Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Dies on Idle after Warm up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Dies on Idle after Warm up
    Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 9:26pm
Hello folks,

I'm looking for some help.  I finally have this thing on the road (legally).  Over the last month or so I would run her about 10 mins in my driveway, just idling, some light revving.  Everything seems fine, she's charging, oil at 40 psi, sits around 170F.

So I take her out this afternoon, beautiful day.  I drive for about 10 minutes, everything seems fine.  The temp sits really steady around 170 once the thermostat opens up.

The oil pressure is initially at 40 psi, after about 2 or 3 minutes drops to 20 and stays very steady, even upon acceleration.

After ~10 minutes, when idling, it wants to die.  The oil pressure goes down to 10-15 unless I rev the engine.  It will stay running if I rev the engine, but this is near impossible at a stop with the stock pedals and shouldn't be happening anyway.

W-O carb.  Can't tell you the last time it was rebuilt.

New fuel pump and filter

Any thoughts on what it might be?  Or a test procedure?  I definitely want to be able to drive her for more than 10 mins.

Thanks to all!

Edited by Overland - 15 Apr. 2017 at 1:17am
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 9:38pm

Any chance you have old gas? or the float isn't letting fuel in the bowl?

so if they are both good than I would believe it would be your low idle jet.
I would list to the other guys in here, I'm new at the stuff myself.
Still working on the legal stuff so I can work on the other problems.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Overland Overland wrote:

Hello folks,

I'm looking for some help.  I finally have this thing on the road (legally).  Over the last month or so I would run her about 10 mins in my driveway, just idling, some light revving.  Everything seems fine, she's charging, oil at 40 psi, sits around 170F.

So I take her out this afternoon, beautiful day.  I drive for about 10 minutes, everything seems fine.  The temp sits really steady around 170 once the thermostat opens up.

The oil pressure is initially at 40 psi, after about 2 or 3 minutes drops to 20 and stays very steady, even upon acceleration.

After ~10 minutes, when idling, it wants to die.  The oil pressure goes down to 101-5 unless I rev the engine.  It will stay running if I rev the engine, but this is near impossible at a stop with the stock pedals and shouldn't be happening anyway.

New fuel pump and filter

Any thoughts on what it might be?  Or a test procedure?  I definitely want to be able to drive her for more than 10 mins.

Thanks to all!
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 10:10pm

Hello folks,

After ~10 minutes, when idling, it wants to die.  The oil pressure goes down to 101-5 unless I rev the engine.  It will stay running if I rev the engine, but this is near impossible at a stop with the stock pedals and shouldn't be happening anyway.
Hard to diagnose over the internet. The last few problems were found to be coils, condensers or carb. All of them can be an issue after the Jeep is warmed up as you did. Could even be a wire that expands as it heats and looses connection inside of it. I hate to say this but do a search, It's been covered before.

New fuel pump and filter

Thanks to all!
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 10:14pm
My last response didn't go well as in it vanished. The last few issues like this were condensers, coils or the carbs. I hate to be cavalier about it but a search would tell you about what tests people did and the remedy.
uncamonkey
Overland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 1:18am
Gas is brand new. Condenser, coil about 6 months old w less than two hours run time. Basically the carb seemed to work when I got this rig so I just bolted it on, nothing more.

How do I check the float? This is my first carb not on a minibike haha.

Thanks monkey

Edited by Overland - 15 Apr. 2017 at 1:20am
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 1:37am
working heat riser on exh manny? if stuck you may be boiling fuel.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Overland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

working heat riser on exh manny? if stuck you may be boiling fuel.

The heat riser seems to be working, at least cold it has some spring in it and I can see it vibrating with the engine running.  Could I just make it stay open to check for gas boiling?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 8:19pm
People were having problems with bad condensers that were new from the store. Internal shorts in them after they warmed up. Somebody cut up several to show how they were constructed and you could see inside how they shorted out.
If you determine that you have bad parts you may have to try another FLAPS to get another brand. Your first place may have a dozen parts on the shelf from a bad run that was delivered to them.
uncamonkey
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 1:22am

Hello folks,

After ~10 minutes, when idling, it wants to die. 

New fuel pump and filter

Thanks to all!
   In the 10min. before it wants to die, Does it idle fine? How about fast idle? then very fast idle? notice any skips, missing? does it seem to run strong rev up fast? If all that seems fine I would check coil condenser carb like unkamonkey suggested. Faulty coil can work good at first fail as it warms up had it happen before to my late 48 can drive ya nuts. Good luck Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 3:44am
Also, you CAN blip the throttle while standing on the brake pedal.  It's called "heel-and-toeing".  You hold the brake with your toes and hit the throttle with your heel.  Ol' Unreliable requires it frequently.  Alternatively, you could use the hand throttle to up the revs at a stop.  That's the easy way, though.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
RA472A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA472A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 2:38pm
I fiddled with a similar issue on my neighbor's 2A.  I replaced his (relatively new ) condenser and it helped for a bit it seemed,but I noticed the new glass bowl fuel pump was not holding any  fuel.  I suspected leaking valve in the pump, so I replaced it with a metal top Carter.  They are a very good replacement pump for the L-head.  Anyway, to make a long story longer, I realized the short hose that went from an in line fuel filter to the fuel pump was brittle and not making a good, tight seal.  Replaced that and runs like a top ever since.  Sooo, check that.  Ethanol fuel is not kind to fuel hose.  If you still have the original steel lines, then tackle the condenser again and maybe again as folks have covered here.
Overland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 9:37pm

Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

In the 10min. before it wants to die, Does it idle fine? How about fast idle? then very fast idle? notice any skips, missing? does it seem to run strong rev up fast? If all that seems fine I would check coil condenser carb like unkamonkey suggested. Faulty coil can work good at first fail as it warms up had it happen before to my late 48 can drive ya nuts. Good luck Joe Wadoyado

It idles fine, comes of the line fine.  It doesn't always want to start right away, very often I end up pouring a bit of gas down the carb.  The odd thing, to me, is that when I do get to start it wants very little choke.

I checked the coil and all resistances are w/in spec.  Primary coil 1.1 Ohm, secondary 8.8 kOhm.

I'll check the condenser next.  I just have a multimeter so I guess I'll just charge it and see if it holds a charge.

Perhaps just rebuilding the carb is my best bet, don't know.

Originally posted by RA472A RA472A wrote:

I fiddled with a similar issue on my neighbor's 2A.  I replaced his (relatively new ) condenser and it helped for a bit it seemed,but I noticed the new glass bowl fuel pump was not holding any  fuel.  I suspected leaking valve in the pump, so I replaced it with a metal top Carter.  They are a very good replacement pump for the L-head.  Anyway, to make a long story longer, I realized the short hose that went from an in line fuel filter to the fuel pump was brittle and not making a good, tight seal.  Replaced that and runs like a top ever since.  Sooo, check that.  Ethanol fuel is not kind to fuel hose.  If you still have the original steel lines, then tackle the condenser again and maybe again as folks have covered here.

I replaced all the steel lines.  There is some rubber from fuel filter to pump, but brand new.

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Alternatively, you could use the hand throttle to up the revs at a stop.  That's the easy way, though.

Hand throttle?  Do you mean the choke?

Edited by Overland - 18 Apr. 2017 at 9:41pm
Overland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 12:21am
So update:

I started her up today.  What I said about her not needing much choke was apparently my #1 mistake.  When choked at ~90% she idled fast and stopped trying to die on me.  I drove for nearly half an hour no problem, then took her out again later.  So precise choke position is the key.

Is this indicative of a problem? Perhaps the idle jet or my fuel pump.  The pump is pretty much brand new, glass top from Kaiser.

I assume the carb needs a rebuild sometime but I'm trying to save that for next winter as she's on the road now and a whole barrel of fun!

Thanks to all for any past/future suggestions!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 2:58am

Hand throttle?  Do you mean the choke?

No, the knob (that should be) to the left of the choke knob on the other side of the dash light and connected to the throttle linkage on the carb.  It is supposed to say "throttle" on it. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 3:14am
My guess is you have a piece of goo in the idle jet.  Easy fix.  Pull the cap off of the jet and blast it with compressed air.  Recap and try.  90% of the time it is fixed.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 5:16am
It's beginning to sound more like a carb issue if you need to use that much choke to get it to run.
uncamonkey
Overland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

No, the knob (that should be) to the left of the choke knob on the other side of the dash light and connected to the throttle linkage on the carb.  It is supposed to say "throttle" on it. 

Ahh, my rig doesn't have that.  Might think of installing one in the future.  Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>