Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Jeep Disk Conversion for $250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 1:08pm
Napa has a fitting that goes from 10 mms to 3/16 flare for the conversion. It's only a couple of bucks and maybe 1/2" long. I don't have the part number but the fitting is common. I'm also using the stock passenger side flex lines off a geo tracker, they are 20 inches long.

I thinks it's 10 mm to 1/8th inch adapter!

Edited by 67charger - 02 Apr. 2017 at 1:16pm
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 4:06pm
I'm still trying to get understanding of the back plate for the Geo Tracker conversion.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 5:20pm
These are images from Metcalf's jeep. He designed this system.

Ignore the round spacer inboard of the plate in this picture. It has nothing to do with the brake conversion. instead, check out the adapter plate and the hub. The plate is bolted where the drum backing plate used to be:

Rear:

Front:

Rear assembled - the caliper bracket  bolts directly to the outer two holes you see in the above pictures. The rotor slips over the wheel studs:

Does that help?
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 3:17am

Here is the brake line adapter.

Edited by 67charger - 03 Apr. 2017 at 3:24am
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 3:30am
67Charger - you painted the black  power-coated plates green.  Nice!  Is the photo of your CJ or is this on the MB?

Edited by Stev - 03 Apr. 2017 at 3:32am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 4:11am
It's the cj/mb. The axle is green so I had to paint them haha.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 4:57am
Yes this helps in understanding, but how do you get a plate?

Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

These are images from Metcalf's jeep. He designed this system.

Ignore the round spacer inboard of the plate in this picture. It has nothing to do with the brake conversion. instead, check out the adapter plate and the hub. The plate is bolted where the drum backing plate used to be:

Rear:

Front:

Rear assembled - the caliper bracket  bolts directly to the outer two holes you see in the above pictures. The rotor slips over the wheel studs:

Does that help?
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 6:03am
PM Stev. He had a batch made and I picked up a pair of them from him. Hopefully he'll still have a couple down the road when I'm ready to do the rear axle.

Thanks 67charger. I'll look into the brake lines too. Maybe we can work with Stev to put a complete parts list. I picked up the bolts from the list on page 1 for a local shop for under $9, though I still need the wheel studs.

I'm planning on retaining left hand thread on the driver's side, so I'll need to do a bit of research to get a LH thread part number.

I'll post here when I have it.

Nick_, my apologies for the hijacking of your thread. Does your parts list cover all the stuff needed for the 'big disk' conversion, or are there other small parts that are needed?

What do you think of posting complete parts lists for both conversions here? That would cover two very effective 'all bolts' disk brake conversions, each with it's strong points: One is a bit less expensive, but the other is stout as hell.

Edited by LesBerg - 03 Apr. 2017 at 6:09am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 6:16am
Hey no problem! I'm all for helping the community with a few detailed choices on brake systems. I think a master page is good for showing each setup, along with a description of additional pieces such as a proportioning valve if necessary. I can update the first post.

As for my conversion list: it is complete minus longer studs and the rubber brake lines to the caliper. These replace the metal "S" lines on the knuckles.

Checking out the junkyard is great for parts. However on the caliper, I would suggest using that as a core while buying a reman. Better safe than sorry going this far.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 2:56pm
If going that far a posted template of the caliper bracket would complete the package. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 10:11pm
True, but that would be metcalf's call. He has a standing ban on making it on a commercial level, which I agree with, so I wouldn't be surprised if he said no to posting it.

Maybe if we had a 'members only' download section where you have to agree that you won't use any posted part designs 'for profit', or however our model works with people making top bows, canvas tops, and brake adapters.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2017 at 1:53am
Les,

I listed all this on page one of the post,  Here it is again - 

Disk Brake Conversion for a Dana 25 using Geo Tracker parts:

Willys Stock CJ2A Wheel Disk Brake Conversion (combat rims would require a spacer to deal with the bolts in the combat rim).

This conversion is for a DANA 25 front axle.  It was done in conjunction with a dual master cylinder conversion.   The rear brakes remain as stock 9 inch drum brakes with 1 inch wheel cylinders.  A proportioning valve was used on this conversion. 

Parts required are from a Geo Tracker (1989 to 1998) L4 1.6L 1588cc two Door:

·         Calipers 2 each with mounting brackets

·         Rotors 2 each – solid non vented

·         Brake pads 

Tire bolts / studs (these are longer that the stock studs by 3/8 of an inch to accommodate the thickness of the brake disk):

·         Napa Part Number 641-1112

Metric bolts to mount the caliper mounting brackets to the backing plates:

·         Menards - HXCAP SW12MM-1.25X30MM M 2026862

·         Menards- HEX NUT 12mm 2026846

·         Menards- 3/8 “ Lock Washer 2326024

Spinal to steering knuckle bolts – These bolts are longer than stock because they have to capture the spindle and flat bracket that the caliper mounting brackets attach too.

·         Menards- HEX-CAP 3/8-24X1-1/4 GR 2028008 12each

Custom brake lines:

Ohio Hydraulics (2 each brake line assemblies) with these components:

·         1/8 SST Brake Hose Clear HFB09 (17” front and 12” Rear)

·         Banjo 10 x 10MM HFIF01

·         Female 3/8 x 24 19MM BQ251-SV

·         Braided Hoes Insert/Silver

Brake Line bolts:

·         Ohio Hydraulics (2 each) BQ1016 Banjo Bolt 10 x 1.0 x22mm

·         Ohio Hydraulics (2 each) BQ1016 H/D Copper washer 10mm

Bracket Conversion:

·         3/8 inch steel plate (2 each) flat stock to mount the calipers (I have a drawing and several sets of laser cut plates if you are serious about doing this conversion.  I can also send you a drawing if you need a pattern).

Stev
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2017 at 2:48am
I saw. For some reason I was thinking that there were a few small pieces missing. looking it over again I can see I'm wrong. Embarrassed
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2017 at 3:10am
Actually there are a few 3/8" flat washers that are needed.  I put a washer between the backing plate and the caliper mount.

Edited by Stev - 04 Apr. 2017 at 3:18am
Stev
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2017 at 5:54am
noted. I'll verify if I need it

1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 9:27pm
Swaged lug on left and press in on right.

The way I removed my swaged lugs was by grindingthe backs off in the drum then knocking them through with a punch. You can also hole saw the shoulder off and punch back down.

If you buy the Geo tracker lines you can route them this way.

Edited by 67charger - 08 Apr. 2017 at 5:41pm
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 11:21pm
Conversion done.

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 1:25am
How much does the Geo Tracker break line cost?  Might be the way to go over having them made up from scratch.
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>