Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 CJ2A
    Posted: 30 Dec. 2017 at 12:58am
Geese, Sauceman, don't sugar-coat it, why don't you tell us how you really feel?  Wink

Body panels are like anything else, you buy quality, you get quality. You buy cheap, you get cheap. 

http://www.classicent.com/jeep/          Good stuff.     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2017 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by dellerman dellerman wrote:

what are your thoughts on cost to do the pans and body work vs getting a new tub for these?

These new body replacement parts, tubs included suck. The metal is thinner and don't always line up properly. 

Now if your tub is so far rotted then yes a new one would be more cost effective, but this one only needed a front pan and one side cowl so is was better to just replace those parts.

Did I mention new sheet metal *expletive deleted* but dead donkeys like it.

cheers

Edited by Joe Friday - 30 Dec. 2017 at 2:34am
dellerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dellerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2017 at 7:11pm
what are your thoughts on cost to do the pans and body work vs getting a new tub for these?
'46 CJ2A 29835
'88 Grand Wagoneer
'11 JKU
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 6:53pm
Awesome job!
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 6:30pm
I ended up getting some base coat the same color and covering the trouble spots first. Seemed to work but it's another step and more money. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Sauceman Sauceman wrote:

We also got this CJ3A to re-assemble, good thing we like puzzles!

cheers

The photos show the jeep to be a CJ-3B.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 2:38pm
We also got this CJ3A to re-assemble, good thing we like puzzles!

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09
Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 2:36pm
Coming down to final assembly now, just the windshield frame left to paint. Lots of other little things to sort out though,

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2017 at 11:22pm
You can see the tailgate is a little orange peely , do to the translucent paint issue I started using a coat of Nason sealer before the 1st coat of paint. It didn't make any difference with the translucense but I don't think the paint flowed out as good. Are you using a sealer?
Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2017 at 11:53pm
Very nice!

cheers

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2017 at 9:32pm
It is a nice color, nice shine too.
Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2017 at 2:11am
Getting the engine bay all tidy'd up. Using AmsOil 10w30 with added zinc.

Gauges getting restored,

Headlight buckets all done!

cheers

Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2017 at 1:36am
Well we got back to this one, we had a wedding car to get finished.Confused

After painting some parts we noticed that the blue was a little translucent so our fix is going to be to paint the parts black first, then top coat in blue.

here is a sample, much better colour with no shadows.

Test fitting all the panels before paint,

getting closer!

cheers

Edited by Sauceman - 04 Oct. 2017 at 1:39am

Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 2:04am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Your color looks real good, just for the heck of it I found a real good spot of original paint on the bottom of the tool box lid and cleaned it up. I took it to my paint guy and he scanned it with his camera and came up with a code but it's different. I'm going to let the guy that owns it (by that I mean his wife) decide. If he wants to pay for a couple of samples that's up to him. Does yours appear to have a small amount of fine metallic in it. Thanks.

Groovy thanks! Ya that's where I got my sample from as well, under the tool box lid lol.

Went to pick up the engine today from TDC Engines in Kingston.

Get this bad boy installed soon!

Also got the rims powder coated and new rubber mounted.

cheers

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 8:35pm
Your color looks real good, just for the heck of it I found a real good spot of original paint on the bottom of the tool box lid and cleaned it up. I took it to my paint guy and he scanned it with his camera and came up with a code but it's different. I'm going to let the guy that owns it (by that I mean his wife) decide. If he wants to pay for a couple of samples that's up to him. Does yours appear to have a small amount of fine metallic in it. Thanks.
Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 10:46pm
Got a small update on the willys, transmission / t-case installed and started on the brakes and axles. Waiting on the machine shop for the engine rebuild and we'll get that back in there pronto!

Here is the paint codes we figured out for Normandy Blue

cheer

Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 11:51pm
Well we got a new/used head from Willys Acres,

So I dropped it off at the engine shop in town and snapped some pics of the rebuild,

Hung the new leaf springs for a coat of black,

And now the chassis is coming back together,

cheers

Sauceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by Sauceman Sauceman wrote:

...Getting the bracing welded up prior to removing the floor pan...

You gotta get that thing outta the tool box before you paint the tub... just sayin' LOL

LOL, I think he's been sniffing too many solvents...

cheers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>