Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring cj2a 59108 into mb tribute WWII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 4:47am
great work , I have used that same body filler with great success.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 6:33am
BTW - since you are making an MB clone, you might want to work on welding in an MG mounting plate   of the rear cross beam.  If you go to mount an MG on it, you will find that there is nothing under the center of the jeep body to mount it to.  I am doing that now.  I will take lots of pics, etc., but essentially I had to weld a very heavy metal plate off the rear cross member running it forward and bolting onto the body behind the seats were the back angles down to the front seats.  Then drilled through the body and mounted another large steel plate on top sandwiching the thin floor steel between the heavy steel.  Then you can weld the MG mount to the upper steel plate.  If you want the angled stanchions coming off either side of the mount like the M31 mounts, you will also need to weld small brackets to your side frames to then bolt the stanchions to.  Much easier to work all this out now before you put the body on.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 12:13pm
I have a rear section of a MB frame with the MG mounting plate on,still not decided if I want one or not.

Edited by Gil - 05 Mar. 2017 at 2:28pm
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 12:24pm
I finish painting windshield and underneath the tub.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 12:38pm
beautiful work!  Clap
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

I have a rear section of a MB frame with the MG mounting plate on,still not decided if I want one or not.

Well, NOW is the time to decide.  If you are doing an MB clone, then an MG on top is the crowning glory.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 2:42pm
I decided not to used the mount on this project I have something else in mind to make it different ,will have to wait I see .
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 2:45pm

Edited by Gil - 05 Mar. 2017 at 2:50pm
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 5:30pm
What do you plan on doing with the MG mount?
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2017 at 1:37am
Painted seat frames ,extra gas container and inside tool box. Little more sanding and the tub will be ready for paint.

Edited by Gil - 08 Mar. 2017 at 1:43am
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2017 at 2:03am
Originally posted by 2t2-crash 2t2-crash wrote:

What do you plan on doing with the MG mount?

I don't know yet what to do. I have some practice bombs that I might use for props. I could make some sort of bracket on my rear wheel well and have 2 on each side that I could remove when I need to.Those practice bombs are dated 1944-45 and are 18" long and weigh 11 1/2 pound each. I'm just not decided yet.Might just be next winter. I check and they are safe.

Edited by Gil - 18 Apr. 2017 at 1:25am
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2017 at 4:38am
you know you are getting close when you are in paint
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 1:51am
Finally the the tub is painted, I also painted the gas tank and all gauges.All the painting is pretty much done.Now the fun begins."Assembly". The tub before and after.

Edited by Gil - 14 Mar. 2017 at 2:07am
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 1:56am
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 2:28am
Awesome!
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 2:56am
You are doing some nice work.
I'm a bit biased. My first Jeep was an MB. Another one of those, I never should have sold it tales.
uncamonkey
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 11:12am
Looking good. Question: where is all the mess and paint overspray on your floors? John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 4:20pm
Looks damn good! Also you have convinced me to make the tool cutouts on my CJ.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>