Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Jeep Disk Conversion for $250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2018 at 1:24pm
Hodges10, 

Send me your email address and I can send you the drawing I used.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
hodges10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hodges10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 6:05am
jlhodges09@gmail.com 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 7:04am
I wouldn't mind a copy of that too if you could.

rocnroll at prodigy dot net

Thanks!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 1:31pm
Sent - Got to figure out how to just post the files.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 8:17pm
I have a stupid question:

When doing the conversion on the rear, how do we handle the axle seal? Do we just leave the cone-shaped cover off?

Thanks,
Les
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 2:39am
How many man hours does the Chevy Conversion take? Trying to figure out a labor estimate.

Thanks
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 3:33am
Originally posted by tufcj2a tufcj2a wrote:

How many man hours does the Chevy Conversion take? Trying to figure out a labor estimate.
It's not bad at all, maybe a few hours. I've converted 2 Jeeps this way and the second time I flew through it.
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2018 at 3:52am
Thanks. I'll estimate 6 hours. He's an excellent mechanic, but usually doesn't do mods. Plus if I'm helping him, that will slow things down even more.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

Nice!

I also learned that except for the bolt on the banjo fitting, the 10mm  and 3/8 banjo fitting is the same beast.

With that in mind, a quick troll on Summit Racing produced this:

A Dorman 11" brake line with a 3/8" banjo and 3/8-24 inverted flare for $9.97

I've found them up to 16" for under $10 at Summit.

Locally, the Tracker brake lines cost about $30 each.
Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

I think they were 10 dollars. Also you can go to an AutoZone and buy them. Ok they are 19 at AutoZone with no waiting.

Am I understanding that this 3/8 banjo DOES work but requires which bolt?

Edited by mickeykelley - 08 June 2018 at 4:06pm
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 11:27pm
I think the caliper should have the bolt with the hole in it. The flexible line would have the banjo fitting on one side. I could be wrong, its been awhile since i converted it.
Elroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 9:10pm
I would like to get the drawings for the geo bracket. I'm a little confused who I should be asking, so I'm just putting out a humble request. Thanks in advance. Elroy
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Elroy Elroy wrote:

I would like to get the drawings for the geo bracket. I'm a little confused who I should be asking, so I'm just putting out a humble request. Thanks in advance. Elroy

I have a copy of the Geo bracket on another computer. I also have a buddy that made me the geo brackets as he has a shop with a laser. I can get you the drawing or a price on brackets or both if you'd like. I trade him work so no idea what it would be to have him cut 4 brackets, but I'm thinking not too much.
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 1:38am
Spinnas, not to jump in here but if you get a price to have a couple made I would be interested also.  I have been thinking about this upgrade and the bracket is the one thing I would not have access to.  Thanks
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Elroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 2:32am
Thanks, I will pm you with my email info
truher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 5:39am
Hey everybody, sorry to butt in so late, but I'm interested in doing a four wheel disc conversion on my VEC, which is a full floater. Has anyone compared the available options?  It seems like there are a few:

1. The Chevy parts discussed here.
2. The Geo Tracker
3. Herm The Overdrive Guy's kit
4. The Jeep Guy's kit, that looks a lot like this thread.
5. Kaiser Willy's sells a kit that looks a lot like Herm's

Are there other options?  I'd like  to avoid grinding, and I like the idea of using K10 parts front and rear if possible.

What should I do?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 6:58am
Originally posted by truher truher wrote:

What should I do?

Are your current brakes not working?
Is your jeep running and driving at this time?
If so, why take it out of action do do something that is not really needed.

I know this opinion goes against what’s being discussed in this thread, but these stock brakes have been stopping these jeeps for over 70 years. If the brakes are working, get them adjusted and set up correctly and they will take care of you just fine. 
Then you can sped the money you save on something really important like a giant light bar that will bring the sun at midnight, or maybe some of those cool headlights that change color.

Sorry to get so silly, but there really is nothing wrong with the stock brakes. Do disk brakes stop you with a lighter touch on the pedal? I’m sure they do, but I can lock all 4 up in a panic stop pretty darn fast.

Drum brakes have been doing the job since cars were invented and only recently was it decided that for some reason they are now not good enough.

Now if you are wanting a car for your 16 year old daughter to drive to high school, skip the light bar and get the disks. Or better yet get her something with steel all the way around her.

As with most opinions, this one is probably worthless, but it’s mine.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 11:45am
I did the Geo conversion and it was great.  The biggest problem with the stock brakes, is that if the drums were turned ever or worn down a bit, the shoes should be profiled to them.  
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I know this opinion goes against what’s being discussed in this thread, but these stock brakes have been stopping these jeeps for over 70 years.Drum brakes have been doing the job since cars were invented and only recently was it decided that for some reason they are now not good enough.

Once set up, a set of disc brake pads can be changed out in about the same time it takes to jack it up and take a wheel off......( if you are really wanting to talk about having the vehicle being down for maintenance, how long did your last drum brake job take?)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>