Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project Zupan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project Zupan
    Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 9:11pm
This is going to be fun. I have owned many Jeeps in the past this is my first CJ.

Here is my plan right now for the path I will take with Zupan...

Semi restoration, body off frame, I do have a running orginal motor for it. New brakes and have fun.

I am excited to get this going, This Story will be pictures to the max, so sit back, realx and give me your vision on what to do with this gem.

Edited by Skinny - 28 Jan. 2017 at 5:44am
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 9:15pm
Welcome!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 9:54pm
I'm not going to vote 1,2 or 3... which way you go is up to where you want to end up.  It looks like you have a solid base to start with!

What's the significance of the "ZUPAN"?

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Skinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 10:03pm
It was stenciled on the side. Kind of ironic but it means garment in polish, my wife is 1/2 pollock. I'm 6'6" tall so the Jeep is pretty much a garment on me when I'm in it.

From what I have been told it was a plow jeep in canon city for all of its life. It was owned by a a family of that name.
glenwiley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenwiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 10:29pm
The metal looks to be in great shape.  My vote is to paint it and secure it from rust then get it running as soon as you can.
1947 CJ2A
USAR Signal Corps 1987-1995

http://fenster.gwiley.com/jeep
Skinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 2:22pm
Made m first panel Yesterday, a few more to make and the body will be presentable.

I watched Metalshapers video on youtube. Yeah sure the wood for the buck cost more than a premade piece, but I made it and that is all that matters.

Today I hope to Make the tailight panels.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 2:50pm
I just gotta say it... making your own panels is going above and beyond.  Will be humbly following...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Skinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 3:20pm
Here it is Sitting in place.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 4:58pm
Nice work on the sheet metal.  That is a great looking 3A.

As for what direction to go with it -  If you have never wheeled a stock flat fender you might really enjoy putting it back as close to stock as you can stand.  Brakes are a great up grade.  Springs seem to be popular. I am a big fan of the PTO winches and adding traction control of some type.  These old Jeeps are remarkable little machines and surprisingly capable.

The most import thing is enjoying it along the way and not destroying it.  When I see excessive modification I often think – Man, why didn't the guy just build a rail buggy and add a Willy's grill.

The WW1 BAR magazine box mounted to the back of the windshield is an interesting touch.  I have one mounted to the floor next to the passenger seat on the top of the tool box.  I store a First Aid Kit and some tools in it.  It is handy.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 12 Jan. 2017 at 5:23pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 5:28pm
Are you selling the L-134?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Skinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 6:42pm
I have decided to do just that Stev, stock but reliable,   front disks and maybe a manual Saginaw box.

Also looking into dodge durango leaf springs, has anyone seen a guy use them? 54" long with a 10" offset. Might have to remove two leafs to get the rate correct, and extend the front frame horns 2". Pull-a-part charges $15 per spring, might be worth the experiment.

Body work and paint.

I'll run it until it dies then do a fuel injection engine.

That said...the 134 is not for sale.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 7:04pm
Sounds like a great plan.  

I have wheeled a standard Ross steering box for years with no issues.  I have a manual Saginaw box on a 3A project now that I am going to remove.  It is in the way of the yet be installed PTO Winch.  Going back to a Ross box. 

The other thing to consider / plan is skid plates / trail armor. 

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2017 at 8:55pm
Skid plates are a must for wheeling. I can't count the number of rocks, logs, etc my Jeep has endured.

As for body armour: I believe they do more harm than good. Yes they help scratchs, but a hard hit will dent the body anyways. Not to mention the rust that forms behind them and the excessive mounting holes.
Skinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2017 at 12:37am
So I got the rear taillight panels removed. Was the rear cross member/bumper longer on the driver side for the license plate? Or do I have something funky going on?

I also remade the panel I made yesterday. Much better the second go around, the first one was about 3/16" short on height.

I also stuck it rich...there's gold in this there Willys!!!

Hahahahahahaha...JK
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2017 at 8:39am
Yes, the rear crossmember is longer on the driver's side. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Skinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2017 at 2:51am
Well I thought it would be a good idea to gut my kitchen as well so things slowed down on the 3A.   

I got the rear tail light panels tail light panels made today...they turned out really good

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2017 at 7:51am
Great progress! Clap  Do you really need a kitchen right now? LOLWink
Skinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 5:57pm
Got some stuff done this past week...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>