Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Resurrection of CJ2-26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 1:27am
Willys-Overland loved to reuse photos!
Todd Paisley

1941 MB-100063 - MB Factory Test Mule
1942 MB-123136 - Earliest Documented "Civilian" Test Jeep
1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 1:59am
Micah,
  Do you have a copy of Fred's book, Preproduction Civilian Jeeps? I can't recommend it enough. Anyone with any interest at all in the history of the civilian jeep needs to have a copy. I read mine so much I wore it out, and Fred gave me another copy.Big smile  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 3:15am
Those look fantastic.  I'm a big HFT fan and most in my garage has their label on it these days.  Let me know how the blaster box works for you.  I've been debating it for a few months now, but concerned it's too small to do all but a few parts (not fenders, grill, tailgate) so wouldn't get much use vs take up space.

Good luck with the project! Pictures thus far look great.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2019 at 11:44am
Fred calls it his new trail Jeep. Shocked  I know he will drive it for sure. I just hope he leaves the Rubicon trail out of his plans. I'd help him out and just trade him one of mine for it! Wink Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2019 at 5:48pm
Micah:  Thank you for posting that 1947 Willys ad featuring a CJ-2 stamped JEEP pulling a gang mower; its truth in advertising as they actually picture a Universal "JEEP"'.  LOL  As Todd notes, W-O used many photos of CJ-2 jeeps in their early CJ-2A ads. Most of the jeeps in those ads were totally touched up, but a few, like the one in your ad, weren't completely and still show their pedigree.

tufcj2a: Finally got the air compressor plumbed in and wired with 220 VAC for operation in the small garage. The pipe on the compressor is galvanized steel 1/2" NPT pipe, but the main delivery pipe is Maxline 3/4" ID Rapidair plastic/aluminum/plastic flexible pipe that comes in a 100' roll and uses its own compression fittings for connections. Its the blue pipe in the pictures.

3/4" ID pipe was chosen to assure there would be enough air volume at the blast cabinet about 30' away from the compressor in an adjacent larger garage. Overkill perhaps, but install it once and get it right rather than have to enlarge the pipe later on. A friend who is a retired plumber helped install the pipe and his knowledge made it proceed much easier than if I was on my own. 

The used Harbor Freight blast cabinet was upgraded with many new parts from the Tacoma Company  (www.tacomacompany.com) such as a dedicated air pressure regulator for the cabinet, a foot control for air volume (instead of the trigger on the HF gun), a much improved blast gun, a quick change inner single pane glass, and halogen electric lights (not yet installed). These upgrades should make blasting a more enjoyable experience once I begin and hopefully will be completed this weekend, as the weatherman predicts temperatures in the sixties. The nearby air gun is for cleaning off blasted parts before removing them from the cabinet.

The larger parts such as body tub, fenders, windshield, etc. have or will be blasted by a commercial sand blaster. This HF cabinet is for the smaller parts. A friend offered me a much larger blast cabinet for a good price but it was too large to fit comfortably in my garage and required a step stool just to climb up and look inside the window. It was simply too big. 

John: CJ2-26 will be my trail riding jeep but will travel mostly on dirt roads and few, if any, rock crawling trails. I'll mostly stick to the touring rides with Mike.

Merry Christmas to all!

Edited by Fred Coldwell - 20 Dec. 2019 at 5:51pm
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 5:57pm

Looks like the aluminum die is holding up good. I’ve punched out 5 now with no visible distortion in the dies.

Todd, shoot me a PM with a mailing address.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 6:40pm
That is so cool, they look spot on 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

That is so cool, they look spot on 

I can't swear that they are spot on but they are the best available replacement
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Todd Paisley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 10:33pm
Jeff: PM sent.  Thanks!
Todd Paisley

1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 9:43pm
A New Year's Happy progress!! Last week I finished installing the equipment upgrades to the used Harbor Freight blast cabinet, but had to wait until today for the outdoor temperature to reach 50 degrees, which it did. So I poured the glass beads into the cabinet, turned on the air compressor, adjusted the cabinet air pressure regulator to 35 lbs. and began blasting in my unheated garage. For the test run I chose two iconic CJ-2 parts, the fixed headlight brackets that hold the 5" diameter military headlights. They cleaned up very well, as seen in the before and after photos below.     

So now I am ready to begin bead blasting small lots of jeep parts at home on warmer winter and early spring days. I also received new M38 floor bottom hat channels from Midwest Military to give to Lou, my body and paint guy, to install during his repairs to the body, which I hope will begin soon. Slow but steady, I'll make progress resurrecting CJ2-26 in 2020.  Smile
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 9:46pm
Nothing like the right tool for the job Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 10:25pm
Fred, when the warm air leaves your compressor, it will cool and condense. If you lay your hose on the floor, it drops out water and sooner or later wets up your blast media. A old trick is to buy some black pipe and run it up over your garage rafters and down. Put a petcock drain at the bottom. This acts as a water drop. The other thing you learn to do is screen the media every so often and get rid of the big flakes of rust and junk. You can back blow the gun by putting your rubber glove over the nozzle and step on the air valve. 

Check the tip and gun frequently because it has consumables. Mostly the tip and gaskets. The ceramic tips last much longer than the steel tips. Any pressure over 100 PSI will just break your media up faster. A mix of fines and coarse will strip faster than  all coarse. 

If your machine quits feeding media and you have back blown it, then check the pickup in the cabinet. If it has a bend to it, the outside of the angle can literally wear through and you lose your siphon effect. 

Ask me how I know all this!!!!!Wink  Oilly

PS----used rubber tire inner tube scraps and poke holes in it to hold your bolts, or a sacrificial set of needle nose pliers. Your rubber gloves will thank you!

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 14 Jan. 2020 at 10:27pm
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 10:33pm
Fred,
Since you are blasting the original nuts, bolts and washers, I presume you plan to reuse all the original hardware.

If you weren't not already planning this, I thought I would suggest it. I have done two ground up rebuilds. One of the best things I did was to load up all the hardware that was not originally painted and send them off to Techplate to have them refinished. I just get the grease off them and throw them in an ammo can. I let them do the rest. When I get it all back, I sort everything out in plastic containers. It makes reassembly much easier and cleaner. Plus you don't end up with a mismatch of finishes. Their cadmium finishes are very nice. Prices were not that bad.

I recommend getting a few handfuls of new washers and bolts to throw in so you have extras with the correct finish.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 10:56pm
Great work. 

Also interesting to see the evolution from the MB/GPW swing-arm holders to these fixed mounts. I hope some day to view a CJ2 in person as I'm fascinated by the changes from military to civilian production.

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 3:49pm
Oilly: Thank you for your blasting suggestions. My compressed air piping system runs up from the compressor in the small garage, through the wall and along the rafters in the large garage, then down to the blast cabinet (another leg tees off further to the new ceiling mounted air hose reel). I have water drain valves at low points throughout the piping system, so hopefully draining them will minimize condensed water in the blast cabinet hoses.

I blast at 35-40 psi and use old glass bead media that came with the cabinet. My nozzle is ceramic, and a second ceramic nozzle is ready as a replacement when the first one wears out. I'll use your suggestion of placing bolts and screws in rubber tire tube scrap to blast their heads. They are initially blasted in a shallow wire basket, where I shake them around often to clean all sides.  

Steelyard Blues:  Thank you for your plating suggestion and the link to techplate.com. I'll look into using them.  

19Cargo42: Ford held the patent on the swing-arm headlight bracket used on its Pygmy, GP, and GPW, and gave Willys permission to use that bracket on the MB jeeps built for the government. But because the CJ-2 was built for its own use, Willys had to come up with a different way to mount the 5" diameter military headlights behind the MB grill used on the CJ-2, hence the fixed headlight bracket. As you know, the CJ-2A used 7" diameter civilian headlights mounted flush on a new civilian grill, so avoided the problem entirely.         
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Todd Paisley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 12:43am
Looking good!
Todd Paisley

1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A
Daron Wanberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daron Wanberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2020 at 5:27am
Looking great. Most excellent. Light brackets from Building 52 in Toledo to Fred's engineering building 1 and 2.
44 CJ-2 SN CJ2-14 X38 AGRIJEEP

45 2A SN 10011

46 2A SN 17558

46 2A SN 11951

46 2A SN 33283

47 2A SN 98996

48 2A SN 181941

48 2A SN 204590

49 2A SN 224406
<b

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 5:38am
Back to making some progress on CJ2-26.  Today I picked up from my body and paint guy, Lou Ferra, the five 4-1/2" solid disc wheels that have been painted Sunset Red and hand pinstriped in black enamel.  Here they are strapped down in my pickup bed coming home, their edges protected by foam wraps:

Five reproduction Goodyear 600-16 pencil point NDT tires, with tubes and flaps, are in my basement waiting to be mounted on these wheels, which I hope to get accomplished soon.  It's great to finally get back on track.   Smile
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>