Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring cj2a 59108 into mb tribute WWII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 8:29pm
Nice job on the windshield patch and that drain is a good idea, easier to let the water go through than to try andkkeep it out.
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 11:54pm
Looking Good!
Dave
44 Willys MB
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 10:37am
That looks really nice!  So much work for such small piece.  Most people don't appreciate how much time goes into restoration.  I do.  Well done.  Like the socket idea.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 2:22am
I did a little more work on the windshield,did some sandblasting at -10F and I started to patch and plug weld some holes. The piece on the bottom of the patch is the one I made the other day. I will have to do some body work to make it look a little better.I used pieces of bolts to plug holes in frame.

Edited by Gil - 11 Feb. 2017 at 9:45pm
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 3:25am
Man that looks good! I wish I had put mine on a roticerie BS hanging from the rafters... and I wish I had better lighting. LOL
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 11:06am
Most impressive sheetmetal skills. I can only hope mine turns out this good! Keep it up! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 11:58pm
Stupid question: what gauge steel did you use on your floor? I'm using 18g for the body and fender work but I'm debating using thicker steel for the floor.
I still need to measure out and dab the hump for the MG mount.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 12:04am
Your work is impressive. I always look forward to updates.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 1:29am
Originally posted by 2t2-crash 2t2-crash wrote:

Stupid question: what gauge steel did you use on your floor? I'm using 18g for the body and fender work but I'm debating using thicker steel for the floor.
I still need to measure out and dab the hump for the MG mount.

I also used 18 gauge for my body and fenders,but for the floor I know I went at least with 16 gauge because there is no ribs in my floor and when I did my floor riser and hat channels I thick I went with 12 gauge, it's been over 3 years when I did the floor.That the way I did it ,when I started I did not know about this forum. I wish I would have know about this forum 3 1/2 years ago, it would have be really helpful.The main thing is having fun building your jeep.It's a good stress relief

Giles
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 2:34am
Fast forward,this is my rolling chassis .Both rear ends have been strip,sandblasted,epoxy primer ,painted, all bearings, seals ,gaskets, brakes, springs, shocks have all been replaced,rims also have been sandblasted ,epoxy and paint.The rear crossmember is home made ,it's wider on the right side compared to original.This was all done late 2015.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 4:29pm
Nobody would ever guess what you started with. You must of had one hell of a vision. Bright lights, angles coming down through the clouds speaking to you, do it, do it. So impressive with what you started with and its transformation. Waiting for the finished product.
Phil
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 10:49pm
Excellent job Gil, I'm following this thread closely since we're not too far behind you.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Originally posted by 2t2-crash 2t2-crash wrote:

Yeah I just went back and saw it.

Also how are you getting your weld seams to disappear so well?
Lots of grinding ,dollying and body work .For the floor were I had to cover the weld I used a product called Metal 2 Metal it's a metal reinforced body filler.

For sanding in tight inside corners I use a Dremel and for repairing dented wheel well housing ribs I use a plastic putty spreader and I cut it the shape of the rib, it make it easy to spread a light coat of body filler and I don't have much sanding and for my side panels the first coat of body filler I remove it with a 8" DA with 80 grid to bring it straight and the second coat of body filler is a lite coat so I use a sanding block to finish.That the way I did my tub.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 1:47am
Just a little update. I just finish installing the glass in my windshield. I had my glass cut at a local auto glass shop for $20 a piece. I used Gorilla tape for glass setting tape and after the glass was installed tight in the grooves I trim the tape and applied a small bead of auto glass adhesive/sealant to seal around the glass.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 1:21am
I installed my seat covers with foam to see how they would fit before painting the seat frames.The seat frames are M38 modified to fit my tub.To cut the foam I used silicone lube on the knife it make it easier to cut .That bottom seat is the one for the driver side , I will be able to remove it when fuelling .

Edited by Gil - 03 Mar. 2017 at 12:15pm
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 9:00pm
Looking great, keep the photos coming.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 10:40pm
I like your tallent and do it yourself attitude. Good job!  For your info, the WW2 headlight pot hinges install under the top grill ledge, not on top.  The hinge rubs the heck out of the hood and your headlight will be a bit too high. Also, to cut foam like a pro, use a electric  carving knife for roasts and such. The one with opposite moving blades. It's amazing how well it works.  People will not know that isn't a real WW2 Jeep. You aren't afraid to work, and your metal/welding skills are good. Thumbs Up Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 2:06am
Good eye John, I had tried both ways.When I found the grill in the neighbors scrap pile in the wood.The brackets were on top.Thanks again. I will retry the bracket under the top grill ledge .It will probably save a few dent in the hood. Thanks for the positive complement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>