Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Jeep CJ2A -46 project | Governor things

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Willys Jeep CJ2A -46 project | Governor things
    Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 6:53pm
Hi everyone.

Im new here at the forum and I've always wanted a Willys, so I bought a cj2a a couple of month ago.
Here are some pictures you can look at. 

The idea is to renovate it. (I have already started.) And unfortunately, there was no identification signs when I bought it. The only thing I have to say it is a -46's is the ownership papers. It says that there is S/N 40557. (I have bought new signs with 40557 engraved in.) So I'll try to do it right so similar as jeeps around that S/N. It will be kinda hybrid jeep between cj2a and cj3a because of the engine and so on. 

A new body is ordered from M.D Juan Enterprises that will arrive in december. This body in the pictures are sold now.

It will be fun watching it grow and get together. Everything you say that could be my help or any suggestions, I am very grateful for.

And sorry for my bad english, im from Sweden.

This is what it looked like when I bought it.

And here's me and my brother and his girlfriend on a joyride through the Swedish countryside this summer. (I'm the photographer) Its a blast to drive!!

Now I started to take the jeep apart.

And now the frame is washed. 

And here is the new overhauled engine that I will put in. Its a newer engine from the -50 i think, but it does not matter to me. (I will paint it another colour)

Edited by PLO - 19 Aug. 2022 at 3:18pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 7:06pm
Welcome, PLO!  that's a great looking buggy...wondering why you did away with the body it came with?  it looks solid-

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 7:08pm
Hi PLO,

Nice project

How close are you to Trosa?

Maybe you should get in contact with Roger B:

Welcome to the forum Hug
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 9:01pm
Cool Willys.  I think you have a CJ-3A there.

Frame, front engine plate, tub, passenger fender, side mount radiator, rear 44 axle.  All CJ3A.

The only thing I see that is 2A is the windshield.

It is likely a 1950 CJ3A.  The serial number (40557) even works.

Hawk
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
PLO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 11:13pm

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Welcome, PLO!  that's a great looking buggy...wondering why you did away with the body it came with?  it looks solid-

MB

Thanks! I sold it away because the previous owner had destroyed the instrument panel and welded in the firewall and also drilled holes all over the body. The back fenders and the floor was replaced.

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Hi PLO,

Nice project 

How close are you to Trosa?

Maybe you should get in contact with Roger B:

Welcome to the forum Hug

Hi! 

Im far away from Trosa but I ordered the new body and some other stuff through Roger. 

Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Cool Willys.  I think you have a CJ-3A there.

Frame, front engine plate, tub, passenger fender, side mount radiator, rear 44 axle.  All CJ3A.

The only thing I see that is 2A is the windshield.

It is likely a 1950 CJ3A.  The serial number (40557) even works.

Hawk

Okay, thanks for the information Hawk. That was a bit surprising. Hmm. I have already ordered the new CJ2A body.. Maybe I'll try to get hold of a cj2a frame and sell this? Or just build a CJ2A body on a CJ3A frame? I dont know.. It will be a mix anyway. 
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2016 at 3:01am
PLO,
Don't be disappointed. The 3A isn't as old as the 2A, but they are far more rare. The 3A has many superior qualities over the 2A. Particularly the frame. I highly recommend you keep it. The 2A tub will work on the 3A frame. You might have trouble getting you seat frames to fit correctly...and the steering wheel might seem a little close to you while driving.

Another option might be to call Roger and see if you can change your order to a 3A tub. If you are tall, you will probably appreciate the additional leg room you have in a 3A.

Hawk

Edited by athawk11 - 01 Oct. 2016 at 3:03am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
PLO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2016 at 7:39pm
Now, the engine out from the frame. So now remains only to strip the frame completely and start sandblast and paint parts.

Is this original or is it junk?

I also came across one of these. I only miss the shaft between.

PLO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2016 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

PLO,
Don't be disappointed. The 3A isn't as old as the 2A, but they are far more rare. The 3A has many superior qualities over the 2A. Particularly the frame. I highly recommend you keep it. The 2A tub will work on the 3A frame. You might have trouble getting you seat frames to fit correctly...and the steering wheel might seem a little close to you while driving.

Another option might be to call Roger and see if you can change your order to a 3A tub. If you are tall, you will probably appreciate the additional leg room you have in a 3A.

Hawk

Okay, thanks for the information!

I have a plan in my head now as I thought about this weekend, to build together my CJ3A jeep but with CJ2A body at the moment so I can drive and enjoy it every summer. And over time getting all CJ2A the parts I need. And then when I have them, I lift just over the CJ2A body and order a new body to the CJ3A frame.

So the plan is to get two jeeps complete and running, one CJ2A and one CJ3A as original as possible (with some exceptions)

Would it not be fantastic with two jeeps instead of one?Big smile

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 7:33pm
I like your enthusiasm! Enjoy it as much as you can. It will attract a lot of attention I'm sure since most Swedes will never have seen one.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 6:03am
That's a great looking jeep even before you started your restoration. A lot better than even some of the finished projects I've seen. Keep us updated with lots of pics.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
PLO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2016 at 11:08pm
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. :)

Now the frame completely empty. So now I'll repair any cracks, adjust it so its straight and so on to get it ready for sandblasting and paint. Same with the axles. 

PLO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2017 at 10:19am
It's been quiet here for a while now .. But it does not mean that nothing has happened. rather the opposite.

CJ3A frame has been sandblasted and prime coated then driven off to storage.

Then I received the CJ2A body I ordered, and got hold of a complete CJ2A chassis with right axles and so on. So now I have basically a complete CJ2A and a complete CJ3A. Besides CJ3A body.

So now I'm back on track with the right frame on the right body and going to focus on the CJ2A.

Now I'll wash the CJ2A frame and fix it so I can fit the body on it. 

CJ2A frame is sandblasted and painted, the same with the front and rear axle. Sitting also new bumpers, exhaust system, brakes and brake lines,

PLO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2017 at 10:07pm
Its been quite a while here, but there's been a little progress under the summer. Here are some pictures you guys can look at. I took home the CJ3A engine that I will run in the Jeep for now. I just gonna change the enginemount on the engine to CJ2A and paint it another color. 

Do you guys have any suggestions? Same color as the frame or same as the body? The body will be painted in a Harvest Tan color. I will test the GM 113E color and see how it will turn out. 

Project is slowly moving forward...

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 12:55am
you do good work!
Engine original is black of course.
I like creative color schemes on the engine if not going for original,

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 1:34am
It looks great.  I'm glad to see you're still at it.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
PLO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 8:15pm
I have a little sidequestion here I hope someone maybe can answer. I was at my friends garage today and he bought this Willys on a auction here in Sweden. And we wounder if these numbers match or missmatch? Here are some pictures. Last service stamps in the windsheld from 1975. 
He is the second owner on this Jeep. The guy before him had it for over 40 years before he passed away. 

Yearmodel in the papers says 1946

S/N 22833

Body tag S/N 22833

Frame tag S/N 22833

Tailgate ACM S/N 13100

Tub ACM S/N 13101

Engine S/N CJ-2A 23684

Engine casting S/N 638632 W3

Edited by PLO - 15 Oct. 2017 at 8:21pm
PLO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 4:37pm
Is these holes normal or is the flywheel crap? 

Which one should I run on?

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 4:53pm
My experience is limited, but I've never seen one with big holes bored in it like the one on the right.

A machine shop should be able to resurface either one to work just fine, as long as the big hole thing isn't an issue. 

Maybe a more knowledgeable person can comment on the one with the big holes.

Edited to add "sope" to "machine"Ouch

Edited by smfulle - 10 Nov. 2017 at 7:48pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>