Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Jeep Disk Conversion for $250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 1:38am
Nice!

I also learned that except for the bolt on the banjo fitting, the 10mm  and 3/8 banjo fitting is the same beast.

With that in mind, a quick troll on Summit Racing produced this:

A Dorman 11" brake line with a 3/8" banjo and 3/8-24 inverted flare for $9.97

I've found them up to 16" for under $10 at Summit.

Locally, the Tracker brake lines cost about $30 each.

Edited by LesBerg - 09 Apr. 2017 at 1:40am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 1:40am
I think they were 10 dollars. Also you can go to an AutoZone and buy them. Ok they are 19 at AutoZone with no waiting.

Edited by 67charger - 09 Apr. 2017 at 1:43am
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 4:59pm

My conversion is done, and the jeep stops a lot better with all factory disc brake parts except the caliper bracket which is not a wear item.  I have two concerns with this conversion though: 1) the flange around the hub that holds the lug nut studs in seem kind of thin when not bolted to the drum. 2) with the Geo tracker conversion there is no dust shield, I'm wondering if you do off-roading in sand etc., the hub seals could be eaten up fast.  Only time will tell on these concerns.  Other than that, if you don't mind discs on your old jeep its worth the switch.  

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 7:56pm
67charger,

Post a picture of the hub and bosses where the wheel studs go.

I have not had a problem with the seals - But I do replace those seal when I repack the bearings every few years.  Maybe I don't Jeep hard enough - I have taken it to the offroad park called the Badlands in in Indiana which is pretty much just a sand and gravel pit.  No issues.

Edited by Stev - 11 Apr. 2017 at 8:04pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

67charger,

I have not had a problem with the seals - But I do replace those seal when I repack the bearings every few years.  Maybe I don't Jeep hard enough - I have taken it to the offroad park called the Badlands in in Indiana which is pretty much just a sand and gravel pit.  No issues.

The only good picture of the hub I have is next to the drum I knocked it off of. I've really only dealt with 3/4 ton and 1 ton disc hubs so my assessment of thin might be skewed because of lack of light duty dealings. I would have to say the hub is probably 1/4"or smaller?

Edited by 67charger - 11 Apr. 2017 at 11:41pm
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2017 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

67charger,

Now that it's done, the amount of 'leg' you have to put into, is the disc less for the same stopping distance? Issue is my wife and her feeling comfortable getting it to stop. The wife is not a wuss but is in good shape, lifts, runs, etc but is only 5'4" 120 so not as much mass, like my lard butt.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2017 at 2:10am
The stopping distance is improve in my case.  You can actually lock them up and skid.

I did the conversion so my girls could drive off road.  They are 23 and 16.  The both weigh less than 115 pounds.  I was concerned with holding the CJ2A on a hill.  With the 9" drums I had to push will all my might to hold it in place for several minutes on hills.  My girls can hold it with the disc brake conversion no issues.  Stops like a real car.  I would recommend some sort of disc brake conversion if I as going to let anyone else drive my CJ2A.  Years ago, I was cut off in traffic ( 9" drums at the time) and I managed to get it stopped but I sure would not want  my kids to have been driving.

The problem I have with the 9" is that they dont stay adjusted.  Everything is great, then you use it for few weekends and everything is not as good as it was when you started.

Edited by Stev - 12 Apr. 2017 at 2:14am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 4:56am
I'm at the stage of trying to get the disk brakes set up.
I have all the chevy parts but even after grinding the knuckle, there is no way the caliper is going to fit. There is a "nub" that sticks out from the caliper that is preventing it from sitting close enough. The "nub" is the boss for the brake line so I can't exactly whack it off.
The calipers I used are the ones listed in the original post. Same autozone part numbers and everything. What am I doing wrong?!

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 5:16am
Originally posted by clayvt clayvt wrote:

I'm at the stage of trying to get the disk brakes set up.
I have all the chevy parts but even after grinding the knuckle, there is no way the caliper is going to fit. There is a "nub" that sticks out from the caliper that is preventing it from sitting close enough. The "nub" is the boss for the brake line so I can't exactly whack it off.
The calipers I used are the ones listed in the original post. Same autozone part numbers and everything. What am I doing wrong?!
I believe the caliper bolts to the other side of the bracket. Your bracket should bend away from the axle, not towards it.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 4:54pm
Clay, I used the GM kit and it worked just fine. We have different types of calipers, however.

Here's some more pics of mine installed.

As my pads wear, the caliper may not clear my knuckle either. However, I don't know how long it will take to wear that much pad. I suspect it will be years of use before this is even an issue. These brakes are way overkill for these little jeeps. But I like overkill
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 5:02pm
The "ears" of the bracket are towards the wheel.
The bushings for the mounting bolts I assume are providing proper spacing on the bracket, but are the calipers supposed to sit flush with the bracket? That would give me about another 1/4" I think?

clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 5:05pm
Rick would you happen to know the exact type of caliper you have?
I was thinking autozone may have given me the wrong capilers, but even looking on their web site for C110 and C111 like in the op, they look just like mine.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 5:17pm
Clay, looking at your pics, it looks like you have your bracket clocked wrong or you need to flip your caliper over. The flats on the knuckle flange are the top and bottom. I clocked mine at ~10 on passenger and ~2 on the driver side. Remember to install the caliper with the bleeder screw positioned UP. They will fit either way. AMHIK

I bet if you use the other caliper (left vs right, they are different) over it will work just fine

My Videos
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 6:15pm
I don't know what caliper I have but here are the numbers on it: 1800. 7118. 203. 118. It looks like your caliper may be the older GM caliper. I think mine are for the year models 1989 to about 2000.

My Videos
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 11:54pm

I was thinking autozone may have given me the wrong capilers, but even looking on their web site for C110 and C111 like in the op, they look just like mine.

Those should be the correct calipers. Here is a photo from a pre-bought kit:

I have all my parts purchased but haven't been home to assemble yet.  Also this article outlines the calipers should be correct as well: 

I would try messing with how they're bolted on as Rick suggested. It could be something simple.
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Those should be the correct calipers. Here is a photo from a pre-bought kit:

I have all my parts purchased but haven't been home to assemble yet.  Also this article outlines the calipers should be correct as well: 

I would try messing with how they're bolted on as Rick suggested. It could be something simple.

I'm going to fiddle with the bolting when I get home tonight. But looking at the photo of your kit, the calipers don't have "the nub". The brake lines look like they come out more straight in the back, not angled like mine.
I will post an update when I can.
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 2:48am
Well, after more fiddling I can say with 100% confidence that the autozone part numbers C110 and C111 for the C10 1/2 ton will NOT fit whatsoever.  

So now i need to track down what type of caliper RickG has...
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 3:07am

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>