Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting springs for DJ3A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting springs for DJ3A
    Posted: 10 Mar. 2017 at 4:37pm
It's of no particular importance but I noticed this in the parts book and found it interesting that there is such a wide difference in the number of leaves in the springs, not only from body style to body style but from left to right. I'm especially intriqued why a 3 leaf difference left to right in the front when it was ordered with a hard top. And what is considered "W(ith) Tail Gate" as opposed to "Open Body"?

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2017 at 5:01pm
Only a guess but its probably the load that they thought would be normally on it. "open body" I'm guessing would be the body without the tailgate cutout, most likely the surrey galla, as it would not have had a enclosed top and probably would only carry one or two people. I have no idea why the hard top would be so drastic.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2017 at 5:38pm
10 leaves front, 9 rear on the left side and 7 front and rear on the right for the hardtop. These must of been for the USPS and you drove from the right side?
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2017 at 7:18pm
Our 61 Surrey had 3 leaves each, front and rear.
moabman1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moabman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 11:49pm
Open body likely also refers to the DJ-3A convertible as well, though my early '56 DJ-3A convertible has five leaves front and four leaves back. 
David Eilers
eWillys.com
 Post Reply Post Reply