Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017 - Event Date: 19 July 2017 - 23 July 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Grumpy1 Grumpy1 wrote:

Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

I am in Carbondale CO. Jeep has developed a rod knock and oil pressure low. Anyone have a set of rod bearings they can bring to camp? Local NAPA may not be able to get them before I leave.

Glen, you didn't let that Swede work on your jeep at BHR did you? That guy could break an anvil with a rubber hammer. 
I'm not going to be at camp till Thursday afternoon if you need anything let me know.

Keith 

Mean!, just plain mean

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 12:45pm
Geez Glen, pick an easy-to-repair malfunction why don't ya!  I know, you didn't pick it, it picked you.  Well with the mechanical talents of all the folks who will be there, I'm sure that if the right part is there, you'll get fixed. 

Just trying to think into anything else that may make the task easier in the backwoods repair yard.  Do you need any manuals?  How about a tarp to lay out on the ground under the Jeep?  Magnetic parts tray?  Some work lights?  A drill with wire brushes?  Waste oil containers?  Drip pans?  Paper towels or shop rags?  Safety glasses?  9 mil shop gloves?  Permatex?  Extra lawn chairs so we can watch you work?   What ever you want/need, just let us know and we can bring it.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 4:10pm
I played around a little more yesterday and found that killing one cylinder at a time made no real difference in knock. Starting to think it may be a main going. Not a field repair that I will attempt. I poured some STP in this morning and went for a short ride. Maintained 40 psi in overdrive doing 45-50 mph with no noticrable noise. Very slight knock when revving up from idle. So will give it a shot, if it gets worse I will park and hopefully Howard and I can find an empty seat to tag along with. 😀 Thank you to everyone for their offers to bring supplies and parts. 
Glen
49 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 6:51pm
Hey Glen, check your front pulley nut. My 3B developed a knock one time while hunting, and I would have sworn it was a rod knock. Tightened the pulley nut and the noise went away. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Hey Glen, check your front pulley nut. My 3B developed a knock one time while hunting, and I would have sworn it was a rod knock. Tightened the pulley nut and the noise went away. BW

That would allow crank endfloat allright. Good tip Bruce. Movement on the key also could knock. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 8:27pm
Will do, wouldn't account for the oil pressure loss but worth a try. 
Glen
49 CJ3A
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:00pm
Glen: I pass lots of shops every day to and from work on my long Denver Commute. napa, oriley, autozone, carquest...Oriley is actually pretty good at low volume parts. Somehow, they can always get what I need. I will be able to pick up parts as late as Wednesday too.

2 years ago, I almost missed the FCT while I chased the tragic knock in the Studebaker. 3 times I set the crankshaft end play. Found the loose wrist pin bolt, checked/adjusted all the valves. Went for it anyway. By the time I got to Mike's after the flat out highway run from the campground, Oilleaker was unable to find a problem to fix. *shrugs* I found a Studebaker TSB about "Customer complains of clunking noise from engine." Studebaker shrugged it off and called it "an engine harmonic" and told 'em to drive on. My engine still sounds just as terminal. I've kinda given up on fixing the clunking! It could be just plain worn out.

Bruce's trips are not easy, but there isn't much high speed/high RPM pavement pounding.
The can of STP (Studebaker Tested Products) might be all it takes to have a fun weekend. I'll bring 3 more cans. (I'll probably need 2 of 'em!)

I'll have an empty seat. You are welcome to it if things get worse.

Lemme know if I can pickup/bring parts from anywhere 'round Denver by Wednesday.

Remember the year Mike needed an unobtainable Pinto water pump and 3 showed up? Mine came from O-Riley's.

Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 9:07pm
Had a similar knock when accelerating off idle.  (Rachel's Willys.)  I needed to advance the timing a bit? Maybe the springs in your distributor are getting tired? Just tossing additional ideas.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 12:25am
Is you motor a gear or chain timing?   Worn chain and sprockets can sound like a rod knock.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 12:47am
knock comes with drop in oil pressure. When cold oil pressure is great. The longer I run it / the hotter it gets the oil pressure starts dropping and the knock becomes more pronounced. The loss of pressure tells me I have clearance issues on one or more bearings, the knocking noise I think confirms this. The STP is only a bandaid.  Hopefully I can baby it through the week and look into it more when I get home. Thanks again for everyone's issues. 
Glen
49 CJ3A
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 1:08am
Stude, I agree. Oreillies is my go-to shop. I called them first, and they have to drop ship from the factory at $95+freight. Order them direct from Sealed Power and it $65.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 8:05pm
Awful quiet here! All you travelers be safe, I expect some of ya are near or in camp already. I'm all Jelloness!! Muley..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 5:34am
loaded up. Ready to hitch and go early tomorrow am.

Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 2:38pm
I'm jealous!  Wish I could have made it out.  But my last minute decision to not go turned out to be a bit of a miracle.  Had to take Elaine to hospital.  She's doing well,  I'm just glad it worked out this way. 
Be safe and have fun! 
John
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 3:15am
Well, day 1 is over. , its hot, ears are probably ringing from gunfire, big grins from the days Jeeping trip and they are most likely drinking an ice cold beverage ..... lucky ba$tards

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 6:34am
yeah, I'm pretty jealous, too, Lee.  Maybe next yearErmm
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

yeah, I'm pretty jealous, too, Lee.  Maybe next yearErmm

Yes Sir!, and perhaps the year after

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 1:10pm
It is very isolated out there (and quite liberating),so I doubt you will get any reports till after the run is over..... that is if a moose doesn't step on them Shocked
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>