Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hobart welder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hobart welder
    Posted: 08 Nov. 2016 at 7:34am
My brother just picked up a old Hobart welder on a trailer today that has a willys L134 motor and has a metal tag on the motor that even says cj2a.

Anyone know what size wheels and bolt pattern these have? I brought a cj2a wheel for a spare to get it home but the bolt patter looks smaller than my 5 on 5.5.

It looks more like a 5 on 4.5 but I'm just guessing, and it has a small center hole for the hub

The owner said it hasn't been used in a couple years, but looking at it I'm guessing that's more like 15-20 years. Pretty rough shape but engine is not seized, and looks easy to get it running. The welder cables are 6 inch piece attached still. The gas smells the worst old gas I've smelled and the fuel line was some kind of cloth that broke when we touched it. No battery. Large Hole in radiator that may leak in the fins impaled?

12v external resistor coil
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2016 at 12:58pm
Hobart bought Willys motors for their Welders just like Onan bought them for their generators. The only thing Willys about them are the engines. Honestly, the value is in the engine. The rest of it, unless it is in great shape has little value. Getting it all back together and looking sharp what have you got? A welder. With a free spinning Willys motor that probably has low hours on it.......now you got something for a CJ2A project.
I'm no expert but I had an Onan generator with a Willys MB motor in it. The generator had asbestos in it, it needed the expertise of a generator guy to get it all back together......again, in the end what would I have? No one is going to be trying to take that off my hands.....the MB engine was the real value.
Keep the engine and the trailer.Ouch
Sorry for my sad assessment....hopefully I'm wrong and others will say you have a neat bit of history.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
 Post Reply Post Reply