Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spot welded panels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spot welded panels
    Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 8:49pm
What is everyone using between welded panels where you spot weld?

I have been using the weld through primer, but I don't much care for what it does to my welds.

Is there some other product out there that people are using?
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 9:03pm
I tried a very good weld through primer and ended up having to redo 22 welds that would not hold. I gave up on the idea and instead I'm making sure every weld every weld line every flange is sealed.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 6:45am
Bob

You will need to use a cavity wax/Fisholene type product or eventually all of your seams will explode.

When I brought my new body I spent a few weeks tumbling it around so every single seam was flooded with Fisholene, it penetrates the tiniest seam and protects from future corrosion.

I prefer to keep the top hats etc open where possible so they can breath, so never attempted to use a sealer, just sorted all the lap joints.

I am sure there is some products you have available there...

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 12:51pm
Adrian, this is good info. Do you use that before paint?
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:10pm
Adrian what do you mean the welds will explode? You're talking rust right? So you don't use any product while you weld your seams, then after you are done with the welding and grinding and smoothing you are then using a product to seal over the weld before you paint it....right? So maybe some of the Eastwood products for rust conversion/sealing would work as well?

Edited by damar2yxr - 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:13pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 6:43pm
The "Fisholene" is a product that is intended to penetrate every seam or lap joint.

The Vintage car guys have used it for years here, even on new cars.

I used after the paint job and used an oil can to squirt it inside all the top hat channels etc.

Its smells horrible for a few weeks, but does dry very slowly.

I will try and load a few photos up of the stiff, another brand was ""Ripo"

Every few years you re dose the seams and as it seals over area's paint can't get into it prevents those hidden seams that have bare metal from rusting and then blowing up.

Its made to treat area's that can not be painted by any means

Even Mercedes Benz make there own product and I brought some for my wifes C250.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 6:54pm
I never had any problems with weld through primer I use it all the time ,I'm using one that is call zink weld through primer.It doesn't seem to affect the weld.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 11:07pm
I am no where close to needing to know this information, but I'll toss out there that Corrosion X is a great product we use inside aircraft wings / fuselages / etc where you can't get to and don't want corrosion (or rust for our jeeps) to start.  It also does a great job of sealing/protecting where corrosion had begun and keeps it from getting worse.  

Just putting that name out there too for those who might be still looking...

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 1:34pm
This looks like a canada only product? I'm using duplicolor weld through primer and it splatters the welds terribly. Even after a day of drying. Perhaps I'm using too much?
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

This looks like a canada only product? I'm using duplicolor weld through primer and it splatters the welds terribly. Even after a day of drying. Perhaps I'm using too much?

Yes it a Canadian product,Dominion sure seal LTD in Mississauga Ontario Canada.
Try a auto body store for a different product.See what the body shop use.

Giles.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2017 at 6:06pm
Weld through primer will work better with a real resistance type spot welder but on a plug weld with a mig welder it seems to mess with the shielding gas. I've try a few and have not had good luck.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2017 at 2:14pm
I use Penetrol. It does what fisholine does, without the smell. It creeps into any seam or void most products bridge. Do not confuse it with Flotrol, a flow additive for latex paint.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 3:55am
I used the same weld through zinc primer that Gil has used with great success with the spot welder but when I use the mig I will clean the primer off just in the hole where I will plug weld then you don't have the primer gassing off and messing with the weld quality.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 5:55am
Here is a weld through primer that i have used and different version of a weld through primer that i tested today the spot welder that i used is a power fist 120v spot welder, its the same as the harbour freight one found south of the border. as you can see i did some test spot welds and tried to tear them apart to see if the primer affected the welds and as you can see the spot would tear through, and to confirm i did the test seven times on 18 ga. sheet metal scraps with the same results each time, the only time the spot weld failed was when i tried two pieces of 16 ga. metal and that is more a limitation of the spot welder.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2018 at 12:01pm
Not to be negative, but what good does the weld through primer do ?, if it's not a sealer type primer it's just going to hold moisture and do more harm than good in the long run. IMO if you do your welding and seal the seams you better off. I've removed many panels from junk Jeeps over the years and after cutting the spot welds am amazed how well the Joints held up!. What am I missing here with the primer ?

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 5:08am
Where i am we are fighting rust all the time and i have found perforated panels anywhere there is no paint or primer and because of that i want to do as much as possible to prevent it from coming back, if you look closely where i ripped apart the spot weld you can see there is copper all around the weld and not burnt away, after the welding is done i will also be sealing all the seams too.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply