Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring cj2a 59108 into mb tribute WWII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 12:41pm
I'm not here to pick nits but it would have been easier to start with a MB. My first Jeep was a MB and I know them fairly well. There are a few things... The only thing about your stencil, you can only see it if the fender is off so you need to do something on the cover on the floor as that is usually how people get to the MC to fill it.
uncamonkey
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 5:21pm
[QUOTE=Unkamonkey]I'm not here to pick nits but it would have been easier to start with a MB. My first Jeep was a MB and I know them fairly well. There are a few things... The only thing about your stencil, you can only see it if the fender is off so you need to do something on the cover on the floor as that is usually how people get to the MC to fill it.

Yes John it would have been must easier to start with a MB, but where I live there are very very rare and very expensive.The stencil can’t be seen with the fender on from the outside that the way I wanted it to be but I can see it from under the hood. I have also put a stencil on the inside the floor cover. I did not post a picture of it because my stencil was a reused one and it didn’t do a nice job.

1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 6:00pm
Weeel, The MB cost me $500.00. it ran and stopped. times have changed.
uncamonkey
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 3:25am
My little Jeep got a lot of attention this year at the Atlantic National.There was close to 1800 vehicles of all kinds.It’s a week long car show with lots of stuff to do.The Jeep next to mine is a M38 that the guy talk to me about for the last two years at the same car show.He drove it for a year and it broke down.But he couldn’t fix it by himself so I went to look at it and the Jeep needed lots of work.It was a Jeep he bought that had a complete restoration but it wasn’t done right. I helped this guy that I did not know.We worked together on the Jeep and we had to go over the Jeep from one end to the other.We repaired the front end it never had any grease for the kingpin bearings,axle shaft ,had to do some engine work,replace 4 broken valve spring,had the head planed ,electrical was not done right.Windshield wasn’t installed properly.It’s a repo tub.He spent close to $700 in parts to get it back on the road.This year he brought it at the car show for the first time.Now we are good friends.

Edited by Gil - 10 July 2019 at 3:28am
1946 cj2a 59108
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 5:34am
That guy you helped out is very fortunate to have you as a friend. (Anticipate he knows)
Inspirational work - thank you for sharing.  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 10:59am
That's a great story! Thumbs Up  
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 8:44pm
I finally found a GPW.When I was at the car show a guy told me that he seen a old Jeep for sale in the local add.Two weeks before I had found one that the owner was going to think about it and give me a call.It was the same Jeep and the owner had lost my number Shocked.After the car show Saturday night I went back to see if the Jeep was still there.It was still there and he said that there was a lot of interest but nobody showed up.So I bought it right then.The Jeep is all in place because the owner wanted to do a rat rodCry.He had sold everything that he would not use for the rat rod .Like the engine/transmission/transfer case ,combat rims and the windshield.But it’s a 1943 GPW and yes today I have the title to my name Smile.The frame and the rolling chassis are in really good shape,the tub is not that bad compare to my cj2a when I started on it.Hood,fenders,grill,light pots with hinges,front seat frames ,steering column,steering  wheel and two box of small stuff are all in really good shape.The dash has the original serial # plates.Here are pictures when I found it.

The guy I bought it from delivered it for free.Because he was going by my place to pick up some logs with his trailer.Talk about good timing.The GPW in my driveway 

One more Jeep!!!!  I have a good wife.

1946 cj2a 59108
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 9:02pm
Congratulations!

Enjoy your new find and keep us posted with pics.Thumbs Up

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 9:23pm
Nice find !!   

Considering how nice your "tribute" version turned out,   this one promises to be truly amazing.

Edited by JeepFever - 11 July 2019 at 4:09am
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 11:01pm
Rat Rod?? Good thing you came along Gil. Rescue this one too!
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2019 at 3:41am
This GPW is gonna be great, I can see it already!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cablitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cablitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 12:36am
That fortunate M38 owner at the Atlantic Nationals car show is not the only person Gil has helped with their Jeep.

Since mid May Gil has been giving my 1942 Willys MB similar needed rehab and cosmetic treatment.  My initial contact with him came about by following this forum thread and seeing the miracle he performed on his own CJ2A.

The work on my MB is now complete, I have a great running jeep and a new friend in Cap Pele.  Gil, I can't thank you enough for everything you did.  Thumbs Up   Good luck with your new GPW project.  

Brian 

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 2:18am

The work on my MB is now complete, I have a great running jeep and a new friend in Cap Pele.  Gil, I can't thank you enough for everything you did.  Thumbs Up   Good luck with your new GPW project.  

Brian 

Thanks Brian ,I hope you enjoy the rest of the summer with your Jeep.

1946 cj2a 59108
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 3:30pm
I just read back through your whole thread, and WOW!  You helping others with their Jeeps just goes to show it takes a community to restore a Jeep.  I'm hoping I can count on some of the members here as I work on my '46.  Actually two people in your photo already are! LOL  I'd better start my own thread.
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 4:47pm
I not sure your latest purchase is enough of a challenge for you. Should we get a bet going as to how long it takes Giles to finish.Wink
Phil
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 3:16am
Took my Jeep out today for a small drive in my back yard after we had a snow storm Sunday .

1946 cj2a 59108
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 8:52am
Beautiful pics and shades of Bastone (sp).  Your project is inspiring, well done!
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415