Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New body prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2017 at 9:05pm
Nason single stage urethane. 2 coats of urethane primer, 1 coat of urethane sealer and 4 coats of finish with lots of sanding in between. Dealing with the windshield the cowl seal and the latches now, major pain so far. I have to drag one of the other tubs out of my other building so I can cut out the glove box. I'm cutting it out of an M38 tub, I have the original data plates and a clean transferable title for it, the tub is repairable. If someone has a 2a tub, title and tags or just title and tags and whatever maybe we can make a deal. Just throwing that out there.

Edited by leecarr - 04 Sep. 2017 at 9:09pm
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 6:41pm
Finally got the windshield fit, lots of hours of heating, bending, cutting, welding, grinding and drilling new holes. Also got front top bow and door frame rods in and all adjusted. Top bow and windshield angles correct and all measurements match from side to side. Windshield to top bow brace needs to be lengthened and rear bow center section needs to be shortened. I was able to adjust the windshield latches so they go passed center plenty to stay latched but don't slam into the dashboard and ruin the paint when latched.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 10:56am
Tremendous work. Can't wait to see this in color. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 10:43pm
30 percent or lower pricing than MD Juan could mean Joe's Motorpool is sourcing its Willys body parts from China. That's what it appears to me. No way the Motorpool stuff is fabbed in the U.S. for that level of price reduction. So, do you want Phillipines-made or Chinese-made parts on your restored Jeep? This isn't a NAFTA issue at all....
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 12:46am
The color is nice and has a nice shine but I'm having a few coverage issues, I've used the same paint before with no problem, just this color, no biggy. The issue of where the parts are made is just a matter of price vs quality. We all know they will both be junk and we all know that we will never get U.S. made parts for anywhere near that, not when the burger guy wants $15.00/hr.
2/14Marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2/14Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 1:07am
Joe's motor pool is out of England. I believe some of there items are made in China. I'm not sure about body panels. Everything I've bought and seen is great quality. They are my first choice.

Javier 

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 1:39am
Has anyone ever seen the same part side by side? Check out the difference between an original windshield to cowl seal and a repop. The old one has obviously dried up but the new one is a lot bigger and the material should be a little harder.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 2:05am
That about my experience also. I didn't like the fit at the corners on the repop. It doesn't fit nicely on the sides which made it hard to fit the windshield.

I'm thinking of doing a little modification to the thickness at the corner.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 1:57am
I had the same problem with mine, it was too long by about 3 inches. I didn't cut it by length, I measured from the top of the windshield to the bottom of the seal on 2 original windshields and got the same measurement 4 times so that's how I measured the new one. Both corners where too tight so I had to reshape both arms, took an entire weekend just to do that. Adjusting it so that latches worked the way I want was another issue all together, I drilled new holes for the windshield mounts 3 times. Now it's the gas tank, the holes in the floor for the lines were off about 2 inches. Once I get the tank mounted and the filler neck centered in the hole I'll patch the hole I cut in the floor and redrill the original holes where they belong.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 12:08am
Gas tank in, strap was too long, lots of work to get it to fit. Inner windshield weather strip in, took about 2 hours but got it in in one piece. Tank needs to be shimed a bit to make filler neck centered but it will go.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 12:47am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

I had the same problem with mine, it was too long by about 3 inches. I didn't cut it by length, I measured from the top of the windshield to the bottom of the seal on 2 original windshields and got the same measurement 4 times so that's how I measured the new one. Both corners where too tight so I had to reshape both arms, took an entire weekend just to do that. Adjusting it so that latches worked the way I want was another issue all together, I drilled new holes for the windshield mounts 3 times. Now it's the gas tank, the holes in the floor for the lines were off about 2 inches. Once I get the tank mounted and the filler neck centered in the hole I'll patch the hole I cut in the floor and redrill the original holes where they belong.
I had the same experience. The gas tank doesn't want to fit where it belongs...of course the gas tank was a repop also...

Anyway, it's in and operating.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 11:23pm
I'll have to do some welding when I flip the body over, some of the seams opened up a bit while making the gas tank fit. I can do a lot of repairs to my tub in the same amount of time I've spent on this one, maybe I'm just way too fussy. I would like to see some Joe's motorpool parts to see if they are any better, does anybody have any experience with them?

Edited by leecarr - 26 Sep. 2017 at 11:25pm
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2017 at 6:48pm
Got the top on, fits great now I can take everything apart.
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2017 at 7:23pm
dang, looking sweet
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2017 at 12:29am
Nice top!  Jpet?

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Willy M Willy M wrote:

Nice top!  Jpet?

Beachwood top, top bows needed some tweaking (do you know where I can get some better ones? ).Ebay specials I believe.

Edited by leecarr - 09 Oct. 2017 at 6:21pm
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2017 at 6:32pm
All apart again, next time together should be the last.

I'll weld a plate behind here with just one hole.

Top bows store properly without hitting or scraping.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2017 at 6:37pm
More blue stuff. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>