Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New body prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2017 at 6:47pm
Nice work, Lee. You have way more patience than I did.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2017 at 8:34pm
Yep, nice work. My brother asked why I spent so much time out there doing body work on the 3B instead of just buying a new body. My Jeep and I didn't have to mess around to get things to fit like on a replacement body. It cost less and I saved the extra time involved to fix everything.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2017 at 8:45pm
I'm doing this one for a friend of mine,  my own will be a mix of original parts form 4 or so jeeps and a little  Henry J thrown in for good measure. 
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2017 at 9:30pm
Warm here today able to work with the doors open again, hard to tell with the weird lite but this corner is straight both ways now.

Passenger side not as bad as driver side. I don't know why it's called a flat fender, I haven't found a flat spot yet.

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2017 at 10:10pm
Nice hoist!! This is in your garage? Lucky You. Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2017 at 10:56pm
We put the lift in a long time after the garage was built. Had to cut a  3ft x 3ft hole in the concrete floor and dig a hole 9ft deep, guess who was down in the hole. My father has one in his garage too but we put it in while were building it (much easier).
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2017 at 8:25pm
I thought this side was going to be better.
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2017 at 11:13pm
Excellent work Lee and I love that lift. Keep up the good work
RWILLYS (Space R)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2017 at 11:17pm
Looking real good Lee! I sure could learn a thing or two from you regarding body work! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 9:00pm
Another spot that will need attention, this would be a nasty squeak and maybe a hole worn in the tank. Even when fastened down the tank is bound to move a tiny bit, I'll heat it up and tap the corner of the tunnel down with a big chunk of round steel I have.

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 9:14pm
Lee, thanks for pointing out this small but critical interface. Very useful for those of us restoring early jeeps. You're correct about the potential for problems in this area. What does the Willys-Overland parts book show for the fuel tank assembly--are there supposed to be buffers/cushion strips underneath the tank? I wonder if a few strips of dense, closed-cell foam would work in isolating the tank from the surrounding tub floor? 
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 9:42pm
I have the stuff that is supposed to be there but I'm not going to use it, it's like thick felt and I'm afraid it might hold water. I have some rubber roofing scraps, it's made by Goodyear and is just like a tire tube but a little thicker. I'll cut strips of it and put as many as I need ,I'm going to put a piece between the back of the tank and the rear floor rise too. 
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 9:51pm
Yes, whatever you use there cannot be absorptive. Thick rubber roofing membrane with some adhesive may be just the ticket in that application. Please take photos of whatever solution you devise.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2017 at 11:10pm
Yep. My brother used carpet under the gas tanks so when I bought it, I had rust issues. When I reinstalled the tanks I used sections of a tire off of my old VW.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2017 at 12:14am
The stuff I'm using will be in layers so I can make it fit as needed, most of this stuff I just make up as I go along. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2017 at 1:03am
That's called thinking outside of the box. When I put the repaired tanks back in I wondered which way to orient the strips so as to keep water out or to keep stuff from sliding in from the side. I opted for water. I still have to dig a glove out from under the tank once in a while.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2017 at 1:10am
Box, we don't need no stinking box.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 9:01pm
That tub going to be straight when done ,nice body work ,it looks like you did that before Lee well done.👍
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>