Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding Shocks to a Bantam T3-C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2018 at 9:54pm
The original shock mount is the rectangular version that a previous post has reproduced, NOT the curved rounded mount that is on the WWII jeeps.  Two bolts and nuts through the side of the frame and through the shock mount and one nut that attaches to a threaded rod or fixed bolt thread through the bottom of the shock mount and the frame.
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
signsup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2018 at 9:58pm
The lower shock mount is on the U bolt plate as mentioned in a previous post.  The rod is on the rear of the plate and on the inside of the leaf spring.  Rubber bushing inside of shock absorber ring, then a large flat washer and then a cotter pin through the rod holds the shock in place.  I created a tool out of PVC plastic pipe end cap with notches in it to use with a C clamp to compress the rubber bushing and then slip the octter pin through the notches in the PVC cap.
signsup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2018 at 10:02pm
And, here on my 46 T3C are the three holes needed to install the shock mount.  I can take measurements if anyone does not have the holes, but from feel, the back edge of the shock mount inside the frame rails is almost flush with the spring hanger bracket.  If not flush, it's within 1/4".  I was surprised at the angle of the shock absorber when in place.  I just presumed it would be almost straight up and down.

Hope all this helps.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 3:51am
So I looked on my trailer and it does not have the holes.  Can you get some measurements so we have one on file?
emah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 4:22am
my T3C doesn’t have any holes either. Only the early military T3 came with shocks.  Measurements would be appreciated por favor👍🏽
1947 Bantam T3C
PixelWrangler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PixelWrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2020 at 3:52am
Hi guys! I bought my BT3-C about a month ago and am in the process of getting it road worthy. I'm new to the forum and though I'd update an old topic. In searching for a solution to adding shocks that I didn't have to build myself I came cross a source for the upper shock mounts that I didn't see listed in this topic. D&L Bensinger  https://www.dlbensinger.com has the upper shock mounts for the MBT/T3 trailer, 
MBT Upper Shock Bracket on Frame

SKU: MMT019

$20 each plus shipping.

https://www.dlbensinger.com/shop/mbt-frame-shock-bracket/ ;

I ordered a pair last night and I'll let ya know how they fit once I receive them.

takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2020 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by PixelWrangler PixelWrangler wrote:

Hi guys! I bought my BT3-C about a month ago and am in the process of getting it road worthy. I'm new to the forum and though I'd update an old topic. In searching for a solution to adding shocks that I didn't have to build myself I came cross a source for the upper shock mounts that I didn't see listed in this topic. D&L Bensinger  https://www.dlbensinger.com has the upper shock mounts for the MBT/T3 trailer, 
MBT Upper Shock Bracket on Frame

SKU: MMT019

$20 each plus shipping.

https://www.dlbensinger.com/shop/mbt-frame-shock-bracket/ ;

I ordered a pair last night and I'll let ya know how they fit once I receive them.

I added those to my trailer- worked out fine. My build thread is here: https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/bantam-t3c-serial-24011_topic42731_page1.html

Edited by takesiteasy - 20 Mar. 2020 at 3:50pm
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2020 at 8:27pm
Just finishing putting shocks on my T3C and want to say thanks to all those who posted in this thread, your info is much appreciated and made the job easier. 

I have two comments to add.

1. Be sure to measure the center to center distance on your U bolts before you order spring plates.  The holes on the first set of spring plates I ordered were 3" apart. Turned out my U bolts were 2 3/4".  My thanks to Carl and Daniel at Walcks for getting me the right ones.

2.  I ordered the shock brackets from Bensinger.  Nice looking piece.  But the ones I received were a little over 3" tall and would not fit inside the frame channel.  I took them to a local machine shop and had them cut down to 2 3/4".  They fit fine now and look like they'll do a good job. I don't know if those channels were different sizes or if the factory made the wrong size bracket but I told Bensinger about it and he's looking into it.
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 2:44pm
Art, I am just now getting around to this project.  Life just keeps getting in the way.  My initial understanding is probably wrong as I though these were like a part really to fit and bolt.  However when I went to test fit them today, they are too tall.  After studying them, I am beginning to believe that these were cut off an existing trailer, thus I need remove part of them as they will not fit between the frame rail and the bottom of the bed.  The piece that the shock arm is mounted to should be like a C?  In other words, the part in the pic below that is red, is actually part of the frame of the trailer these were take off of.  Correct?

Mickey

Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

If you are still considering shock mounts, I just found a set I did not realize I still had. - SOLD to mickeykelley
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 7:12pm
Mickey,

I got these with some other parts quite a while ago so can not confirm but looking at the repops on DLBensingers site it looks like the added angle sheet metal might be to reinforce the mount. It there was additional sheet metal I would believe they would have been cut offs. I think Bantam riveted them but bolting on should also work.

These could have came from an M100 or M416 no not sure if their frames are a little taller in the "C" construction.

Could you trim the open end side enough to fit in the frame?

I think I would want the extra strength of the added metal.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

I need remove part of them as they will not fit between the frame rail and the bottom of the bed.  
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

If you are still considering shock mounts, I just found a set I did not realize I still had. - SOLD to mickeykelley

I think you may be describing the same thing I ran into.  See item #2 in my post above from 19 Dec 2020 to see how I solved it.
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 9:54pm
Yes the "cut" out ou the frame is a very straight and clean cut which leaves me to believe that the extra metal was not part of the frame. But I just wanted to check before I started messing with them. I agree the extra will also provide strength so the only thing that makes sense is that the channel is slightly less.  Since I’m going for durability and real world use, I’m thinking cut/grind it down to fit in the channel.  Thanks for input guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12