Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Jeep Disk Conversion for $250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Willys Jeep Disk Conversion for $250
    Posted: 17 Dec. 2022 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the link. 
Great write up!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Triton28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triton28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2022 at 11:06am
I found that the wheels listed in this work!Check out this write up!
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2022 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Alpine Alpine wrote:

I put a spacer on and still have an issue (but there is less scraping) with the rim touching the caliper. I went back a looked at other calipers, and it might just be the caliper itself. The housing for the caliper bolts (not the bracket that holds the caliper) is what is hitting the rim. See pic and let me know your thoughts. I want to make sure I am seeing this correctly. 

What I have:

If the housing was shorter or just slightly more toward the center of the wheel there would not be any scraping. Can some people post pics of their calipers looking straight at them from the side and what brand they used. Trying to compare them online at rockauto is difficult.  I dont need much space but there has to be a difference in brands. 

I might be totally wrong but is your rotor connected to the hub like the old drums were?  My rotors slide over the studs on the hub like a new vehicle. If so maybe that could be a problem?  

Never mind I saw that you put a spacer on.

Edited by 67charger - 16 Dec. 2022 at 6:31pm
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2022 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Ryan_289 Ryan_289 wrote:

Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

No problem. I converted my jeep to the geo tracker fronts and cj5 drum back and that jeep will stop on a dime now.

67charger, are your CJ5 rear drums 10" or 11"?

Also, does anyone know if the Chevy conversion works with the offset flanged dana 44 rear from a 70-71 CJ5?  Brennan says that his tracker conversion will not work with that axle.

It's been awhile never noticed this post but they were 11 inch drums.
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2022 at 3:37pm
I put a spacer on and still have an issue (but there is less scraping) with the rim touching the caliper. I went back a looked at other calipers, and it might just be the caliper itself. The housing for the caliper bolts (not the bracket that holds the caliper) is what is hitting the rim. See pic and let me know your thoughts. I want to make sure I am seeing this correctly. 

What I have:

If the housing was shorter or just slightly more toward the center of the wheel there would not be any scraping. Can some people post pics of their calipers looking straight at them from the side and what brand they used. Trying to compare them online at rockauto is difficult.  I dont need much space but there has to be a difference in brands. 
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2022 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

When I did the early work on this conversion many years ago, I only had KW Wheels (Kelsey Hayes).  It looks like you have a Motor Wheel in your first photo.  Willys shipped Cj2a's with a mix if the two manufactures.

I have never bolted up a Motor Wheel.  I think, I have one on hand and will see if it drags on my 1946.

Also, I designed this conversion with a 3/8" plate to hold the caliper (I was worried and still am of using a thin plate that might bend during braking since the Japanese donor vehicles had a forged plate).  I understand that plates are available on the internet that are 1/4" thick that hold the calipers.  Where I am going with this is - There is a spacer that is used to center the caliper over the rotor.  The spacer is between the plate and the caliper.  If by chance you have a spacer that is too thick it will push the caliper into the wheel.

Another thing some people using other set ups do is to grid a little off of the caliper casting - IDK if that would fix your issue.

I will check to see if I have a Motor Wheel on hand.

Stev 

Just a note. I now have over a thousand of these conversions out the door over the last few years, with more than a decade on the first conversion I did for my personal flatty, I have never had single one come back with a structural issue from using 1/4" steel for the main adapter bracket. That has included an large range of tire sizes along with assisted and manual systems ( and both solid and vented rotors ). That is a lot of data points and confirms the initial engineering I did when developing my conversion parts. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 12:56pm

The hub studs (these are longer that the stock studs by 3/8 of an inch to accommodate the thickness of the brake disk):·        Napa Part Number 641-1112

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 11:34am
I did need to use longer studs with my setup. I used whatever 1/2” studs they had in stock at the local NAPA. I wound up having to thread them down a little farther as the shoulders were also longer.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 10:46am
I have only done the front.  My setup is just the bracket from Brennans then the hub.  The calipers ar AC Delco (dont think they are any different than the others). I'll try to make sure everything is where it needs to be and get a couple of pictures of the brake setup.  I may just need to add Brennans spacer but that means another set of longer studs and pulling the hub again. 
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 10:18am
I did need to even out the shim packs, and shave the spacers a bit, on my original Dana 41 to get the 
rotors to center up in the calipers correctly. I could see how a rear axle with nearly all the shims on one side, (like my was), might result in this sort of issue. Do you have this problem at the front and rear?
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 9:50am
When I did the early work on this conversion many years ago, I only had KW Wheels (Kelsey Hayes).  It looks like you have a Motor Wheel in your first photo.  Willys shipped Cj2a's with a mix if the two manufactures.

I have never bolted up a Motor Wheel.  I think, I have one on hand and will see if it drags on my 1946.

Also, I designed this conversion with a 3/8" plate to hold the caliper (I was worried and still am of using a thin plate that might bend during braking since the Japanese donor vehicles had a forged plate).  I understand that plates are available on the internet that are 1/4" thick that hold the calipers.  Where I am going with this is - There is a spacer that is used to center the caliper over the rotor.  The spacer is between the plate and the caliper.  If by chance you have a spacer that is too thick it will push the caliper into the wheel.

Another thing some people using other set ups do is to grid a little off of the caliper casting - IDK if that would fix your issue.

I will check to see if I have a Motor Wheel on hand.

Stev 

Edited by Stev - 07 Dec. 2022 at 9:52am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2022 at 9:42am
There is definitely something a little different in your installation. My Cardone brand Geo Tracker calipers are inside of that part of the rim by at least 1/4"
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2022 at 3:51pm
The section of the wheel where the gaps are, are basically bent in or downward and those sections scrape the caliper when I try to rotate the wheel. You can see below exactly where the caliper scrapes the wheel, its like that all the way around. Brennans plates are clocked at 10 and 2 but I dont think their position would have any effect on the rubbing unless I did something completely wrong.   

Edited by Alpine - 06 Dec. 2022 at 7:35pm
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2022 at 3:07pm
I used Brenen's plates and geo-Tracker calipers and rotors and they work fine with all of my 4.5-16 and 5-16 rims, and the geotracker rims I use for my snow tires. What exactly is causing the interference in your setup? Also, how do you have the plates "clocked"?

Edited by BD1 - 06 Dec. 2022 at 3:09pm
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2022 at 1:18pm
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but was there ever any definite determination on which wheels work with the conversion? I have 16" wheels (see pic) and thought they would work based on what I read but they don't. Is there another 16" wheel that seems to work on a regular basis.  I did the geo tracker conversion and assume there is not any difference in calipers that would make one brand fit better than another. I guess I will have to do wheel spacers but there is good and bad to that idea too. 

Triton28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triton28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 7:16pm
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

No problem. I converted my jeep to the geo tracker fronts and cj5 drum back and that jeep will stop on a dime now.

67charger, are your CJ5 rear drums 10" or 11"?

Also, does anyone know if the Chevy conversion works with the offset flanged dana 44 rear from a 70-71 CJ5?  Brennan says that his tracker conversion will not work with that axle.
JGibbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 4:32am
Nick,

Was curious where you got the caliper bracket. I couldn’t find any from the auto parts store. I did find some on eBay but not sure if they are the same. 

Thanks for the awesome info. Saved some money!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>