning. I responded back and I'll see where it goes from here.
Thanks to Oilleaker and RickG for pushing this issue. It's too bad it took two to fail for action. I may have failed by not contacting Omix myself after my sector shaft failed. In hind sight I should have contacted Omxi instead of the vender.
Thanks again guys.

Edited by Rick Cline - 10 Oct. 2016 at 5:49pm
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 3:56pm
"As you know this part is a replacement for what is generally considered a weak component in the original Ross steering box."

I don't agree with this statement. The failure mode is not even remotely similar to the 'weak points' in the original ross design. Hopefully they will change their tune when they learn these are original wheels and tire size similar to original equipment. Not to mention incredibly low miles.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 4:05pm
The failures I have seen over the years are mostly cracks in the cover radiating from the adjusting screw hole...hardly relates to the sector failure.

Just my observation...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 4:06pm
I have had two emails with the Customer Service Manager. I explained that mine was restored to stock and had a little over 7K on it since the  restore in 2012. I also stated that the overall feeling was the method of production was the cause for failure. At least they are getting involved and hopefully they will come up with a solution and contact all that have purchased the "bad batch".

Tamnalan, I did not start my jeep at all while being towed back to camp. In fact I rode with Ray from the gas station at the Reservoir all the way back to Mikes.
Glen
49 CJ3A
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 8:27pm
"Given how customers build and run their rigs these days we are hesitant to speculate without further investigation what contributed to these problems."

Whats that suppose to mean?  This is mainly a hobby if you cut right to it.  If it wasn't for people enjoying their hobby and buying parts for their Jeep, they'd wouldn't be around.

I don't know, maybe I'm reading into their statement the wrong way.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

"Given how customers build and run their rigs these days we are hesitant to speculate without further investigation what contributed to these problems."

Whats that suppose to mean?  This is mainly a hobby if you cut right to it.  If it wasn't for people enjoying their hobby and buying parts for their Jeep, they'd wouldn't be around.

I'd say the letter was written by their lawyers, let's give it a chance to work out. Funny that both failures we've seen are on bone stuck jeeps with meticulous maintenance.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 10:35pm
I'm 62years old and bought my first  CJ2A when I was 13. I've never seen a sector fail. Wear on the worm contact points yes. These particular suspect repops are simply not made to industry standard and are a real  hazard  to our friends. What we want is a safety recall on the suspect sectors------------RIGHT NOW! I could care less about how much money the lawyers think they could make.  Spread the word fellows! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

I'd say the letter was written by their lawyers, let's give it a chance to work out. Funny that both failures we've seen are on bone stuck jeeps with meticulous maintenance.

Exactly!!!! Bone stock, NOT ABUSED jeeps.
Gary

51 CJ-3A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 10:43pm
Exactly what I was saying one page back in the discussion.....reading between the lines it's going to mean, in a nutshell, 'these are off road vehicles and are used in way as to subject our parts to conditions we aren't responsible for'.

I'm not saying that's how I feel just that the hobby (sadly) is going to project that feeling in litigation....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 12:20am

What Bretto said!!! X2!!!

I think that what contributed to the problem was sub-par manufacturing and engineering processes.

The original part built by Ross was a one piece forging. There are some sectors out there that are still operating that are 70 years old.

Someone said "We can build it cheaper by making it a two piece design and welding the backside of it." ...and that is what happened somewhere overseas...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 11 Oct. 2016 at 12:26am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 12:47am
I don't have a dog on this fight, except this type of failure can cost lives. I learned my lesson awhile back about Omix's "replacement" parts...... I personally saw the broken shafts myself, and I can positively state that the individuals in question, after spending THOUSANDS of dollars in restoration are not going to abuse them. But my advice to Omix would be to pay heed to what is being said, because the folks on the forums where this issue was brought to light are the backbone of their business. If it is handled in a positive manner, they would secure more customers and possibly win customers back, but any perceived attempt at blame shift could be very detrimental to their reputation.

Edited by gmcjr - 11 Oct. 2016 at 2:02am
Gary

51 CJ-3A
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2016 at 5:04am
So to be on the safe side,I pulled the cover on my steering box and found the name "Wat" on my sector shaft. One piece design, so no issues until I noticed the pins that contact the steering shaft are worn more than my original sector shaft. I bought the repair kit from Walcks 12/14 (kit# 805123) and have 1157 miles since I finished my 2a. Took a punch to one of the pins and easily marked it. Tried the same thing on my original shaft and knocked the point off my punch. Durangotang Identified the same issue on his vehicle. I will be calling Walcks Monday to see if I can get any help from them. They have been fair with me in past transactions!   
Phil

Flat spot

Shaft on left and the pin to the rt is where I marked it with a punch on the
photo below. The right shaft is my original

pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2016 at 4:47pm
Good catch!

More Chinese counterfeit crap.  Not knocking Walck's, as this is likely all they can get and it may have been correctly heat treated at one time.  Its a common problem with sourcing from China, poor materials, improper processes and often they will try to make another buck by deliberately skipping things just to see if anyone notices.  I've worked with them for several years.  Nothing surprises me anymore.

My T90 cluster gear shaft was also dead soft from them.

I suggest anyone that buys replacement parts that have bearing surfaces check the part for hardness with a center punch.  Its not an accurate assessment, but its a quick and dirty way to see if anything has been hardened.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2016 at 5:30pm
Called Walcks and talked to Carl. He was very helpful and will be sending me a new shaft. I still debate whether to use my original shaft as it is in pretty good shape. My thought at the time was to take any play out that I could. Knowing what I know now, the original maybe a safer bet. At minimum  I will have a backup
Phil
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2016 at 4:26am
Fortunately, I think the only OMIX parts I have are the shifter boots.  Not that they're made any better. They've been in less than a year and the transfer case boot is checked and torn.
I won't buy parts from any of the OMIX-related brands. FYI, if you're doing an engine rebuild, you can source Melling oil pumps and Sealed Power pistons, and other legitimate brands from O'Reilly Auto:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=piston&year=1948&make=Jeep&model=Willys&vi=1420872

I am pleased to hear that Crown seems to be a reputable brand.

I'm also glad to hear that so far no one has been hurt by these failures. Have these failures been reported to the Consumer Products Safety Commission? At their following website, there is a tab halfway down the right side of the page to "Report an Unsafe Product"

1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Roger F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2016 at 5:05pm
I found this thread this morning. Going over the entire discussion, most of the failures are from newer parts from restoration. It is now obvious that I should inspect the sector shaft. My Jeep is in good condition and I am not planning a major restoration. My question is this:

If my sector shaft appears to be original and no scoring, is it recommended that I still replace it? do the seals come with it as a kit, or are they sold separately?

Thanks,
Roger F
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2016 at 5:24pm
Roger,

I would base steering repairs on the amount of slop in the box and what's causing it. I kept my factory sector shaft. I had a lot of slop on the output shaft, but the issue was failed bushings. The housing bores were still good, so all I had to do was install new bushings for the sector shaft.

That was all my box needed.

As long the dimension of the shaft isn't noticeably different comparing the area where it rides in the bushings and where it doesn't you should be able to dress the scoring with crocus cloth.

I'd also check the 'nubbins' that ride in the worm gear for wear. A competent machine shop may be able to weld and re-harden the nubbins, possibly turn and re-harden the shaft and make custom bushings. I have no idea what it would cost, but it would certainly be safer than playing Russian Roulette with off-shore parts.

Just my opinion. If yours is bad, it may just be easiest to source a good used original as a replacement.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>