Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New body prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 11:30pm
With any luck the top will look just as good. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 3:24am
You do good work.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 8:16pm
From what I see from the paint on the bottom of your tub.The top of the tub is going to look great.Will done,keep the pictures coming.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 9:13pm
Going to mask off the bottom tomorrow then flip it over and try and get the inside sanded and painted. 
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 12:51am
Great work and love that color........
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:38pm
Masked and flipped, ready to sand one more time and paint, it's Normandy blue. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 12:44am
If you're going to paint the top/outside the same color.... why bother to mask off the bottom?  There's perfectionism and then there's OCD...  Bear in mind though that I painted Ol' Unreliable with a brush and had to make it two-tone because I didn't have enough of the first color left, so I am NOT criticizing!
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 1:35am
I don't want any over spray on the part I already painted, pretty bad huh.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 2:24am
Something I wish I had done.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:12am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

No, not that bad--unless it costs you sleep.  Again, not criticizing, just trying to ease your anguish.  Wink  Jeeps were never painted all that well originally.  Never having painted a tub with spray, how much overspray would you get?  What if you shot another coat on the firewall and inside the rear wheel wells, would there be a problem then? 
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 12:32pm
We all appreciate attention to detail in any vehicle restoration, but a bit of errant paint dust on the underside of a CJ2A body tub will not be a concern for anyone looking at your paintwork.  
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 11:25pm
I know way over kill but it's the way I like to do things,  even the gent that owns it says I'm way too fussy. I tell him it's in my garage now and it won't leave until it looks the way I want it to. You should see the model a roadster I did for him a couple of years ago  even fussier than this, all wet sanded to 2000 and buffed.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

No, not that bad--unless it costs you sleep.  Again, not criticizing, just trying to ease your anguish.  Wink  Jeeps were never painted all that well originally.  Never having painted a tub with spray, how much overspray would you get?  What if you shot another coat on the firewall and inside the rear wheel wells, would there be a problem then? 

This is just how high caliber work is done, specially if someone else is footing the bill. Overspray on fresh paint would be unacceptable. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 3:14am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

This is just how high caliber work is done, specially if someone else is footing the bill. Overspray on fresh paint would be unacceptable. 

That's why I was wondering about shooting another coat on the firewall; then it wouldn't be overspray. 

Can you even see overspray if it's the same color?

Just asking...
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 3:56am
The overspray for a painter is a nightmare.  It dulls and roughens the finished surface. It is worse with dark shiny colors.  IMHO, it ruins the finish.

If you can't effectively paint all surfaces in one round, masking off the first surface is a great approach.  I do this too.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 12:11pm
Agreed, regarding firewall and any visible/touchable surface. The underbody, not so much--unless you're building the jeep to win AACA nationals.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 2:47pm
It can be difficult to get a good finish on both sides of some of these parts at the same time and I like to paint things in the same orientation that they will be in when done. The grill, tailgate and windshield parts were easy to hang but the fenders and hood were painted one side at a time. 
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 5:30pm
I hung this roadster body from a chain fall in my garage to paint the bottom then the bottom and entire interior was covered when I painted the outside. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>