Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run July 19-23, 2017 - Event Date: 19 July 2017 - 23 July 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

..... that is if a moose doesn't step on them Shocked

Yeah, I was thinking about that this morning.  I wonder if Rudy is sleeping on the ground this year.  lol
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 2:47pm
We had a camp counselor sleeping outside in Boulder County a couple weeks ago who woke up to a crunching sound. A bear had his head in its mouth and was dragging him across the ground.
BOULDER 48 2A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 1:22am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

It is very isolated out there (and quite liberating),so I doubt you will get any reports till after the run is over..... that is if a moose doesn't step on them Shocked

I'm aware or the remote area of operations ..... Just keeping the tread alive till they return to a settlement Perhaps they will have bear meat in the rock stew!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 3:45pm
we are alive!

I am glad I made it this year!

Studebaker won't start first thing in the morning.
Glen parked Red Willy yesterday.

Otherwise we're doing great!

Well I better walk back down the mt!
Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 5:02pm
Glad for any updates we can get, Thanks Sir Rudy!!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 3:23pm

Thanks EVERYONE! 

Thank you everyone for all the help with things from tugging the Studebaker to life in the morning, to letting me borrow a pitcher for beer margaritas and 1000 things in-between. 

Bruce and Tiny's trail knowledge and flexibility in planning made every trip an adventure. 

This trip is everything you want on a vacation. Great food, friends, stars and time on the trail with the indomitable Willys jeeps!

Here are a few pictures from the event. I'm afraid I don't have many.

I'll work on a couple of videos later on too.

Friday lunch break

http://www.ultraimg.com/image/GiN1

Lost? Nah.

http://www.ultraimg.com/image/Gif6

Desolation intersection:

http://www.ultraimg.com/image/GiNS

Thursday afternoon, my willys out looking longingly for kin.

http://www.ultraimg.com/image/GiNp

I haven't figured out how to make them all right side up. *shrugs*

I did sleep on the ground when it wasn't raining. I tried to set up a tent. It blew down. Tents suck. I do need to figure out a mosquito net for my bivy sack...

Edited by stude-a-willys - 24 July 2017 at 3:45pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 3:38pm
A good, sturdy, but not perfect map of the area.
I'm not affiliated with the seller, blah blah blah.  I bought mine at the Army/Navy Surplus store in Denver for $9.

aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:41pm
Thanks for the update, Stude!  So where all did you guys go?  How was your weather?  Did everybody fare well?  I hope no major issues with Red Willy.  Sure would have liked to join you.

I've spent a lot of nights in a bivy sack...you know you can get them fully outfitted with mosquito netting, right?  I'm almost worthless when I can't sleep.  Will keep checking in for those videos!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 5:18pm
We made it home late Sunday afternoon after a great week of jeeping.  Thanks Bruce for setting up some fun runs - creek crossings, log hauling, rock bouncing, dust raising, shade seeking, breeze making runs!   And for another great pot, or two, of rock stew!  The afternoon thunderstorms were just the excuse we needed to gather under the big tarp and enjoy some HBR's, beers, wines, and whiskey's.  Hey Tiny, how many HBR's was that you had??  Tiny likes HBR's, a LOT!! 

Too bad we didn't get any shooting in.  The thunderstorms each afternoon kept us under cover, and it was fun just to sit and visit while watching mother natures light show.   The new camp site turned out to be a great site to use.  It had plenty of flat ground for everyone to pitch a tent or park a trailer.  And the rain just soaked right in, no puddles to deal with.  Only problem was it was tough digging the outhouse hole.  But we got it done. 

Next year somebody's got to bring a chainsaw.  Wednesday's ride was a great exercise in Jeep-Logging.  Bruce must have pulled two dozen logs out of the trail, and who knows how many limbs and tops got cut and tossed to open up our route through the forest.   All that work just to find out that sometimes the trails don't connect when there's a swamp in between them.  But we had a good time dodging tree limbs, driving up and down steep hillsides, and weaving our way through the forest. 

Cell phone signal was zip in camp.  Steve did hike up to a nearby hill top and did get a signal up there, but the rest of us were content to live without our text messages for the week.  We had 12 jeeps show up for the rides over the week. Poor Lew and Frankie showed up by Jeep on Friday evening because their truck broke down about 25 miles from camp.  I went with them that evening back to the truck, and we used my truck to tow their trailer up to camp.  Then they spent Saturday morning rounding up parts to fix their truck and brought it up to camp.  They got in a short run near camp that afternoon while the rest of us were out wading through water and raising dust deep in the forest. 

It really was sweet to be so far out in the forest that we couldn't use our phones.  Our site provided a great view to the west so we could watch the thunder storms approach, and see some beautiful sunsets as well.  I'm already looking forward to doing it again next year. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 5:44pm
I second Mikes comments.  Bruce, you were a great trail leader as usual.  Rock stew was perfect as proven by the volume consumed!  
A huge thanks to Mike for towing our camper for all those miles of washboard!  And a giant thanks to Steven for loaning his JK for our parts run.  All was well once the truck was fixed and we were bouncing down the trails in our jeep.  I even got Frankie diving off road for a while.  She was nervous at first but started to enjoy life behind the wheel.
Good folks, good food, good weather all added up to a great time!
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 5:47pm
I have to say it again as the Willys folks are the best.  Mike towing our trailer and Rudy loaning his JK was awesome.  Huge thanks!
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:11pm
Life without a phone? Most of the last calls to me are from people trying to sell me a FL cruise. Obviously it went to voice mail and they are trying to ask me questions. Stupid robot calls.
At least it seems that everybody had a good time.
uncamonkey
Tiny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 7:12pm
to many but I  wanted more.
48CJ2A
Tiny
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 8:31pm
Howard and I drove straight through and arrived home 0600 Sunday morning. Thanks to Bruce and everyone else who made this a memorable trip. 

Howard had never done anything close to this before and really enjoyed himself. He commented more than once, "what a great group of people". I couldn't agree more.

Many thanks to Keith and Rudy for providing rides for Howard and I after I decided to park Red Willy. 
I will start tearing into it tonight and hope to have it running in time to head back to Colorado in three weeks.

Thanks again to everyone

Glen
Glen
49 CJ3A
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 8:53pm
Had a great time, thanks Bruce for a great run, wish I could've made all of it. Thanks to Tiny for the entertainment, (not sure he'll remember) Next year maybe Bruce will find a remote place for the camp. Didn't see any bears this year.Thumbs Up
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:16pm
I got home about Noon, no problems (well, one little one, I hit a knocked-over traffic cone on Sherman Hill and bent a trailer fender [damn Prime "driver" wouldn't give me any room]), and Oilly & Carol were doing well when we split up in Laramie. I already wish I had stayed up there. Laramie was decent, Cheyenne was hot, and it was 95* here already at noon. Last time I checked - 98.9*. I have unloaded everything that HAD to be unloaded, the rest can wait until this evening or in the morning.
  We had some days up there that had us hunting shade, but once in the shade it was pleasant. Afternoon cloud shade, breezes, and thunder showers kept things cool during what would normally be the hottest part of the day.
  Where did we go, Tom? Bull Mountain, Honholz Lakes, Old Roach, Eaton Reservoir, Boulder Ridge, Pratt Creek, Oilly's Hill, Green Mountain, a trail with no name I can find, Sand Creek, Top-o-the-World, Acme Creek, Cornelius Creek, George Creek, Bear Gulch, a CCC or lumber Camp and their tin-can dump, part of the old Overland Stage Road, McGreevey Meadows, and Trout Creek, just to name a few, most of them I'll bet you know. For those who don't recognize those names, Rudy's map will show you most of them.
  I want to thank everyone who came and made it a great time. It would not have been near as much fun without any and/or all of you. Even one of you would have been missed. And YES, Kate, we missed you, as we did Hawky and Jonnygeep. All of your names were spoken more than once. But, again, to all of those who came and contributed something (everyone, and I'm not talking about the stew [which was, by the way, a great success]) YOU are what made it a great time, and I THANK YOU!   BW

Edited by Bruce W - 24 July 2017 at 9:19pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:10am
Linda and I left Joe and Lisa after a great lunch at an authentic western bar/restaurant just west of Cheyenne. We made it home around 7:15 Sunday evening.
Many thanks to Bruce for letting us follow him through some great areas. I think Linda took around 500 photos!!
RRLo is still resting as of tonight and keeping off his feet.
We all sure had a great time getting to know the rest of the tribe that was there and are looking forward to our next chance to get together!!
Thanks to one and all!!
John, Linda & RRLo 
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:58am
Made it home at 4 PM today. 104 degrees at my place. As I pulled off the Interstate and came to a stop, 2 miles from my home, my hydraulic clutch would not work. Had to shut down, start it in gear and shift with no clutch to limp in. Made it fine, we'll see if cooling down restores the clutch. 

Thanks to Bruce "BW" for a great set of trails. Carol and I loved them all. A great bunch of people as we all know from past events were there. My phone barley received texts, and was always looking for a signal. Airplane mode allowed picture taking, but I just enjoyed driving my CJ2A and left the phone in the camper. Pure back woods experience that way. 

The evening chats and refreshments were fantastic as all chipped in for Turkey night ( Thanks  Wrongway John & Linda) and Stone soup the next night. Yum!

We traveled up to Laramie with BW as we departed and when it was time to say good bye-------I thought no, it's not good bye a new slogan:     "Until We Jeep Again"!!! Thumbs Up
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>