Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11" brake conversion knuckle issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11" brake conversion knuckle issue
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 7:37pm

Can these steering arms swap sides to gain the space for backing plates and the adjust the the rod ends
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 8:52pm
I dont think so, you have the early knuckles like mine. I had cj5 drums i was going to use and found out they wont fit, so i put discs on the front.
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 1:58am
You need to change the knuckles to the later type with the arms cast into the knuckles for the 11 inch break conversion to work. You will also need the caps to go along with them.
willys jeep
shulls1stcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 2:12am
Ok so what issues would there be doing the 11" conversion on the rear and redoing the 9" on the front and keeping it original on the front.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 2:24am
Not really advisable as the front end does a higher percentage of the braking.

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

Not really advisable as the front end does a higher percentage of the braking.

Agreed. For breaking stability, the front brakes must have more braking power than the rears. Even the stock 9" brakes are designed with this in mind. You might not have noticed this, but the front wheel cylinders are larger than the rear cylinders on the stock set up. This simple design proportionally increases the front brake power over the rears.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
shulls1stcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shulls1stcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 4:47am

Ok so I believe this is what I would need to make it work. Wouldn't you know that I have the passenger side but gave away the driver side to someone who needed it. Lol never thought I would need them. There is a swap meet next week in Petaluma Ca. I hope I might get lucky and find the driver side.
 Post Reply Post Reply