Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Resurrection of CJ2-26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 1:03pm
Wheels look perfect! Curious what paint they used. Is it base/clear or single stage? It looks like a satin finish in the pic.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 1:20pm
Fred, I'm scheduled to come out for the Color Tour a week early if you need help mounting those...

Got tubes?

PS Flaps are for 2 piece wheels.

Edited by Joe Friday - 15 July 2020 at 1:22pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

...Five reproduction Goodyear 600-16 pencil point NDT tires, with tubes and flaps, are in my basement waiting to be mounted on these wheels,....
Originally, I thought this was going to be your "trail" jeep. Are you changing your mind on this?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 2:59pm
I suspect that Fred may have access to another set of wheels and tires if he chooses to 'wheel' this under conditions that would chew up his period correct tires.
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

Wheels look perfect! Curious what paint they used. Is it base/clear or single stage? It looks like a satin finish in the pic.

Hi Dean:

I took a peeled scrap of old Sunset Red paint to a local NAPA store and matched its rubbed color as best I could to a readily available NAPA orange commercial paint (of which there are many), so it is not an expensive custom mix but a readily available paint should I ever need more.  The orange I chose looked lighter on the chip than on the painted wheel, but I'm still pleased with the final result. Its a single stage paint but Lou coated it with clear coat to help preserve it. So I guess I should call it a Sunset Red cousin. 

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Fred, I'm scheduled to come out for the Color Tour a week early if you need help mounting those...Got tubes? PS Flaps are for 2 piece wheels.
Joe:

Yes, I'll wait until you are here in September to mount them, thank you. I bought tubes when I bought the tires and all have been stored in my cool basement. And you cleared up my wondering whether flaps are necessary on a one piece rim, so now I have five extra flaps. I was reading too much about mounting tires on combat wheels when I ordered my tubes and flaps. So I guess now I'll be unflappable when driving!! 

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally, I thought this was going to be your "trail" jeep. Are you changing your mind on this?
Jeff:

No change of mind, but occasionally we go to the opera and she insisted on proper shoes for an evening on the town. She also has a set of gnarly old mud and snow work boots for the trails that she can slip into when out exploring mountain passes. ;) 
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

She also has a set of gnarly old mud and snow work boots for the trails that she can slip into when out exploring mountain passes. ;)  

Great to hear it'll be driven off-road. Looking forward to seeing more progress.
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 7:27pm

"Jeff:

No change of mind, but occasionally we go to the opera and she insisted on proper shoes for an evening on the town."

Bwahahahaha! Love this. I almost spit out my iced tea when I read it. 

Been itching for an update on your progress on 26 Fred. Thanks. 

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2020 at 8:10pm
So I guess now I'll be unflappable when driving!!

I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2020 at 8:07pm
After an inspirational week jeeping at Mike and Nancy's Fall Color Tour 2020, I was motivated to get back to restoring CJ2-26 for next year's trail rides.  My body and paint guy, Lou Ferra, also cleared the decks to repair and paint some of the body parts. 

Late this week I spent 2 days sandblasting small parts with the help of Squeezy and Beady, my air compressor and blast cabinet. Although I thought I had chosen parts to be painted Harvest Tan to give to Lou, it turns out most of the parts are to be painted black, which I'll do here at home.  So over the next few days I make better part selections to deliver to Lou for painting when he paints some of the larger body parts. 

The two most endearing parts Lou painted are the JEEP-stamped tailgate and outer windshield frame, shown here:

Many, many heartfelt thanks to Jpet for making the dies to stamp the JEEP name welded into the tailgate.  CJ2-26 will wear that tailgate with spot-weld popping pride! Lou also painted the front bumper:

so we're making good progress before winter sets in.  In a few days I post photos of the small parts I've painted black. It's great to be back on track. Enjoy!

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Todd Paisley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2020 at 9:19pm
Looking good!
Todd Paisley

1941 MB-100063 - MB Factory Test Mule
1942 MB-123136 - Earliest Documented "Civilian" Test Jeep
1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2020 at 9:48pm
I always look forward to your posts. 
Paul Dub-Ya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Dub-Ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2020 at 4:07am

My son and I are restoring a 1947 CJ2A. We were having a difficult time removing the bell crank shaft pin. It was really stubborn. We tried hammering it out. We tried heating it with a torch. We tried chilling it with dust-off. We tried welding on a ½” bolt and pulling it out through a spacer but the welds kept breaking. The pin would not budge.

I want to thank you for posting the idea about drilling the center of the pin and threading it.

We drilled into the pin starting with small bits and working up until we had it drilled out enough to tap 1/4"-28 threads. I had a little trouble finding a long enough threaded bolt and ended up ordering a 2"-long grade 8 threaded rod from McMaster. We used a couple different spacers but it came right out. It worked like magic!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 7:12pm
Paul Dub-Ya:

Happy to hear my solution for removing that troublesome bell crank shaft pin helped you.  I've benefited immensely from the tips and solutions others have posted on this website, and am glad I can return the favor. Smile
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 7:30pm
The gas tank in the stamped "JEEP" CJ2 is an odd combination of a MB and CJ-2A fuel tank. It has a flat bottom (no "cow belly" as on the MB) so is only 10 gallons capacity like the CJ-2A tank, but its filler neck is located underneath the driver's seat like on the MB. I had one fabricated from a CJ-2A gas tank by (1) cutting off the outside filler neck and patching the hole, (2) squaring off the bottom of the removed filler neck and having it welded into in the top of the gas tank centered between the first and second tubular cross members on the driver's seat frame, and (3) moving the fuel level sending unit rearward to between the center tubular and rear angle iron seat frame cross members. Todd Paisley oversaw that work by a metal fabricator local to him.  He shipped the gas tank back to me when the work was finished.

On receipt I immediately took it to my body and paint guy, Lou Ferra, for painting. Contemporary vintage photos of the stamped CJ2s reveal the gas tank was painted body color, so Lou painted the gas tank and its small diameter WW II military gas cap Harvest Tan for CJ2-26. They came out beautifully as seen below.  Enjoy!

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 9:33pm
Like many other parts on a CJ2 stamped "JEEP",  the seat frames incorporate a combination of MB and CJ-2A features. The driver side seat frame is mostly MB with a few changes: (1) the right front leg has been shortened and turned 90 degrees towards the center of the jeep to mount on the wider transmission hump of the CJ-2, (2) the rearmost cross member is an angle iron instead of a flattened tubular cross member, and (3) no seat pan is mounted on top of the three cross members; instead, they are left open. Two small round locating pins have been added to the top of the front tubular cross member.

The passenger side seat frame is a MB passenger seat frame modified as follows: (1) the two front legs are shortened and have angled tabs on their ends to mount into cast brackets on top of the front edge of the new enclosed tool compartment, (2) the rearmost cross member is an angle iron instead of a flattened tubular cross member, and (3) the full width flat MB passenger seat pan has been omitted, leaving the 3 cross members exposed.  

These features are seen on the newly painted CJ-2 seat frames here:

Because the CJ-2 seat frames are dimensionally the same as MB seat frames,  I choose to have late war style MB metal seat springs made for the bottom and back seat cushions. Nick Hopper at All American Manufacturing and Canvas Works LLC in Nine Mile Falls, WA. 99026 has been making late war MB seat spring seats (using "S" springs) for a few years, and I asked Nick if he would make a seat of seat cushions for me. He quickly said 'yes".  But, of course, they would not be the standard MB canvas covered seat cushions he was familiar with as they incorporated a combination of MB and CJ-2A seat cushion features.

The seat pans that had been removed from the seat frames were changed and added to the bottom of the bottom seat cushions on the CJ2.  Fortunately for me, they were the same seat spring pans as used on the CJ-2A and Carl Walck has been reproducing them, so I ordered 2 seat pans (W.O. #663706) from Carl and had them shipped to Nick.

The seat cover fabric specified for the stamped "JEEP" in the CJ-2 Bill of Materials is "Olive Drab Fabric-112 Sateen Vynalite Coated - Colonial Gain Dull finished undyed  back finish weight 27 oz. per yard."  This is not a stock item at Joanna's Fabrics.  But again, thankfully, Carl Walck is reproducing this fabric and claims his current product is a very nice match to the original.  In a blind leap of faith, without having seen a sample, I ordered a complete seat of early CJ-2A seats covers (both front seats and the early MB style CJ-2A back seat) from Carl and had them shipped to Nick. A few photos I had seen on the internet of Carl's early CJ-2A seat covers suggested they were more beige then olive drab, but in the spirit of keeping CJ2-26 as original as possible I ordered them anyway rather than using olive drab canvas as is on CJ2-09 (and has wonderful patina and wear marks). Fingers crossed!

Of course Carl's CJ-2A seat covers were about 4" too tall for the shorter MB height back panels on CJ2-26's seat frames, so I asked Nick to shorten the rear seat covers and fit the bottom seat covers to his MB spring cushions.  He said he's be happy to do that and looked forward to this unusual project.

Two days ago Nick's finished seat cushions were delivered to my house . . .

. . . and I am thrilled beyond words with how great they came out. These are made the way the originals were on CJ2-26 but are brand new! Nothing could be finer. And Carl's seat covers are really olive drab in color, not beige as I was unexcitedly expecting, and I'm thrilled with those too!

Here are Nick's finished seat cushions temporarily placed on CJ2-26's seat frames:

Here is a close up of Carl's fabric that is really olive drab in person:

Nick also had to attach Carl's reproduction spring pans to the bottom spring cushions.  I emailed Nick photos of a worn CJ-2A seat pan I had that used leather laces inside the hem around the bottom seat cover underside perimeter. The pans were then held to the cushion by folded triangular metal tabs.

Carl's seat pans have two long metal tabs at their rear which slide under the angle iron rear cross member and hold the cushion rears in place on both the driver and passenger seat.  On the driver's seat, the two pins on the front cross member go into the threaded holes at the front of the seat pan and hold it in place. The pins allow the drivers side seat cushion to be lifted up (or removed) for filling the gas tank beneath it.  On the passenger seat two machine screws go up through two holes in the front cross member and thread into the front of the seat pan, holding it in place.   

Here's the inside of a back seat cushion showing the "S" springs that, over time, will make their imprint of the seat covers with extended use:

For now the seat cushions will be kept packed away in their box.  But once CJ2-26's body is repaired, painted, wired, and mounted on the chassis, I'll pull out the cushions and attach them to the seat frames.

A heartfelt and well-deserved "Thank You" is sent to Nick Hopper of All American Manufacturing and Canvas, LLC, for his excellent seat springs and superb upholstery, and to Carl Walck for his wonderful reproduction seat pans and accurate olive drab reproduction seat covers.  CJ2-26 is enhanced by your craftsmanly contributions. 

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 1:55am
Good looking project. I was just reading about your air compressor install. Sounds like you have lots of line to get the water out. I built a radiator to remove water and it works great. If you have problems with wet air maybe consider installing one. I followed these instructions and it was an easy build.

Jon
15 Field RCA
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2020 at 12:02pm
Fred,

Great progress on your jeep! Appreciate you sharing the journey to bring this unique vehicle back to life.

Regards,
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 5:00pm
Jon:

Thank you for the link to the video about building a radiator for air compressor delivery lines.  It was very entertaining as well as informative; the guy is an instructive hoot.  

So far I haven't had any problem with wet compressed air here in Denver at 5,280' elevation with our low relative humidity. The dry air in Colorado works to our advantage in slowing down rust as well as "flash rust" on newly media blasted bare metal parts. 

I did install water drains at the low points in my air lines so I can drain any condensation in them.  In fact, I just went out to my garage, pressurized the air lines and opened the drain valves. Not a hint of moisture was felt in the escaping air, so I'm blessed being in a dry environment. 

Off-topic question: are many of the residents in Point Roberts just south of your city U.S. citizens?  I see they live in the United States and would expect them to be.  Is there some type of agreement wherein Canada provides for their national defense given the local geography?  Just curious.  And given your avatar, I hope you are avoiding unicorn infections in your liver.  LOL

Dave:

Glad you find CJ2-26's story interesting.  Hopefully progress will accelerate this and next year.  ;)
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>