Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring cj2a 59108 into mb tribute WWII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 1:58am
I had my rolling chassis done by late 2015,And before I was on this forum I had rebuild my engine,transmission and transfer case.

Last night I had 4 members of my family to gave me a hand to finally put the tub back on the chassis after 4 years working on it off and on.

Today I was like a kid , I started doing some wiring,fasten the tub to chassis, I was amazed how the bolts aligned with the tub and chassis.I had the engine running about 6 months ago,had it at temp,set timing and adjusted carb ,oil pressure at idle is 40psi.Looking good to having it on the road this summer.

Edited by Gil - 07 Apr. 2017 at 2:01am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 11:08am
Wow, What a fantastic job!  
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 11:45am
Giles - I've followed this thread for months, getting more and more excited as it progressed. I said nothing when you chose to vacation in Florida or to go to your cabin instead of working on the jeep (and thus deprived me of my fix) LOL

Now it's getting really close, I have one question though: what time do we need to be there for the test drive?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 12:23pm
Wow... you want to pick your jaw off the floor, catch this thread at the beginning and then check back in now, lol.  I'm generally not a fan of clones, but the quality of work and the dedication is top notch!  THAT is one lucky little jeep to have you be the one to find it-
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 10:24pm
Finally I downloaded the video of my engine running.

https://youtu.be/IjBCqjDYDWE
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 10:26pm
looks amazing and sounds great!
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 1:13am
OUTSTANDING!

Have you given thought to bumper numbers?
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 1:18am
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

OUTSTANDING!

Have you given thought to bumper numbers?

Thanks for the comments guys.
I 'm still not decided on what numbers to use .

Edited by Gil - 08 Apr. 2017 at 1:33pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 5:35am
When you're done (mostly...) get pics so you can have "Before" and "After" handy wherever you go.  People will be amazed!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 2:23am
Still painting some pieces,roof bow,transmission tunnel cover and small pieces. I used over 2 gallons of paint on this project.

Edited by Gil - 18 Apr. 2017 at 1:14am
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 12:17am
I rebuilt my brake and clutch pedals with the wire feed.

Edited by Gil - 18 Apr. 2017 at 12:26am
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 12:52am
Hey, that's cheatin! ;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 2:36am
They're Ford pedals.  That ain't right.  Wacko
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 3:22am
hey Giles being a Canadian I think your star is on upside down
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 11:03pm
All I got to say ingenuity, vision, workmanship, problem solving, and WOW that looks great. Nice work
Phil 
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 12:50am
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

hey Giles being a Canadian I think your star is on upside down
Good eye Andy,my son Patrick told me about that but I forgot when I painted it on... Might be next winters project to change it but I think both ways are accepted... Found this in the Canadian army markings: "By June 1944, all Allied vehicles going into Northwest Europe were to have the five pointed American star painted on them instead. These stars sometimes had a circle, either broken or unbroken, painted around them as well. Canadian units often painted the star on crooked in order to differentiate themselves from American units."
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

They're Ford pedals.  That ain't right.  Wacko

Thanks Mike I did not know they were gpw pedals,they came from parts I bought from my neighbor.The pedals are cast and there's a number on the back of the pedals #639257 on both and the shaft have two slots.

Edited by Gil - 22 Apr. 2017 at 12:57pm
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 2:15am
Originally posted by a4cj2a77 a4cj2a77 wrote:

All I got to say ingenuity, vision, workmanship, problem solving, and WOW that looks great. Nice work
Phil 

Thanks for the comments Phil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>