Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New body prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 10:17pm
I used a couple pieces of 1/2 inch conveyor belting cut about 3 inches wide. works real good. Every now and then I use the compressor and blow stuff out from around the tank. Seems to work just fine.
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 10:17pm
It seems like the more I do the more I have to do, and yes my garage is an incredible mess.

Edited by leecarr - 03 Dec. 2017 at 10:19pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 3:31am
It can't be too bad.  It looks like you have twice the garage I have, though I try not to suffer from garage envy.  Cry
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 5:27am
Lee I have mill envy !!!  And I can't get more then 30" away from the side of my tub. That's why I am going to put my rotisserie on castors next time I set it up to do the body filler and paint. So I can push it away from me as I work on a side. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 11:41pm
The garage is 30'x30' with 11' ceiling and 2 10'x10' OH doors. My father and I have rebuilt several trucks, bulldozers, etc. for our own use in there. We would redo something, use it for a while then sell it and buy a newer one and so on. I like the rotisserie idea too, definetly a back saver.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 2:19am
My garage is 20' X 30', but there are two rooms 10' X 10' at one end.  One of those rooms has the urinal.  Ceiling is only 9' high, and there is only one OH door, one-car-size on one side... and no door to the house, though it is attached to the house.  It's "different"...  Confused
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 3:18am
My shop is 19.5 x 32 with a 12 x 12 and a 6 x 6 rooms at one end and a 8 x 7 room at the other

The 8x7 is my tool room
the 12x 12 has my Belt grinders and Horizontal/ Vertical band saw with a small OLD wood lather a couple of wall mounted spindle machines (wire brush flap sander, stone wheel grinder cut off wheel)
The small room has a couple of wall mounted Buffing machines.

The main shop area has a mill a lathe a drill press lots of storage and piles of stuff. With one car sized area slowly filling up with Jeep parts.

One set of barn doors that open to the car stall area. Ceiling height is a little over 7ft.

Outside that I have a 19.5 x 22' car port normally free span but now has a wall running down the middle just off center making a shop stall 10 x 22 This is where most of the Jeep work gets done.

Its also what will soon become the body shop/ paint booth. The other side of the carport is storage and has my table saw and band saw and where I would set up my miter saw or planer when needed.

The main shop is also part of the house kind of like where a normal over sized garage would be but its never been a garage always been a shop of some sort.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 8:22pm
At least you have a garage! Some of us don't even have a driveway!
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 10:05pm
I'll let you use my driveway any time your on this side of the country, it may need plowing tomorrow though. 
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2017 at 9:06pm
Outside body work is done and ready for primer, glove box latch came in and that's all set. I think I'll prime the outside then stand it on edge to deal with the hole under the gas tank then it's all sanding and painting from there. Lots of little parts to paint then the wheels and top bows. You can see the Model T frame in the background that I have to do some work on now.
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2017 at 3:45am
Looking great man! I wish I was at the point you are. Thanks for documenting all this... it has been very helpful for me. I look forward to seeing color on that tub! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

I look forward to seeing color on that tub! 

Hear, hear!
geepincj7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geepincj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 4:35pm
The Jeep looks great! How do you like the Nason paint? I have used the Nason single stage to do some touch up work to a few of my Jeeps. The only complaint I have about it is the dry time. No matter what reducer I use or how I mix it I can't get the dry time to less than a few hours. 
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 4:48pm
I've used it before but it does dry slowly, make sure it's warm enough where you're painting. It has a nice shine. I've had a translucence problem with the Normandy blue on sharp corners and edges. What I've done is get some base coat the same color and cover the trouble spots first. Give it plenty time to dry, finger prints will show for a couple of days. 
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 9:48pm
Removed the tool box lid to make painting easier, I'll bolt it back on, anyone using one of these check the spot welds, I bet I could have yanked it off with out drilling the welds. Also cut the holes for the rear seat clips and made some clearance for the gas tank. Priming tomorrow then flip it to fix gas tank hole.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2017 at 9:55pm
Posting pictures is completely different procedure from PC to tablet to phone. I can only post 2 with the computer, any amount with the tablet or phone oh well.
Well I just proved myself wrong.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2017 at 8:00pm
One step closer to Normandy blue. The shinier the primer the easier it is to sand.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2017 at 8:01pm
I've always used a cheap spray gun to spray primer I even bought a new cheapo made for primer but I was never really 100% with the way the 2K primer came out, I thought that's just the way it was. I primed the tub yesterday, after lots of grief I threw the cheap gun in the trash can and used my good finish gun. No comparison, it came out so much smoother, it will save me a lot of time sanding and maybe able to eliminate a coat somewhere along the way. You learn something new everyday. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>