Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Jeep Disk Conversion for $250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 1:09pm
Roc, in fairness I think Stan is referring to having the vehicle out of action to do the disc conversion, not for maintenance of either disc or drum brakes....
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Roc, in fairness I think Stan is referring to having the vehicle out of action to do the disc conversion, not for maintenance of either disc or drum brakes....

Well OK in all fairness I'm just giving the 'other side' of why sometimes 'other ideas', modern or not, can be an improvement if one would think in that direction.

As for "out of action to do the conversion" it was already discussed as maybe a 6hr job timeframe (assuming all parts are gathered and on hand when beginning)

I personally think that that may be somewhat optimistic so let's stretch that timeline to an extravagant two day weekend.......that's too much downtime?

To each his own.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 2:21pm
I am right in the middle of the Geo conversion on my CJ5.  The reason for 'me' is that the 9", as we got the jeep, are plain scary.  Such that the wife refused to even drive it.  When I started reading about rebuilding them, I spent about a year reading and getting information.  One of my original criteria was keeping the original KH wheels.  Part of 'my and wifes' joy is it being old school so look was important. I figured that by the time I rebuilt the the 9" vs something else, I might just be wasting money. I gave up on the Chevy conversion due the wheel issue. So bought the 11" self adjusting Bendix for front and rear, and was going that route when I stumbled into this Geo discussing here. It seems pretty straight forward and fairly cost effective and it seems like those who have done it have been very happy.  Then adding to the bit about going thru water and drums taking awhile to dry out, I proceeded ahead.  Now, I have to admit that it has been like pulling teeth at times.  But that is really not about the conversion but more to do with getting all the parts on hand and the multiple vendors, trips for wrong piece, not in stock, one comes in, then wait for second, then it's wrong, deciding to do bearings and seal while in there,  blah, blah.  In the mean time since I started this, the jeep is out of commission and garage space occupied. So my advise is get your list and ALL parts in your hands before you even take the wheel off.  When finished, I'll be posting my finished feelings.  On the Geo conversion, Stev here has been very helpful.  A thank you shout out to him in particular and others. 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 2:46pm
My real deal is that original brakes work fine therefor there is no need to put a disc brake upgrade at the top of your list of things to do.

Are modern disc brakes better? Yes, of course they are. That's why all cars have them now, and motorcycles, and bicycles, and baby carriages and ...
Also, I will concede the fact that changing brake pads is a bit easier and faster than changing out brake shoes. And putting an entire disc brake system in your Willys is a pretty simple job as far as modernizing goes. Way easier that a engine swap or a transfer case gear set change. But changing brake shoes is NOT a major job most of the time. And I've done enough brake jobs on cars from the 50s and 60s that I can swap the shoes out pretty fast. 

But it kind of reminds me of back when I worked at the Chevron station and we had this guy come in with a Camaro, all jacked up in the back, with big wide 50s on the back, wrapped around some sweet Cragar spoke wheels. I was thrilled when he asked me to check his oil. What kind of monster motor will I get to look at? When I popped the hood I was looking at a tiny little six cylinder engine inside that big ole engine bay. Even at sixteen I knew that that guy had started at the wrong end of his to-do list.

I am definitely NOT saying that disc brakes are a bad idea. They are a good idea and I may go that way someday. Just saying, for me, they are not necessary at this time, and would not be the first on my to-do list, especially if my jeep was sitting in the garage not moving while I waited for new improved brakes parts to arrive.

My favorite part of having a jeep is driving it, not working on it, or looking at it, but to others, and I really do respect this, their favorite part is working on their jeep. And most of you do fabulous work that I could never come close to matching. 

Also would like to add that I really appreciate the people on this thread that have taken the time to map out the bits and pieces required if one decides to do this upgrade.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:11pm
I think what Stan is trying to say is, If you are unhappy with the performance of your brakes, a disc brake conversion could be a good idea, but don't feel the need to make the conversion if your brakes were working fine until you learned that they are not working fine ... by reading this thread.

Edit: A dual master cylinder is a very good idea.

Edited by jpet - 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:18pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:17pm
It took me a weekend to do my Geo conversion.  The best part of the Geo conversion was the fact nothing was modified, no original parts were ruined, it looks stock "not hacked up etc.", and all the wearable stock Geo parts you can buy from O'reillys etc..  Its different strokes for different folks, but for me its one of the best conversions I have ever done on the jeep.  I think the second best was the 11 inch bendix drums on the back then seat cushions for my arse.LOL  
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:18pm
I know that safety is a big thing for me.  I don't want to be the guy who has to live with the fact that my friend, kid or myself are in the hospital because I choose not to maintain my Jeep, do reasonable upgrades as people figured them out.  My kids wanted to wheel so disc brakes made since for me.

When we wheel old Jeeps,our group decided years ago that everyone to have these things:
- Working brakes
- Working Parking brake - that could hold the Jeep on a steep hill
- Roll bar
- Seat belts
- Fire extinguisher
- Well mounted recovery points.

I would add having everything tied down - especially the spare tire and the Highlift Jack - in case the Jeep rolls is a must.

Be Safe Out There - Jeep Softly - Lend a Hand

Edited by Stev - 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:24pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:33pm
.... how do you know that your disc brakes stop better than Stan's 9' brakes. You don't know that. You have never driven his jeep. You don't know that all jeeps with 9" brakes are unsafe. Why stop there? Is not having anti-lock brakes dangerous? how about no air bags?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

truher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:43pm
Ha ha, I think Stan is totally right, I could just maintain the original brakes.  I totally admit that my intentions aren't entirely rational, but I think that's ok.  I just like the disc design better. I do have reasons: I like the lower pedal effort, and ive felt that scary feeling where your drums fade to "barely working" halfway down a long steep hill.  The trigger for me right now is troubleshooting a slight pull to the left, despite the adjusters seeming to be set correctly, using the feeler gauge method.  Troubleshooting a design youdon't like is pretty painful.  :-)

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:48pm
I have disc brakes too and agree that they are better. If someone implies that it is irresponsible not to upgrade 9" brakes period..... well .....

GW has 9" brakes. They stop just as good as ANY disc brake conversion.   How do I know? because all 4 lock up. There is no such thing as, "mine lock up better"

If Russia can blow up the earth 5 times but the US can blow it up 10 times, who has the advantage?

Edit: Locking up your brakes in a panic stop is usually NOT a good.

Edited by jpet - 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:50pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

.... how do you know that your disc brakes stop better than Stan's 9' brakes. You don't know that. You have never driven his jeep. You don't know that all jeeps with 9" brakes are unsafe. Why stop there? Is not having anti-lock brakes dangerous? how about no air bags?

I'm trying to read where this came into the thread??

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I'm trying to read where this came into the thread??

Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

I know that safety is a big thing for me.  I don't want to be the guy who has to live with the fact that my friend, kid or myself are in the hospital because I choose not to maintain my Jeep, do reasonable upgrades as people figured them out. My kids wanted to wheel so disc brakes made since for me.

... ok well, what does this statement mean?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 4:06pm
-- This is just people trying to figure out what work for them.  Everyone has to figure it out for themselves what they are going to do.  No wrong or right answers.  Hopefully we will all have great outcomes and great wheeling experiences.

I wheeled for 32 years with 9"drums brakes before going to discs.  I am pleased with discs but might still be wheeling with 9" drums if my kids were not interested in wheeling.

Stev
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 4:08pm
Well I didn't mean anything by it...was just trying to figure out all the defensiveness that just seemed to jump in there.

I guess I see what you are saying (and BTW I agree with your lockup scenario) but I was just thrown by the fact Stev didn't even mention Stan's brakes so it just seemed sort of odd to add.

Oh well.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 4:16pm
It is not my intention to offend anyone either so I'm sorry if I did.

I have 9" brakes on GW and have no intention of changing them. If someone wants to advise me or debate it, I'm fine with that. If someone is going to imply that I am irresponsible for not changing them and /or putting loved ones in danger, I will take offense to it. If I misunderstood, then I humbly apologize. We are friends here.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 4:19pm
All -I apologies publicly for any inference or issue on this thread.  No harm intended.
Stev
Stev
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 4:34pm
With great interest I have been reading this article.  Years ago I upgraded my 64 CJ5 to 11" self adjusting brakes and it dose stop with authority.  The 52 M-38 has 9" brakes that work well.  Right now I do not care to spend the time or money to replace what works.  I want to drive the trails and see the sights with the windshield down.
I have miles to Jeep before I sleep.  FCT here we come.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2018 at 4:57pm
I'm beginning to feel like a relic here at the 2A Page.  I like my old school 9" brakes.  I also like my old school generators and air filters.Smile  

I choose to pay homage to the original design when I can.  Helps me to connect to a simpler time I guess. 

To each their own.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>